Derby County v Ipswich Town

B4ev6is

Just a thought why are we set up at home as we are away with 2 holding mids ? I get why away as we can break teams down and catch them on the counter but surely at home a change of formation/personnel is needed so we get on the front foot early and get at teams rather than sitting back and waiting for something to eventually happen. Irrespective of  the goal that first half was another borefest.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Just a thought why are we set up at home as we are away with 2 holding mids ? I get why away as we can break teams down and catch them on the counter but surely at home a change of formation/personnel is needed so we get on the front foot early and get at teams rather than sitting back and waiting for something to eventually happen. Irrespective of  the goal that first half was another borefest.

Who would you bring in for Ledley or Huddlestone? 

Lack of personnel is probably dictating more than anything. 

Well people say luck balances out in the end, it certainly f****** did there! Cannot believe we lost that, incredible really. Particularly in the second half we carved open so many openings, just wasn’t our night.

That being said, I have to say Forsyth was appalling tonight, he’s so uncomfortable on the ball it’s like playing with ten men in possession. Giving that corner away unnessercerily was infuriating, the last thing you want to do against Ipswich is give them an early set piece- plays right into their hands, allows them to nick a goal then sit back and kick the s*** out of us and time waste. Fuckwit. 

But anyway, everyone else really wasn’t particularly bad, you ain’t gonna win them all. We just have to pick ourselves up and move on, games like that won’t happen too often. Special mentions to vydra and weimann who were brilliant in one touch passing, Martin made a difference coming on as well at times. Huddlestone as well I feel deserves recognition, some beautiful passes out there tonight.

Still maintain we should have changed the lineup a bit after so many games, Nugent and ledley were f******. Overall tho really it was one mistake that cost us, we’re not done yet.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Who would you bring in for Ledley or Huddlestone? 

Lack of personnel is probably dictating more than anything. 

I'd have gone 4132 with nugent, and martin up front, vydra in the hole, probably at half time.

11 minutes ago, swiftur said:

What did we do any better when he came on ,we still couldn't score.

True. He offers no goals (missed a moderately difficult chance) gives the ball away no end barks at Thorne on excellent through ball but made a terrible run and wasn’t looking and then contributed a few flicks and back passes ... he also applies zero pressure. Some on here love both him and Mcclaren and will find any crumb of quality to make a case for him ... 

lawrence and Fozzy were immensely worse this evening but you’re right he offered little ... and the proof is in the pudding - scored zero set up zero.

Bring Thorne on at the half and it’s game on - and Johnny should play ahead of Weimann who grafts but just doesn’t have any mojo.

TobyWanKenobi

SHame about the result, but it's been a good run up till now. An excuse to make a few changes I think.

We looked far stronger to me with Martin and Thorne in the side to me. I think it might be time to start them.

11 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Agree :thumbsup: with this as a more attack minded midfielder at home might be worth a try....I don't think we need 2 holding players at home.

I don't think Weimann should've been brought off to be honest as his link up play with Vydra was very good tonight and we so need another midfielder with pace in home games to enable one of Ledley or Hudds to be rested in home games, nice to see Thorne getting back to fitness but I do think Jan window could be very important for us to enable us to kick on...cannot deny the effort was there second half just didn't get the breaks...need to win saturday though......

ps .I really could not sit and watch a mick mcarthy team week in week out!!

disappointing result tonight, but some of you booing and moaning all night in the east stand, give it a bloody rest, and some fool shouting get him off all game, to every player, we only have 3 subs, find modern football fans a strange breed, lose 2 matches in 12 games and they are booing and shouting all sorts of rubbish, please back the team when they need it, tonight we had enough chances to win, but did not take them, that's football, especially in the championship, I feel with Gary in charge we will be there or there abouts come the end of the season, we need a few more players in and out in the next couple of transfer windows, and a few fans to stay away, if they can not support us in the GOOD and BAD times.

As usual by the time I get home just about everything has been covered.

Its just unforgivable to concede against a team like Ipswich early doors from a corner, not focused and sloppy.

First half felt at times like 1st 45 against QPR

Positives - Sublime flick from Vydra first half to put weiman through and 4 or 5 good chances 2nd half, can't believe at least one never resulted in a goal, especially his well worked shot that hit the post. Reality check really, we're not standing out but still in that mix of teams that gonna be in and around that top 6

Just one of those nights tonight... For all the talk of vydra being so clinical he had 5 or 6 good chances tonight but it just wasn't to be... Hit the post , flashing shots just wide  etc. on another day we would have scored three or four . Would gladly have traded one of vydras three goals against boro for just one tonight but like I say it just wasn't our night. 

The first half was very poor. There weren't really any quality chances created. Second half was much better and several quality chances were made that on another day would have gone in.

Martin definitely had a big part in the creation of these chances and there were promising signs of a partnership forming between him and Vydra. They definitely deserve more game time together in the coming weeks.

Archived