Rising tide of performance?

Rev

42 minutes ago, DRBee said:

There is another option - for Rowett to learn and change!

Your stance, where it is only the result that matters is for idiots. You may as well go to the match with a paper bag over  your head and wait for the result. It's not about getting promotion this season its about producing football that is entertaining. 15 minutes of good stuff per match won't do.

Learn from whom your good self. 

Do you have the credentials. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The boring football we are playing right now has not just happened since Rowett came in. We have not played attractive football consistently since McClaren left the first time. The football now is no worst than last season! 

Why? Horrendous transfer dealings in Clement season, buying in slow players, no energy. Pearson mismanagement of Martin in loaning him out, selling Hendrick and not replacing him, decline of Bryson due to injury and age being less effective - also overlooked at times for our £10m bargain duo of Johnson and Butterfield. Selling Hughes and Ince because they both wanted to leave! 

This has been a steady decline over a couple of years at least. And now Rowett has to sort it out while obviously working under budget restrictions. He will be judged by what he achieves but at the moment this still isn't his team, he's working with what he has at his disposal and doing the best he can. He knows where the problems are, he talks about it every week, he wants us to play better football but particularly away from home, he's had to be cautious because of some of the maulings we've had (continuing on from the away day thrashings we had under McC 2) 

This is a work in progress and if we're in touch with the playoffs come Jan - that would be a decent position to be in. But I'm pleased he seems to have addressed the soft underbelly that has cost us in recent years.

11 hours ago, Ellafella said:

They have 4 wins out of 17 games. They scored a late equalizer to Bolton. What they did last season is irrelevant. We are 10 places above them. Yet they were all over us and should have won comfortably. 

i really am going to have to stop watching the Rams with my eyes closed , all over us ? should have won comfortably ? absolutely priceless , and yes i was there yesterday ,

Players i think have improved since the start of the season. 

Forsyth, Davies, Keogh, Wisdom, Vydra, Nugent.

Of these, Davies and Wisdom were new additions of obvious quality, after a settling in period it's natural to start producing better performances.

Fozzy was starting from a low base, and I see steady enough improvement as he gets fitter.

Keogh has been helped by having such a solid full back alongside, but Rowett put that man alongside him, so credit due.

Nuge is Nuge, but regular football has helped him make an impact.

Vydra is benefiting from having a manager who believes in him, and regular starts have shown him to be a potent attacking force, not perfect by any means but showing signs of being a £7m player.

Players i think have declined.

Can't think of many, or at least their lack of appearances make it impossible to say, possibly Huddlestone.

Everyone else is performing in line with how I regarded their abililities anyway.

January will be interesting, I'd expect Rowett will be busy early doors, especially if he wants a midfielder runner, which he surely does.

I don't see how we'll realise any money back on Anya or Shackell even if there's interest, Bent too for that matter, so I wouldn't expect any additional money in the kitty, especially if we sign Ledley up.

We are doing ok I suppose in terms of points, but I can't help it that I find the football boring, it feels like we're playing with the handbrake on, but hopefully Gary feels the same and will take steps in January and next summer to address this.

14 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

That he brought in by having to sell players

Two players he clearly didn't want. If they'd been sold without his approval I might agree. His transfer window is an absolute luxury, let's not pretend he's feeding on scraps here. 

Cloughie junior was under budget restrictions, shopping for right backs around 400k from the lower leagues, not the 4.5 mill we've just splashed out on one. 

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

That if we had kept would have made us a better team this season...

Did they have the motivation for another championship slog with us? Were they the only players we could actually get money for? You can't just keep a player, there are so many factors at work and we have no clue about most of them. 

On 18 November 2017 at 22:09, Pearl Ram said:

For me, Rowett is not the manager for us. How many times have we seen a first half like today followed by a in today’s case, a slight improvement for a short period after the break. Should he fluke us into the play offs and we go up, the majority of teams up there would have put the game to bed before the break the way he had us playing today. 

But, but we scored after 24 seconds against Forest...yeah, I know but that kind of start is not the norm for us. We gave Fulham’s defence their easiest afternoon of their season so far, Christ Bolton were within a couple of minutes of beating them down there. Why ? Because they had a go at them. Us ? Nah, let’s be cautious and see if we can come away with a point. 

I’ve said before, Rowett will keep his job by default, I.e. Morris is keen to rid himself of his reputation of a trigger happy firer of managers, hence his stance changing from an owner who wanted to see a particular brand of football, throughout the club I may add,  making transitions from one squad to another seamless, to an owner happy to put up with any old s**** and the first team playing the opposite to the under 23’s.

We stank Craven Cottage out in that first half today, if Morris isn’t asking himself questions about our style of play tonight he’s not the man I thought he was, if he is happy with what he’s seeing God help us. 

Keep his job by default, what planet are you on, we will keep on improving results first, then the performances will come, how so many so called Derby fans want a manager sacked after 16 games and being 8th in the table is beyond me, we needed to be more solid as a team this year and we are, all good managers build from the back first, let's have this debate after the season, I think MR Rowett will do a good job given time by some fans and Mel, can see us getting promoted with Gary in charage next season, So God help me, will some of you negative merchants PLEASE get behind the team and the club.Once a RAM always a RAM, seen much worse in my 39  years of Watching Derby, so come on let's have a bit of positive energy for once, will probably here you on tomorrow nights moan in on  radio Derby, lol.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Wow, you'd really bet someone on the internet 100 whole pounds that we won't come out of nowhere and win the PL twice in the space of five years?

