Johnny Russell - Will he sign a new contract?

Cam the Ram

I remember reading that Rowett said Thorne had been offered a new deal and as we've seen today, thankfully he's signed that. I don't however remember seeing anything about Russell being offered a new deal, has anyone else? I think in these past few weeks he's looked back to his best and I certainly hope he stays. A Johnny Russell playing full of confidence is easily one of the better wingers in this league and it would be awful business to lose him on a free, especially if it's to another Championship team and we don't go up

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I also haven't heard Rowett be asked about Russell specifically, as he was about Thorne.

But, if we don't offer him one before the end of the season - if he's playing regularly enough, and we don't get promoted, I think we will (probably) offer him a renewal. I think in that situation its unlikely he gets a better offer elsewhere, either in terms of money or where he wants to be.

I think if we get promoted, we'll just let him go.

If we get promoted, a lot of our squad won't survive the summer - that's just the reality of it. 

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I remember reading that Rowett said Thorne had been offered a new deal and as we've seen today, thankfully he's signed that. I don't however remember seeing anything about Russell being offered a new deal, has anyone else? I think in these past few weeks he's looked back to his best and I certainly hope he stays. A Johnny Russell playing full of confidence is easily one of the better wingers in this league and it would be awful business to lose him on a free, especially if it's to another Championship team and we don't go up

Here you go :-

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/george-thorne-johnny-russell-contracts-1057637

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Ah well there you have it then. @Cam the Ram just spreading misinformation!

To be fair, in that piece Rowett doesn't mention Russell specifically, but the Derby Telegraph state 'they understand' both Thorne and him were offered new deals. So everyone's right, Rowett hasn't mentioned Johnny specifically but there are reasons to believe he has been offered one

I'd keep him on. Still a very good Championship player. If we go up, I'm not sure how much use he'll be but with a couple years on a contract, if he was available for sale for £3-4mil in the summer I'm sure we'd have plenty of takers at this level.

Certainly not worth letting go on a free.

2 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Johnny loves to put a few big performances together when his contract is coming to an end.

Saying that, he's been a great servant to the club and I'd be sad to see him go!

I think think he’s been worse than ever recently, if I’m honest 

17 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think think he’s been worse than ever recently, if I’m honest 

I presume you say this in jest?

Archived