Mr Brightside

Fraser_23

Apologies if there is already a topic on this!! I love the idea of mr brightside before kick off, but please can somebody sort that drop out. It’s not the best, but I believe that if that’s sorted then the song would be perfect before the game. COYR

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a guest at the Royal Variety show last week and The Killers played Mr Brightside, much to my delight and William and Katherine seemed pleased too. Sadly the aerial on Brandon's microphone kept falling out so the lyrics only came through intermittently. Brandon wanted to do it again, which was fine by me, but as we'd had the terror false alarm thing in Oxford Circus we didn't finish the show till nearly 1am so the high ups refused as it would have meant another half hour. I tried to smooth it over but Mr Flowers really wasn't happy. 

Just saying. One of my all time favourite songs so I'm thrilled we've adopted it. It started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this?  It was only a kiss... 

It is played too loud, but I think its quite good.  It worked really well against Forest when it was new and people sang along quite spontaneously.  I think in the less atmospheric matches since, it seems a bit forced and nobody is really 'up for it' - thus it might come across as a bit much.  Its the same with the flames.  Not sure they really fit in with a cold Tuesday night against Ipswich.  

I don't think any of it is really 'embarrassing' per se, just not something that everybody appreciates or thinks is necessary.  Its such a short period of the whole 'matchday' experience afterall.  

Why don’t they record the crowd singing their favourites (when I was young etc), then play it over the tannoy so everyone else can join in?

That should create enough noise to intimidate the opposition.

I’m sure our opponents enjoy the Killers as much as we do. We don’t want them being upbeat when they come onto the pitch!

59 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

The music is totally unrecognisable in West Stand just too loud! I see Burton fans commented on it on their site as well.

Maybe its an age thing- now a nice bit of Glen Miller- that'd be good!

In the Mood!

that would be great.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m sure our opponents enjoy the Killers as much as we do. We don’t want them being upbeat when they come onto the pitch!

Upbeat? It's depressing, upsetting song about intense feelings of paranoia!

It's not a bad song but there's bugger all about it that actually makes it suitable for use at a sporting event.  

It just doesn't fit at all, same as when there was a BBC Three documentary about a call centre where the manager said he keeps his staff motivated by playing 'happy music' and used it as an example - it's not a happy song! If I was working in a call centre and Mr Brightside came in I'd be looking for the nearest window 

I'm coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine
Gotta, gotta be down because I want it all
It started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this?
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep and she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke and she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed and my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head, but she's touching his

Chest now, he takes off her dress now
Let me go
I just can't look, it's killing me
And taking control

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay, destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes, 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Here we go - what in these lyrics gives a feeling we're all in this together and are going to go out and batter the opposition?

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine
Gotta, gotta be down because I want it all
It started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this?
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep and she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke and she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed and my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head, but she's touching his

Chest now, he takes off her dress now
Let me go
I just can't look, it's killing me
And taking control

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay, destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes, 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Here we go - what in these lyrics gives a feeling we're all in this together and are going to go out and batter the opposition?

It's mine and Mrs Sagan's special song. We've seen The Killers loads, especially when they were just starting out, playing around Camden Town. Even though the lyrics could be said to be on the dark side, the brilliance of the song is you can't help being uplifted by it (and thinking we're going to pummel the visitors to Pride Park!).

Archived