Derby County v Ipswich Town

B4ev6is

for a frustrating loss - it could have been much worse - plenty of chances, just no luck - let’s hope it turns around again.

On the positive side a few nice touches from all 3 subs and George is slowly convincing me on his fitness now.

Would have had an extra attacking player on the bench but easy to grumble in hindsight. They better beat Burton though !! 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish gary would be a bit braver and throw an extra striker on sometimes.

ipswich had 6 at the back at times and as when we come up against 3 at the back, the player leading the line could do with more support. Unfortunately we haven't got a bryson to bring on to allow vydra to push up, but martin+ nugent with vydra in the hole might just force a breakthrough.  

Sometimes the extra defensive player just isn't necessary.

p.s. I thought Carson had learnt his lesson about coming up for corners. Nothing looks as desperate as a keeper abandoning his goal Lee Camp style.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. So is rub of the green and luck of the bounce.

winner of the irritating weasel of the match = Waghorn. 

Keogh, Ledley and Vydra should not have been on the losing side.

Fozzy had a mare, Martin didn't make any difference 

can't comment on the penalty decisions, too far away to be objective

Ipswich got lucky, we didn't play badly but were nothing like hungry enough for a home side (20 minutes in the second half apart.)

just not our night. Going off to sulk in a corner now. Roll on Saturday and maybe some tweaks to the starting line up. 

Will always praise Rowett when he gets it right, Saturday he got it right. Tonight he got it wrong.

ive tried to stay out of the results vs performance debate, I think it’s a little too simplistic...but tonight and against Reading kinda proves to me that while it is a result based business it doesn’t mean you don’t address the problems. The questions shouldn’t really be about ‘performance’ but that our game management is truly woeful at home. We don’t control the tempo, we don’t play in the opposition half (and we don’t ‘control the referee’ but you didn’t hear it from me). Winning is great, but I can’t see us kicking on until we win whilst dominating football matches at home. Also fully understand that it’s difficuky when a team goes 1-0 up so early and then sits back, but maybe that’s the difference if a good side and a top side?

Played worse than that and won.

Need to start turning up for more than 45 minutes. 

Carson - Looked to have pulled off another wonder save but not be. Wish he would mix it up a bit and send a few more long. His dilly dallying is often the start of slow ponderous moves.

Baird - Defended well. Wasted a few good positions first half by hitting crosses straight against the first man.

Davies - Few dodgy moments. Doesn't look comfortable bringing the ball out. Missed a very decent chance first half.

Keogh - Probably our best player tonight. Defended well, looked to get moves started.

Forsyth - Awful. Shadow of his former self. Neither defends or attacks well. 

Huddlestone - Does what he does. Launches long balls. Not many accurate ones tonight. 

Ledley - Won his battles and kept it simple. Don't think his chance was as easy as it looked.

Weimann - Looked lovely,  created a few chances. Still looks unsure what to do given the ball to feet. Basically just needs balls to run on to.

Lawrence - Awful. Wasted set pieces. Gave up every time he gave the ball away. Not sure why GR kept him on ahead of Weimann. 

Vydra - Just wouldn't happen for him tonight. Needs to work on his first touch.

Nugent - Didn't really do anything.

Martin - Some nice interchanges around the edge of the area. Was right sort of game for him. Don't think he showed enough to earn himself a starting place.

Russell - Carved out one decent chance and looked to attack their full back. Would have him back in the team on Saturday.

Thorne - Brought on too late in the day. Half time to 60 minutes game was crying out for him. 80 minutes by which time we have started launching balls was too late.

Rowett - Not our first manager to get done by Big Mick. Kept faith with a winning team, which I agree with, too late with second and third subs for me. 

Seen a few moans about the ref. Not sure on either penalty claim. Lawrence didn't seem to make much of a fuss. If not a penalty for a challenge on Thorne why not a booking? Very annoying inconsistency. Not seen anyone mention the handball in first half when Vydra would have been clean through, looked a bad decision to me. Anyway just one of them nights.

On to Saturday.

Can see more of the same if we don't get out of the blocks quicker.

8 minutes ago, jono said:

Ipswich got lucky, we didn't play badly but were nothing like hungry enough for a home side (20 minutes in the second half apart.)

just not our night. Going off to sulk in a corner now. Roll on Saturday and maybe some tweaks to the starting line up. 

In fairness to both, Forsyth struggles when Lawrence is off form. Like tonight he appears very exposed. Don’t get me wrong, some awful individual errors, but I think he might look better when Johnson’s infront of him ie someone more solid/supporting Also Martin was frustrating, even as a fan, but it was his quick passing around the box that gave us any hope of unlocking them.

10 minutes ago, jono said:

Having watched the penalties back, Lawrence dived and was correct, but Thorne's was a clear penalty in my eyes. Just not our night. 

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

In fairness to both, Forsyth struggles when Lawrence is off form. Like tonight he appears very exposed. Don’t get me wrong, some awful individual errors, but I think he might look better when Johnson’s infront of him ie someone more solid/supporting Also Martin was frustrating, even as a fan, but it was his quick passing around the box that gave us any hope of unlocking them.

Spot on with this. Although he can be frustrating his flicks alone allowed us to actually play though the middle is pretty much the sole reason we actually looked decent in the second half.

I think he has to start against Burton. If last years game is anything to go by, Burton are going to park the tank and I'll be amazed if they have a shot. We'll be in for a terrible game if we try the 'Nugent/Vydra long balls in behind' tactic on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, valleyram said:

6 years I’ve seen this with derby 

get in great position in table

bottle Gos 

Not a bottle issue tonight valley, just one of them infuriating games where it wouldn't go in. We created more and better chances then we did at Boro on saturday. Its football, another day we would have had 4 or 5.

1 minute ago, swiftur said:

you are joking? 

I honestly can't see how you can debate he didn't. We were a completely different side in the second half and he was a large part of that. Would you have rather we kept hoofing it to Nugent who was getting dominated by Chambers and Webster parked a yard infront of their box?

Archived