Pets

Bob Gnarly

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

You may have a point with a gerbil but what would your reaction be if someone phoned in because their dog died ? You see, I believe someone’s bond with their dog is far stronger than someone could have with a gerbil but I stand to be corrected on that never having owned one. I mean, we’ve got a cat as well but I see my dogs as givers and the cat as a taker, God know where a gerbil would would fit in. ?

Its difficult.

I sort of feel its a no. Having family is something we are born into, having a partner or children is nature really. Having pets we choose.

It might sound harsh, if someone said can i take a day holiday or unpaid i would probably be ok for a dog. 

But if i was an employer to pay someone to have a day off for a pet dying would probably open me up for people taking the piss.

Im not a heartless person far from it. I feel upset if i see a cat at the side of a road dead because i know someone will be upset. Just think as adults we choose pets and choose grief because it will happen.

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its difficult.

I sort of feel its a no. Having family is something we are born into, having a partner or children is nature really. Having pets we choose.

It might sound harsh, if someone said can i take a day holiday or unpaid i would probably be ok for a dog. 

But if i was an employer to pay someone to have a day off for a pet dying would probably open me up for people taking the piss.

Im not a heartless person far from it. I feel upset if i see a cat at the side of a road dead because i know someone will be upset. Just think as adults we choose pets and choose grief because it will happen.

You’re quite correct it is difficult. 

Personally, if I were an employer I’d weigh up personal circumstances like attendance, are they a lead swinger ? you know, the type that takes a day off if they sneeze, are they childless and the pet is their main focus, would they be better off at home because they may have a detrimental effect on other staff/produce substandard work due to their mental state ?

I must admit, it was only listening to a phone in on BBC 3 Counties Radio this morning on this very subject that gave me food for thought and prompted the kind of examples mentioned above.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

You’re quite correct it is difficult. 

Personally, if I were an employer I’d weigh up personal circumstances like attendance, are they a lead swinger ? you know, the type that takes a day off if they sneeze, are they childless and the pet is their main focus, would they be better off at home because they may have a detrimental effect on other staff/produce substandard work due to their mental state ?

I must admit, it was only listening to a phone in on BBC 3 Counties Radio this morning on this very subject that gave me food for thought and prompted the kind of examples mentioned above.

I agree, but you can't do that anymore. If you do employee b claims you are being unfair because employee a got time off and they didn't. 

On 30/08/2018 at 20:05, Paul71 said:

I know what you mean. Been there myself,  but i do think generally our recovery when a pet dies is much different to when a family member dies.

If someone who worked for me rang in and said they wont be in because their gerbil has died i would be pretty unhappy.

Employees should be able to take a days annual leave at short notice for whatever reason. Rolls Royce workers call it a "duvet day"  where you could take a couple of your annual holidays at short notice but it was basically for an emergency that needed sorting out like the boiler packing up, car breakdown etc.

There would always be someone who abused it but generally it can cut unauthorised absence and be seen as a benefit by the employee.

If someone decide to take one for a pet dying then so be it. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Employees should be able to take a days annual leave at short notice for whatever reason. Rolls Royce workers call it a "duvet day"  where you could take a couple of your annual holidays at short notice but it was basically for an emergency that needed sorting out like the boiler packing up, car breakdown etc.

There would always be someone who abused it but generally it can cut unauthorised absence and be seen as a benefit by the employee.

If someone decide to take one for a pet dying then so be it. 

A days annual leave is a bit different. I guess I was more thinking that the article suggested we should be able to take compassionate leave when a pet dies, i.e not holiday but still paid.

I’m lucky in that my dog is still alive, but the day he’s not will hit me hard. Very hard.

As I work from home I’m with him everyday, literally is my shadow, can’t go to toilet without him making sure I made it there safely. 

Death is a certainty for us all, and one that pet owners are aware of but probably not on our minds when we bring them home.

Can’t speak for anyone else but it never crossed my mind that one day I will have to say goodbye. Same way as I try not to think about the day my heart stops ticking. Back of the mind and lock those thoughts away.

