Best Rams keeper

TheresOnlyWanChope

Who is the best keeper Derby have had since the mid 90s?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

How can you put the likes of Hoult, Taylor and Fielding on a list of the best Derby keepers and miss off Colin Boulton?

something something three decades

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard comparing keepers from today against keepers from 30 years ago, the game has changed so much.

Shilts whilst a good shopper would have struggled with the back pass rule change in my opinion, his kicking was awful, he could only just about reach the halfway line kicking out of his hands!

Martin Taylor was very good, shame about the injury when he was peaking.

Poom for me has been the best all round goalkeeper for me. Good shot stopper,  commanded his area and had good distribution. 

Carson great shot stopper but don't think he commands his area and his distribution is dodgy. Won't deny that he has made a lot of vital saves this season though.

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Can't remember as far back as Shilton but Carson is the best we've had since Poom without a doubt for me. A couple of seasons doing it in the top division and he may surpass Poom in my eyes, which 9 year old me would never think possible.

Of all the current players you'd go on the session with, Carson would be the one you'd pick anorl.

I never understand the top division argument for goalkeepers

A point blank save’s a point blank save, whether it’s off of Gary Madine’s jeb-end or Harry Kane’s boot!

Not even close between Poom and Carson.Poom in my opinion the best keeper I've seen in a Derby shirt and genuinely world class. How he never played for one of the big guns when he was in his prime I know not.

Carson has become an excellent keeper over the last year or so.Had my doubts previously as I thought he was slow going to ground but improved massively under Rowett.Definitely worth a chance in an England squad and now the best keeper outside the Prem.

7 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but after a shaky start Martin Taylor was immense until he got his injury, and was never quite as good afterwards.

Voted for Shilts though, best I've seen.

1st game very late 80's.

Taylor was one of my favourite players growing up. He used to go in a pub I ran a few years ago. Top bloke. Was on the verge of signing for Chelsea along with Paul Williams before he got injured.

Those having a pop at Martin Taylor, is it because of his links with Nigel Clough? He was an excellent keeper, at least up until the broken leg. I felt he was a worthy successor to Shilton, who although wasn’t anywhere near his best when he finished with us, was one of the best keepers ever who maintained a very high standard in his early years with us. Shilton got my vote, but Taylor was a close second (Poom although an excellent keeper I only saw for one season before moving to Spain, and as tinternet wasn’t around then I couldn’t give an honest  opinion).

5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Those having a pop at Martin Taylor, is it because of his links with Nigel Clough? He was an excellent keeper, at least up until the broken leg. I felt he was a worthy successor to Shilton, who although wasn’t anywhere near his best when he finished with us, was one of the best keepers ever who maintained a very high standard in his early years with us. Shilton got my vote, but Taylor was a close second (Poom although an excellent keeper I only saw for one season before moving to Spain, and as tinternet wasn’t around then I couldn’t give an honest  opinion).

He was excellent yes, had a decent career after he left us though, not at the highest level but played a lot for Wycombe.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Cant believe Roy Carroll isnt up there...especially after this masterclass in goalkeeping.

The worst goalkeeping performance i have ever seen. Not just the worst for Derby.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

The worst goalkeeping performance i have ever seen. Not just the worst for Derby.

We were 'fortunate enough' to be sat in the North Stand that day which gave us the most beautiful view of Petrov's shot from 50 yards.

That one goal seemed to sum up the whole of that wretched season in one shot. 

Archived