Johnny Russell - Will he sign a new contract?

Cam the Ram

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Possibly Doodle. 

He was just the same at Blackburn and Ipswich. 

Like a racing car that keeps crashing on the last lap while overtaking for first place. Every. Race. It's exciting up until the point it becomes really really tedious.

I think he can give the false impression of a player who's dangerous when he actually does nothing. 

Agree the ability is there. Just might never come out. 

Alpha have to agree although at Ipswich he had a much freer role  He's definitely does not seem happy having to track back I'm sure the ability is there its just the role he's having to play Maybe a spell out of the side may help him because I don't like saying it but Weimann even look more of a danger than Lawrence last night 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately we need the coaches to try and coach that final pass or the killer run into him. TV analysis will constantly show him his 'mistakes' where he could do this.

Then it's up to him to learn this and adapt his game. If he does this, he will be a really good player and a Premiership one at that. If we have reached his peak then he will always be a good solid Champ player.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

As much as you may hate him, the truth hurts sometimes. Weimann has been our best wide man this year, no one will agree with me mind, but that’s the way I see it.

I don't hate him. We shouldn't have bought him when we did as he didn't fit our system. He now fits our system and I am happy for him to be on the bench with our current squad. 

Just now, sage said:

I don't hate him. We shouldn't have bought him when we did as he didn't fit our system. He now fits our system and I am happy for him to be on the bench with our current squad. 

Agree with the first point, don’t think clement actually knew what he was. But don’t get why he should be on the bench, when played on the right he’s our best winger imo, much more intelligent than Russell, if technically more deficient. Need another left winger imo, there’s no competitor For Lawrence, Russell and Weimann are both ***** out there.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

As much as you may hate him, the truth hurts sometimes. Weimann has been our best wide man this year, no one will agree with me mind, but that’s the way I see it.

He’s not the “best” player but I’d agree he’s been the best one and prob should start.

He is the one wide player we have who the opponents simply hate playing against- he never stops he can beat them on the inside on the outside and can cross it and run with it. He wins free kicks he wins penalties and scores goals, sure half the time it goes wrong but that’s the nature of where he plays but he wins his teams points 

Like Forsyth, I would not offer Russell a new contract. Both in my opinion are very good championship players at best. Possibly very good League 1 players on one of their off days. Both will try their hearts out, which is very admirable. But if we are promoted, both will be well out of their depth, if not promoted, both will be part of the reason why. We should have learned by now offering lucrative and lengthy contracts to players who are not good enough to make the next step up isn’t good business. 

I thought russell had his best game of the seadon yesterday.

tremendous free kick strike against the bar

great run to the byeline to set up lawrence.

thats two good things in one game!

Russell's written himself into the Derby folklore anyway. People can can this and that about him, but he's shown he's important to this current system, he'S showed he's important to the previous few go's. His strike against forest, had it been in the world cup final, abeit may aswell have should've been, woz aswell. That would have been glorified as genius. a "worldy" as they say. he'S useful, he's positive, he's managed to adapt to fit in somewhere in all of the teams in the last 5 years and ... he's pretty much as good as he was when we got him. he's not too much better either one could argue but, i'd give him a contract. hat tip to Russell, he's a proper ram

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

great run to the byeline to set up lawrence.

thats two good things in one game!

If its the run I think your talking about where he went outside of the defender to the byeline, he actually lost it and the defender kicked it back to Derby... so thats one good thing :D

He is like marmite, love him or hate him, not much inbetween. I like Marmite but cant stand Russel, he has virtually no end product, somebody mentioned it earlier about where he stands as attacks build, he does actually stand next to a defender most of the time. Its okay scaring defenders but if you dont do anything with it except sometimes get a lucky ricochet then its pointless.

18 hours ago, sage said:

Not the greatest winger in the world, but the greatest winger at the club. 

That does not say much for our current style of play that we do not wish for a player who can pass accurately , just a headless chicken runner.

Russell's suicidal flick when defending in our own penalty area  ( on Friday ) sums up his casual thoughtless approach. People seem to have forgotten the great goals ( not too many ) that he scored when he first arrived.

I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision on new contract ,,,,, I really like Russell but in the same measure he drives me nuts with some real horror end product , problem is if that shot goes in off the bar or the run where he forced the error off the defender to Lawrence is converted and we win the game it’s a whole different picture and other stuff can be forgotten if he is playing a vital part in match winning moments ,,, gonna pass responsibility on this one ,,,,   I would say though that he offers more than some credit him with but can fully understand that as he is frustrating as ****

Points in his favour.....

he is in the team on merit.

he's playing better than the £7m man

he's stopped blasting it into his own net from 18 yards

sign him up.

we always try and dump him on Sunderland if we change our minds.

Archived