My case is a little different as I say being with him all day, but that’s not to say I’m more attached than those who work 9-5, I don’t have the dog being the first one to welcome me home excited as ever every night whilst the missus grunts a hello.

Maybe a gerbil and goldfish is pushing it but I would certainly allow pet owners to take a couple of days off work when their pet dies be it cat, dog or even horse.

We all deal with things differently, some feel more attached to animals than humans which might sound odd, but when you have had the unconditional love from a dog and no arguments over who’s turn it is to hoover it’s understandable.

I echo this completely. I've had my dog for over 10 years.

Initially she was there as a family pet, two young kids who we wanted to be ok with animals.

Then she was psychotherapy, difficulties at work. 

She then graduated to running partner as I began running after a considerable absence.

Now I mainly work from home she curls up by my feet and watches over me, listening while I draft the odd email and alerting me to the arrival of the post.

This week we're in Prague (good suggestions) and she's providing petting therapy as the old man is in remission from lymphoma and is loving her company.

The problem is that with dogs you invest so much action into them, (and implicit emotions too) and them into you, that when they go it isn't just absence they leave but a huge emotional void. 

On reflection i think its a great idea. I just ordered a tank full of neon tetras, should keep me off work for ages, im  sure one of the little buggers will be popping off every week

Seriously though, its how the article was presented. If someone that worked for me that needed to take a couple of days annual leave because their dog had died then of course you arent going to argue. It did lose credibility for me when it talked of Goldfish.

I just cant see its right to expect paid compassionate leave in the event of a pet dying, maybe im harsh but i just think it would get abused.  Maybe its because out of the people I have managed in my career I have had a few that I know would abuse it, probably the same ones that work part time but always seem to have medical appointments on the days they are supposed to be working, anyway thats a different subject I guess.

I think ideally it would be nice to be able to let those you trusted take the time off, paid even, so if 'Tom' who you know works damn hard, always reliable etc needed to then fine, but if its 'Steve' who always insists on his ciggy breaks aswell as his lunch, comes in late (not his fault, traffic you know), seems to have sudden illnesses on a Monday that clear up after a day, rang up and said I wont be in today cause his pets died, then im feeling less charitable. The problem is if i let Tom have the time off but not steve then these days im discriminating.

Better rename this thread Dead Pets. 

Concur (with dog?) though, losing them is the same grieving process as losing a person. They can also be a lightning rod for other, bottled up emotions. 

Animals are innocent, and their love is pure. I don't know how anyone can be indifferent to them. 

37 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Better rename this thread Dead Pets. 

Concur (with dog?) though, losing them is the same grieving process as losing a person. They can also be a lightning rod for other, bottled up emotions. 

Animals are innocent, and their love is pure. I don't know how anyone can be indifferent to them. 

Oh I agree.

People can be though...just read this.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/rabbits-dumped-burton-like-litter-1955325

Heartbreaking.

Fish for me. What's not to like?
They won't piss on your carpet and leave poo pellets everywhere, bring you a lawsuit when they bite the postman or bring live mice into the house - and when they die, they make a tasty sandwich.

12 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I won't, if it's something horrible. Mistreatment of animals really upsets me. 

It looks like it will get a happy ending.

Destroyed me when my last dog passed away. That was 2001. Buried him myself in his favourite spot, which was one of the hardest things I've ever done, even though that sounds stupid. Hit me much harder than the death of parents. Said then, never again, and I've not had one since. But when I retire, I will hopefully have another one or two. Maybe that way, they'll outlive me. 

5 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Destroyed me when my last dog passed away. That was 2001. Buried him myself in his favourite spot, which was one of the hardest things I've ever done, even though that sounds stupid. Hit me much harder than the death of parents. Said then, never again, and I've not had one since. But when I retire, I will hopefully have another one or two. Maybe that way, they'll outlive me. 

Another story that made me happy and sad at the same time.

I buried the lads rabbit in the garden once,did a bit of a service for him(Stewy!).

But I forgot and the year after I dug him up and I got in a right mess because my youngest spotted me out of his bedroom window ?

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

He's a cute dog, but his sad eyes give away how much he misses the politics thread.

Its not politics he misses, its all the sex chat.