Best Rams keeper

TheresOnlyWanChope

Who is the best keeper Derby have had since the mid 90s?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shilton was immense. The 1st keeper I can actually remember and understand how good he was. But he was on the aging side when he joined and his fitness meant he was prone to flap (occasionally)....and his kicking was average even for back then. Although his reflexes were superb....I remember a point blank save from a header about 3 yards out at the Normanton end (have to see if there is footage) Overall, the best goalkeeper to play for Derby, but not the best Derby Keeper.

Poom on the other hand was truly world class. Shot stopping, catching, comanding, one on ones....and penalties. The only reason he didn’t leave is that the big clubs had settled goalkeepers and we had pulled him from obscurity and he was loyal. And we could afford to keep him!

Carson is looking good to come a creditable third..similar to Shilton in many ways..Martin was really good after he got over the pressure of following Shilton. I’m sure there was talk of an England call up just before his horror injury?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, richinspain said:

Those having a pop at Martin Taylor, is it because of his links with Nigel Clough? He was an excellent keeper, at least up until the broken leg. I felt he was a worthy successor to Shilton, who although wasn’t anywhere near his best when he finished with us, was one of the best keepers ever who maintained a very high standard in his early years with us. Shilton got my vote, but Taylor was a close second (Poom although an excellent keeper I only saw for one season before moving to Spain, and as tinternet wasn’t around then I couldn’t give an honest  opinion).

I can't really see anyone who has had a pop at Taylor?

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Cant believe Roy Carroll isnt up there...especially after this masterclass in goalkeeping.

I had absolutely no recollection of that game. Impressed with my brain's ability to completely excise it. I had thought Carroll was half-decent, but that video shows just how much the whole team had fallen apart. We need to get promoted and show the world how muc better than that we really are.

51 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I can't really see anyone who has had a pop at Taylor?

You’re right, sorry. Just had a look back and what I’d read was this.

22 hours ago, 1of4 said:

How can you put the likes of Hoult, Taylor and Fielding on a list of the best Derby keepers and miss off Colin Boulton?

Carson has been fantastic this season and last season, but the best goalkeeper I have seen play for the Rams is deffo, Peter Shilton, he was the best shop stopper I have ever seen, that game away to Newcastle was the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen, Shilton also was a very good talker and organiser, and I think he got the best out of Mark Wright ( my favourite centre back for Derby), Poom was also very good, so at the moment my top five goalkeepers for Derby are, Shilton, Poom, Carson, Taylor and Hoult.

On 13 January 2018 at 17:35, Mick Harford said:

Shilton, whilst on the wane when he came to us was awesome. A lot of fans give him stick, usually for Italia 90 and the penalty shootout (if you watch teh penalties, they were nigh on perfect by the Germans) but we'd have been relegated without him, those of us that saw him up at Newcastle for the 0-0 when Coxy demanded his shirt as a memento after 90 mins will know what I mean. Then he was part of teh side that helped get us to 5th in teh top division, his performance at Highbury that season was majestic. He didn't drop many clangers for us, but by the time he was playing in the second division for us he was shot.

The famous "Cox gets Shiltons shirt" match referred to by Mick Harford.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhwgcVAYVo

Shilton is the best I've seen and that includes Ken Oxford and Reg Matthews!:lol:

TobyWanKenobi
On 1/13/2018 at 21:39, Charlie George said:

Not even close between Poom and Carson.Poom in my opinion the best keeper I've seen in a Derby shirt and genuinely world class. How he never played for one of the big guns when he was in his prime I know not.

Carson has become an excellent keeper over the last year or so.Had my doubts previously as I thought he was slow going to ground but improved massively under Rowett.Definitely worth a chance in an England squad and now the best keeper outside the Prem.

I think the lack of EU status probably hurt Pooms career in that regards quite a  bit. Not sure on the rules these days but back 90's way, you were only allowed 3 non EU players. I think the same reason also also cost Asanovic a longer career with us tbh what with us having Stimac, Wanchope, Solis and Poom to consider as well.

The EU gentleman. It's good to be in it. :D

Most of the keepers mentioned have probably had at least one excellent season, so it's hard to pick one as a stand out all time keeper. I'm not a fan of Fielding, but all the others I do rate. Of course Colin Boulton has to be recognised due to the fact that he achieved the most success with DCFC as an ever present in two Div 1 (then the top English league) championship winning campaigns.

9 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

The famous "Cox gets Shiltons shirt" match referred to by Mick Harford.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhwgcVAYVo

Shilton is the best I've seen and that includes Ken Oxford and Reg Matthews!:lol:

Ken was my first ever goalkeeping coach when I was a nipper, an absolute gentleman.

In later life he became a security guard for Securicor, and was once robbed whilst he was collecting cash. He was hit over the head, but he dropped to the floor and curled himself around his box of cash like it was a football and wouldn't let go.

I don’t know how many times I’ve recalled on here the time in Mother care when my daughter was charging for the open door and Poom walked in and picked her up and gave her to me. Every one said Should be glad he didn’t bounce her three times and kick her down the shop. .. boom 

still voted Shilts.  Tina ? 

I went Poom I thought he was awesome, as good as Shilts in his prime for me but definately better than the Shilts we had here at Derby.

Special mention for me goes out to Taylor - I thought he was good and improving until that injury seemed to stop him in his tracks.

I also wonder how many of those 5 'other' votes are for Camp ? Which could put him above Fielding and Grant.

And how many people here think the 70's are in the last 3 decades ? Although I remember them like yesterday I think they are more than that.

The question with Shilts is was he in his Prime when he was at Derby. I think he might have been past his prime slightly.

Wasnt he 40? when he played for us and England at Italia 90?

Shilton in my mind had his good games, and many great saves, where he kept us in games. But I still think he was better a few years earlier maybe when at the red dogs. I seemed to remember he wasnt the greatest under pressure from high balls against the likes of Wimbledon.

Archived