Best Rams keeper

TheresOnlyWanChope

Who is the best keeper Derby have had since the mid 90s?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Carson has been immense this season and last, wondering how he is compared to other Rams keepers. Poom was an amazing shot stopper but so is Carson. I used to think Lee Grant and Fielding were quality too. Shilton was a bit before my time and he was maybe a bit past his prime by all accounts but is still considered one of the best we've had so I am curious to what others think.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shilton, whilst on the wane when he came to us was awesome. A lot of fans give him stick, usually for Italia 90 and the penalty shootout (if you watch teh penalties, they were nigh on perfect by the Germans) but we'd have been relegated without him, those of us that saw him up at Newcastle for the 0-0 when Coxy demanded his shirt as a memento after 90 mins will know what I mean. Then he was part of teh side that helped get us to 5th in teh top division, his performance at Highbury that season was majestic. He didn't drop many clangers for us, but by the time he was playing in the second division for us he was shot.

Poom was another excellent keeper (aided by the coaching of Eric Steele) who again did it in the top division for us.

Carson (an Eric Steele suggested signing before the club/Rush/Clement sacked him) has been utterly consistent and a main factor in our solidity this season, I think he's on a par with Poom and just behind Shilton but all three are top quality keepers .

In my opinion of course.

Can't remember as far back as Shilton but Carson is the best we've had since Poom without a doubt for me. A couple of seasons doing it in the top division and he may surpass Poom in my eyes, which 9 year old me would never think possible.

Of all the current players you'd go on the session with, Carson would be the one you'd pick anorl.

Dont think Carson is far from proving himself as good as any keeper we have had certainly one of our best,find it hard to fault his performances week in and out. Questions of his distribution ect, but all keepers have areas of their game that can be criticised.

Big fan of the lad ,cant think of anyone else who would be any better for us in the country.

Archived