Johnny Russell - Will he sign a new contract?

Cam the Ram

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Doodle said:

Like Forsyth, I would not offer Russell a new contract. Both in my opinion are very good championship players at best. Possibly very good League 1 players on one of their off days. Both will try their hearts out, which is very admirable. But if we are promoted, both will be well out of their depth, if not promoted, both will be part of the reason why. We should have learned by now offering lucrative and lengthy contracts to players who are not good enough to make the next step up isn’t good business. 

The problem is that we aren't yet promoted and there is no guarantee we will be . Letting Forsyth and Russell leave for nothing won't help if we aren't promoted. Renewing their contracts enables Derby to transfer them for a fee if their services are not required in the Premier League.

Well, I just gave him one (a new contract that is) on FM18 and as I know my onions about this footy management mallarky I reckon GR and JR should be following my lead.

Mind you, I just lost 6-1 at home to Preston, so on the other hand...

3 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Only to Dubai I think. Which makes you think this issue won't be resolved until they get back.

On 20/01/2018 at 13:45, sage said:

Not the greatest winger in the world, but the greatest winger at the club. 

Even that's debatable 

9 minutes ago, Topram said:

If we were to get someone else in and a decent offer for him you'd have to let him go! His end product isn't great! But he's certainly shouldn't be let go for free... plenty worse than him 

That's about the nicest thing you've ever said about our Johnny.

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

That's about the nicest thing you've ever said about our Johnny.

I've always liked him but as we got better he seemed to disappear, he's been better over the last 5/10 games I still feel for Weimann being dropped! Johnny needs to improve on his end product because he gets into great positions... better end product and we'd of won on Friday not just him though Lawrence and others just the same 

To be honest at this point I am neutral. Think we can get just as good if not better for the same salary and if we get a decent a fee then let’s move on.

Always likes hi, but been a bit too obvious in his interviews recently about not playing. Not been the same since his jocks mate left for Cardiff imho.

I've said it before and will say it again, he is so frustrating. One occasion he will run at defenders and have them on toast with one of his runs but a few minutes later in a position to run at his defender again he will go back to his full back. If you've got the beating of you're opposite number keep going at him. Sometimes his movement, or lack of it, baffles me too. I would like to see him stay but if we could upgrade then I wouldn't argue if he left. For me, when he is good he is good but when he isn't he is terrible and he isn't good often enough.

As frustrating as Johnny can be at times he has been a complete different player since he was dropped from the squad.

Rowett has got all the wingers + Vydra playing so much more direct, in past seasons the likes of Weimann + Russell's first instinct was to turn back and pass backwards/sideways but now all of the 'flair' players i've mentioned first instinct is to turn and attack. Obviously it doesn't happen every time but most of the time it does.

In past seasons one of my biggest problems with Johnny is that he never took players on, since his return to the team he is so much more direct, yes his final decision isn't always spot on but I think he has almost as many goals + assists now than he did all of last season.

After his performances under Rowett I personally would keep him and hope he will renew but if he hasn't by the end of this week I would look to cash in and replace him this window.

34 minutes ago, Bazal77 said:

As much as I like johnny as a player I can’t seem him being with us long term, I just don’t think he’s cut out for champions league football. 

He's cut out for the championship when we come back down... and our Super Foreign signing who replaced Johnny in our PL Campaign sees fit to jump ship, because frankly ther championship is beneath him.

Archived