Derby County v Ipswich Town

B4ev6is

Wouldn't anyone else like to see vydra upfront with Lawrence or weimann behind him and then a new winger and a central midfielder with legs next to ledley I think would be dangerous as huddlestone and ledley together just don't have the legs together which I think most time makes us so predicable and slow just an idea

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Barney1991 said:

Wouldn't anyone else like to see vydra upfront with Lawrence or weimann behind him and then a new winger and a central midfielder with legs next to ledley I think would be dangerous as huddlestone and ledley together just don't have the legs together which I think most time makes us so predicable and slow just an idea

No. Just you.

I thought we had three decent shouts for a peno. I didn't get the best view of Lawrence's but it certainly wasn't a dive. There were two near the end that looked like penos to me too. Mind you Ipswich might have had a shout for a peno too. 

Controversially, I'm going to say that I thought our performance today was better and more encouraging than some games earlier this season where we've taken all the points.

Variance and luck is strong in football, and much like wembley 13/14, i believe if we played this game with the same players/formations every week for a year we'd win the vast majority of them. 

1 minute ago, wixman1884 said:

Controversially, I'm going to say that I thought our performance today was better and more encouraging than some games earlier this season where we've taken all the points.

Variance and luck is strong in football, and much like wembley 13/14, i believe if we played this game with the same players/formations every week for a year we'd win the vast majority of them. 

I would agree that we played better than the QPR game which we won. 

We simply aren't set up to break teams down. If they sit back we are stuffed. It looked better with Martin on. 

Not having the option to put a more attacking CM on in games is hurting us.

Lawrence and Weimann aren't footballers in the sense that they don't link up play and recycle possession well enough. I don't think we can play both.

I can see Wisdom Russell and Martin starting on Saturday and maybe Thorne.

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I thought we had three decent shouts for a peno. I didn't get the best view of Lawrence's but it certainly wasn't a dive. There were two near the end that looked like penos to me too. Mind you Ipswich might have had a shout for a peno too. 

Can't comment on our  penalty shouts, but their shout was a great tackle. Took the ball quite cleanly with the player falling over the leg being incidental to the tackle.

56 minutes ago, Ninos said:

True. He offers no goals (missed a moderately difficult chance) gives the ball away no end barks at Thorne on excellent through ball but made a terrible run and wasn’t looking and then contributed a few flicks and back passes ... he also applies zero pressure. Some on here love both him and Mcclaren and will find any crumb of quality to make a case for him ... 

lawrence and Fozzy were immensely worse this evening but you’re right he offered little ... and the proof is in the pudding - scored zero set up zero.

Bring Thorne on at the half and it’s game on - and Johnny should play ahead of Weimann who grafts but just doesn’t have any mojo.

Are you talking about Nugent or Martin?

9 minutes ago, sage said:

I would agree that we played better than the QPR game which we won. 

We simply aren't set up to break teams down. If they sit back we are stuffed. It looked better with Martin on. 

Not having the option to put a more attacking CM on in games is hurting us.

Lawrence and Weimann aren't footballers in the sense that they don't link up play and recycle possession well enough. I don't think we can play both.

I can see Wisdom Russell and Martin starting on Saturday and maybe Thorne.

Mostly agree with you Sage but tonight we created loads of chances, we just couldn't score!

I would have liked Wisdom on tonight (and Olssen but only retrospectively), not that Baird has underperformed but Wisdom would have given us more going forward when we weren't being challenged defensively.

I can't get round the - not changing a winning side mentality. One size does not fit all in the championship!

we can't exploit different teams weaknesses or strengthen against threats with the same team just because they won the week before .

square pegs round holes

You could almost apologize for another victory at your venue and I've taken in conflicting reports on what occurred.       Home fans insist on something of a robbery and familiar territory, our own support adamant we were value for the three points and one of the better performances in traveling games.

You can argue all this from here to the next but fact of the matter is, we got another victory there regardless of how it materialized.

Let's face it, any team that can score three at Middlesbrough without reply has to have something going for it and truth be told, you're better prepared than ourselves for a promotion race and may well be up there again by end of season.      However this league is totally unpredictable and always expect the unexpected, nothing has been settled as yet and will remain so until right near the end.

If it's any consolation we will endeavor to obtain further points from Nottingham Forest in our next round of games.    Lo and behold if that comes to pass, we'll once again be seen in a more favorable light.      Hope you can maintain a promotion push despite of today's setback.

1 hour ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

You could almost apologize for another victory at your venue and I've taken in conflicting reports on what occurred.       Home fans insist on something of a robbery and familiar territory, our own support adamant we were value for the three points and one of the better performances in traveling games.

You can argue all this from here to the next but fact of the matter is, we got another victory there regardless of how it materialized.

