Ipswich Town F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

Just back from our first away trip of the season

Great result and , more importantly, what a performance.

A month ago I was telling my local Forest friends that, whilst we were clearly far better than them, I wasn't sure that we had enough special about us to become a genuine automatic place contender. Well, that first half performance today has changed that : we were superb, really fantastic football, totally in control, very unlucky indeed not to be three up at half time. It was inevitable that we would come under more pressure in the second half, but we withstood it and still kept making chances.

Brilliant support from the Rams fans - not just in numbers and noise but attitude. At PP I sit in front of two of the biggest moaners (always about our players, never the opposition) in the universe however well we play, no matter what the score - such a relief at Ipswich to be surrounded by positivity and genuine support - must go away more often.

Seems to me that we are getting better and better. And just at the right time. The players who came in not having played in a while - Winnall, Thorne, Wisdom - were brilliant. It really just shows what strength in depth we have, and what a good team spirit and togetherness we appear to have.

All augurs well for the New Year but still a long way to go of course. Really like Gary's pragmatism in not getting excited or carried away, or shouting his mouth off about how good we are. 

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

See you just made it more laughable because you can't fookin read can ya. I said prematch and a half time. Prematch he was ambling at the back, did not even do some of the drills. I agree at half time, nobody puts much effort in but conveniently you ignored the pre-match bit. 

You'd not have been a Paul McGrath fan then? Or others - what nonsense to slate a player for not putting in full effort in a warm up!

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You'd not have been a Paul McGrath fan then? Or others - what nonsense to slate a player for not putting in full effort in a warm up!

MEGA LOLZZZZZZZZ

Great away day, could have been in the bag by HT, but that early Winnall strike killed it, even though they got one back, thought we had them at arms length.

We got leggy last 15, but we were so sharp that first 75 we looked a league above Ipswich....

Whoever invented that Joe Hart song my lads were laughing their heads off..... mind I’m sure the Wendies will claim it as their own.

Onto whatever day New Years Day is against the blunts...... big pivotal moments. Believe..... just believe. 

Tremendous result. Looking forward to watching it asap.

great team selection as we were clearly short of energy v hull 

spent the day at a family do with a hidden radio and earpiece. got rumbled but worth it.

that gives us a team selection headache. 

Keep your chin up chris martin.

i'm convinced you still have a part to play this season. 

After the Burton game, we were 6th and eight points adrift of Cardiff. Look at us now - sitting in 2nd outright!

It's exciting but it's also normal to be a little wary, as things can change so quickly and dramatically in this division.

I think it's good to stay grounded. We just need to keep ticking along and see where it takes us. We could do without putting any additional pressure on ourselves. This is far and beyond what anyone expected at the start of the season after all.

The most pleasing thing for me is the cushion we have to 7th place. If we continue to pick up results like we have been doing lately, surely we'll have something to play for in May. 

But automatic promotion is definitely up for grabs and we've put ourselves very much in the frame. Hopefully the fact that we have so many seasoned professionals in the squad will put us in a good position to hold our nerve and keep our heads in the coming months.

Here's to another win on Monday and one step closer!

4 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Just watched the goals on 5. 

Great goals by Winnall 

slightly concerned about theirs. We had 8 men to their 4 in the box but 3 of ours at the front post covering no one??

Was a great corner though.

Sometimes there's not much you can do, bit like Wolves winner today.

Just got in despite making it home from Ipswich in record time but we popped into the local for a quick one over three hours ago! 

Not very good at ranting but that was such a great performance in the first 60 minutes that I am absolutely on the Rowett bandwagon tonight. 

Every good boy deserves fruit and Rowett seems to be working his magic with the whole squad - five changes and we are still rolling the jackpot - if anything we looked even better than we usually do away from home. Thorne was excellent for those 60 and the last few minutes when he was pushed forward.

@BurtonRam7, missed you today as I somehow managed to find myself in the middle of the singing section! :blink: Tell your parents you absolutely have to go to Birmingham to watch your team make history! 

33 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Just watched the goals on 5. 

Great goals by Winnall 

slightly concerned about theirs. We had 8 men to their 4 in the box but 3 of ours at the front post covering no one??

Yes I agree , but it's a first goal we have conceded in 5 games, so I will let us off for that, also 7 points from our last 3 games is a excellent return, I will whisper it, but we are going up my mate .

Was at the game.

Ipswich were poor and as Rowett said we should've been out of sight by half time, most notably with Vydra's chance when he somehow found himself one v one.

Says a lot about the quality in the squad though how we can make five changes and still win away at a top half team. 

Winnall deserves a start on Monday but wouldn't mind if he goes with Nugent as him and Vyds are lethal at home.

Great way to end the year in the autos, COYR.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Loved Pail McGrath.. He had a bit of an excuse though didn’t he.. Martin? Hmmmm.

There again, you say ‘slate’.. I hardly think it was a slate, just a comment. FFS. I am fully capable of slating something if needed.

Archived