Stoke fans want Rowett....

RamontheMoor

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

As well as more money to work with, a better crop of players, and the simple fact that they're in the Premier League and we're not (yet). 

I appreciate that yes, they're Stoke, and we're on a crest, just like we were on a crest under McClaren, but things can change quickly in football. Say we lose our next three league games. Those upstairs get a little irritated. Play-off chances start to slip. The boo-boys reappear all of a sudden. Might Rowett suddenly think: "Hang on, Premier League clubs are coming calling and I'm potentially always five games away from being in trouble at Derby....should I?..."

It could happen.

When we've sacked managers for being top 5, finishing top 6, before October's out and pulling a team from the relegation spots to top 6, before falling back to 8th, it's a reasonable position to take as a manager.

Only one person to blame, and he couldn't moan too much should it happen.

Let's hope it doesn't.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

When we've sacked managers for being top 5, finishing top 6, before October's out and pulling a team from the relegation spots to top 6, before falling back to 8th, it's a reasonable position to take as a manager.

Only one person to blame, and he couldn't moan too much should it happen.

Let's hope it doesn't.

And according to @eddie I've orchestrated all this! Mwah hah hah ha ha! :whistle:

Just how paranoid are we to be worrying about this?

God bless gr,but we are halfway through a season in the championship,not playing particularly well all the time but achieving some decent results.....it's surely not that intoxicating yet that he is irresistible to premiership clubs???

If imagine that if we achieve the autos and Gary gets us playing in the manner he wants us to,then things could change but there's some way to go yet.

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Hope this is sarcasm.  Situation a bit different; Stoke still have a manager and apart from a few fans expressing an opinion there is nothing remotely serious linking him to the job... but then again, you are probably being sarcastic!

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

On the basis of what - a few fans on social media saying they want him to be their manager when, for now at least, they still have Mark Hughes?

This is getting ridiculous 

Newcastle had a manager as well, didn't stop Mac getting slaughtered by some.

It's a tribute to Rowett that he's third in their poll (behind Rodgers ad Koeman), but the Stoke fans are saying he's probably got more to lose than gain by going there when he can take us up instead and, even if that didn't happen, another chance would come his way next year given his standing.

It's no surprise that Stoke fans would be open to the idea of Rowett, especially as he would be a realistic option. 

I can't buy the fact that he wouldn't be interested or that he would be stupid for turning it down.

Stoke are an established Premier League side; they've been there for nearly 10 seasons now. In that time, I don't think they've ever seriously been involved in a relegation battle and managed a few top half finishes. They have an owner who has a good reputation, certainly one for supporting managers and backing them in the transfer market. I would stress that Peter Coates is certainly seen as a more 'stable' chairman to work under than our very own Mel - from the outside looking in. 

It's easy to get caught up in the 'Derby are a bigger club' argument, but the height of our expectations and where we want to be is where Stoke currently are. Stoke are obviously in an uncertain position at the moment, but I'd still argue that it's an easier job for Rowett to keep them in the Premier League than it is for us to be taken into the Premier League. 

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

another chance would come his way next year given his standing

Look at Howe, Hughton, Dyche... where are the offers for these managers who have achieved exactly what Rowett is definitely about to achieve? The bigger clubs are shipping in managers from Argentina, which is hopefully what Stoke will do leaving Gary to concentrate on turning the Rams in to a top 10 premier league team. Then after a few years he can take the England job with my blessing.

Rowett going to Stoke would be like Will Hughes going to somewhere like Watford. Never gonna happen.

It’s not unfeasable but I’d like to think it’s unlikely. Yes stoke’s as easy on the eye as Katie price first thing in the morning (or any time of day for that matter), and most of us recall them being a nothing club at our current level or below, but it’s an opportunity to be employed at an established club at a higher level for a young, ambitious manager. Survival is still very possible with them the chance to kick on next season well supported on all fronts.

That said, with no basis whatsoever, I’d like to think Rowett would like to finish stage one here due to his history with the club, the lack of achieving promotion from this league and how such an opportunity was whisked away from him cruelly at Brum. As ambitious as he is, he comes across as someone with a lot of integrity and long term projects/plans in place. 

1 minute ago, Red_ram said:

It’s not unfeasable but I’d like to think it’s unlikely. Yes stoke’s as easy on the eye as Katie price first thing in the morning (or any time of day for that matter), and most of us recall them being a nothing club at our current level or below, but it’s an opportunity to be employed at an established club at a higher level for a young, ambitious manager. Survival is still very possible with them the chance to kick on next season well supported on all fronts.

That said, with no basis whatsoever, I’d like to think Rowett would like to finish stage one here due to his history with the club, the lack of achieving promotion from this league and how such an opportunity was whisked away from him cruelly at Brum. As ambitious as he is, he comes across as someone with a lot of integrity and long term projects/plans in place. 

Hopefully so.....I think he will stick with us.

He has the the Derby world at his feet here,great stadium,world class training facilities,local hero status and a chairman currently backing him to the hilt.

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

Correct, but Stoke fans living in Stoke also have 2 heads, 2 ears and 2 penises, and that's just the women.

2 ears?!

That's disgusting! 

Utter freaks.

This is where our previous with managers worries me a bit. I hope he stays...but it does occur to me why would Rowett feel loyal? Clement went when results dipped and we were around the playoffs, Pearson had barely got his feet under the table before at least in part his lack of pretty football tipped him over the edge and Steve bit the bullet partly for fluttering his eyelashes at other teams. Why wouldn't Rowett at least consider it was time to move to a top flight team with a history of loyalty to managers when he knows we have a bit of a history of getting rid at the first sign of a bump in the road. 

Archived