Let's face it, any team that can score three at Middlesbrough without reply has to have something going for it and truth be told, you're better prepared than ourselves for a promotion race and may well be up there again by end of season.      However this league is totally unpredictable and always expect the unexpected, nothing has been settled as yet and will remain so until right near the end.

If it's any consolation we will endeavor to obtain further points from Nottingham Forest in our next round of games.    Lo and behold if that comes to pass, we'll once again be seen in a more favorable light.      Hope you can maintain a promotion push despite of today's setback.

I genuinely feel sorry for you, and other Ipswich fans. I remember the Burley and Joe Royle days, you played some fabulous stuff.

Nowadays Ipswich are awful to watch, so boring, but unfortunately for you McCarthy finds a way to get results it would make sacking him seem harsh.

Isn’t it something like 17 straight years in the Championship for you? McCarthy could stay there until the day he dies and you will still be plodding along, playing an unfavorable style of football and being rooted to midtable with the odd hope of a playoff push.

Another poor first 45 minutes.

I don't blame the front 4, the 2 DMs play so deep the opposition can easily swamp our forwards and snuff out their threat. Rarely did we play the ball out from defence without resorting to the long ball. The second half saw Ledley and Huddlestone more involved in the Ipswich half and we had far more chances.

Vydra put in a great shift despite his scoring boots being elsewhere

Disappointing result but not unexpected against Ipswich as like Reading we always seem to be not good enough at home against them.

carson - fine

baird - fine defensively but we need a bit more going forward

keogh - some good runs

davies - fine 

Forsyth - our only full back trying to get forward but not great with his delivery 

huddlestone - ok but I am not sure what we gained by him replacing Davies 

ledley - ok 

wieman - I thought he did well but never looks like scoring

lawrence - I thought he was fairly poor with his delivery getting nowhere near and his shooting from free kicks has basically been a waste

nugent - not really in the game

vydra - very lively 

subs

martin - gave us a focal point in those type of games and linked well with Vydra 

Russell- made a great opportunity late on which someone missed 

Thorne - not there long enough to make a full comment

7 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I can't get round the - not changing a winning side mentality. One size does not fit all in the championship!

No, maybe not. It but I think for team morale you need to know if you play well you won’t unncescesarily lose the shirt. With a squad this big, you could be rested for a game for your benefit, your replacement plays a ablinder then you find yourself on the sidelines waiting for another chance

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not a bottle issue tonight valley, just one of them infuriating games where it wouldn't go in. We created more and better chances then we did at Boro on saturday. Its football, another day we would have had 4 or 5.

For obvious reasons I want derby and Cardiff to go up but I can see one team who don’t have as good a players staying the distance the other will flatter to deceive , I just don’t get it 

7 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Must be something about playing Ipswich, I mean if we can't get a peno when their player gets nowhere near the ball and leaves George with his leg half hanging off then we have no chance.

If we could just add a reasonable first half to our second halves we would be flying, it needs addressing fast.

Second half tonight was great, really enjoyable just couldn't get that goal. Martin made a huge difference, yes a few pinged off him but his hold up play and passing wirh lawrence and vydra was exciting. Him and Thorne to start on Saturday please.

Russell was infuriating again for me, he had the one good run, but on the other hand, was stood in his own half during a counterattack at the end. 

It will be more of the same on Saturday so we need an improvement on that first half.

8 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

We’ve been on a good run results wise. Tonight wasn’t our night. I’m not going to be too down about it because we are well above where I thought we’d be. The football could improve and maybe it will, but to be where we are is pleasing all considered. 

Still want Huddlestone dropped though.

Huddlestone appears to be both undroppable and never substituted.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Disappointing result but not unexpected against Ipswich as like Reading we always seem to be not good enough at home against them.

carson - fine

baird - fine defensively but we need a bit more going forward

keogh - some good runs

davies - fine 

Forsyth - our only full back trying to get forward but not great with his delivery 

huddlestone - ok but I am not sure what we gained by him replacing Davies 

ledley - ok 

wieman - I thought he did well but never looks like scoring

lawrence - I thought he was fairly poor with his delivery getting nowhere near and his shooting from free kicks has basically been a waste

nugent - not really in the game

vydra - very lively 

subs

martin - gave us a focal point in those type of games and linked well with Vydra 

Russell- made a great opportunity late on which someone missed 

Thorne - not there long enough to make a full comment

On the whole I'd agree. Disappointing but almost to be expected. However, I thought Forsyth had a shocking game both defensively and going forward. Also think it's time Rowett proves that no one is safe from being dropped and it's time to "rest" Huddlestone. He said there would be changes for Saturday, these would be mine. 

Archived