You're braver than me mate, fair play!

That wasn't the bet, sarky mod.

and i have met ilkleyram btw.

8 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The boring football we are playing right now has not just happened since Rowett came in. We have not played attractive football consistently since McClaren left the first time. The football now is no worst than last season! 

Why? Horrendous transfer dealings in Clement season, buying in slow players, no energy. Pearson mismanagement of Martin in loaning him out, selling Hendrick and not replacing him, decline of Bryson due to injury and age being less effective - also overlooked at times for our £10m bargain duo of Johnson and Butterfield. Selling Hughes and Ince because they both wanted to leave! 

This has been a steady decline over a couple of years at least. And now Rowett has to sort it out while obviously working under budget restrictions. He will be judged by what he achieves but at the moment this still isn't his team, he's working with what he has at his disposal and doing the best he can. He knows where the problems are, he talks about it every week, he wants us to play better football but particularly away from home, he's had to be cautious because of some of the maulings we've had (continuing on from the away day thrashings we had under McC 2) 

This is a work in progress and if we're in touch with the playoffs come Jan - that would be a decent position to be in. But I'm pleased he seems to have addressed the soft underbelly that has cost us in recent years.

That is a very good post 

12 hours ago, curtains said:

Learn from whom your good self. 

Do you have the credentials. 

Another stupid response from you. Rowett learns from what he sees on the pitch. Like after an excellent performance at Leeds, what does he do - he makes unnecessary changes  in the team for the next match and we have probably the worst performance of the season. Judging from what he said post-match on Saturday, he is in denial. he exaggerates the amount of time we were in control and seems to b lame Vydra for the dire first half performance. 

8 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Keep his job by default, what planet are you on, we will keep on improving results first, then the performances will come, how so many so called Derby fans want a manager sacked after 16 games and being 8th in the table is beyond me, we needed to be more solid as a team this year and we are, all good managers build from the back first, let's have this debate after the season, I think MR Rowett will do a good job given time by some fans and Mel, can see us getting promoted with Gary in charage next season, So God help me, will some of you negative merchants PLEASE get behind the team and the club.Once a RAM always a RAM, seen much worse in my 39  years of Watching Derby, so come on let's have a bit of positive energy for once, will probably here you on tomorrow nights moan in on  radio Derby, lol.

To be fair, I know what planet he is on but you seem to be able to read the future. Are you from Mars?

Who is actually calling for him to be sacked? I dont think Pearl has asked for that, plenty who are questioning what he is doing and that is fine. 

Just in case you missed it.... IT'S A FOOTBALL FORUM.. 

It's all relative.. We are 8th in a very average league. We are a very average team, playing very average football. We have an average manager and very average players. If we could see GR learning from bad performances, that would be a start. I am backing GR for the reasons you have mentioned in your post. And hopefully your ability to see into the future and uber happy clappy stance, proves right. BUT people have the right to question what is happening. I have met @Ellafella and he is 100% Derby and well connected. In fact apart from the Pearson appointment, I have never heard him moan about DCFC. Mr Positive in many ways. @Pearl Ram the same I suspect, although we have never met. Hard yards if you have been with us since the 60/70s. I get more concerned when supporters like this start to question. People at the club should start to listen as well. Attendances are dwindling and it's all about bums on seats and DCFCTV. Morris, as much as I think he is the problem, is no fool. No fans, no subscriptions, no product, no money.. It can only last for a little while. So Gary HAS to do something soon. I don't always agree with it but the days where a manager gets time are long gone.

Still, some can always stick their head in the sand and pretend everything is going to be alright. That's your choice.

22 hours ago, archied said:

Just a thought ,,, could it be the players not doing what they are sent out to do sometimes ? Perhaps they get out there and don't feel they can do what they are sent out to do or they feel the opposition don't let them do what they are sent out to do ,,, I only ask because surely by the same measure rowett sent them out to do what they did after half time? Are we saying rowett sends them out there with instruction after half time to attack ,get a goal then go back into our shell? 

Seems to me a lot of it may be rowett trying to stamp out the naivety that haunted us for many years ? Chasing games too much at the wrong times and getting thumped because of it ? 

Thank you.

I thought I was going insane there for a bit.

This exactly!

Not all Gary's fault. If you have a midfield 2 of Ledley and Huddlestone you're never going to get quick forward momentum. They're both naturally defensive players. Some more pace in there in January will make a huge difference in getting the team playing forward quicker. 

I don't think Gary will have drilled into the players some of the stuff that was going on on Saturday, I just think with the players we have it's their natural mindset. 

33 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Another stupid response from you. Rowett learns from what he sees on the pitch. Like after an excellent performance at Leeds, what does he do - he makes unnecessary changes  in the team for the next match and we have probably the worst performance of the season. Judging from what he said post-match on Saturday, he is in denial. he exaggerates the amount of time we were in control and seems to b lame Vydra for the dire first half performance. 

Rowett got the team selection wrong against Reading but come on he isn’t doing that bad. 

Look at the League table. 

23 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Not all Gary's fault. If you have a midfield 2 of Ledley and Huddlestone you're never going to get quick forward momentum. They're both naturally defensive players. Some more pace in there in January will make a huge difference in getting the team playing forward quicker. 

I don't think Gary will have drilled into the players some of the stuff that was going on on Saturday, I just think with the players we have it's their natural mindset. 

I still think letting bryson go was a mistake

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I still think letting bryson go was a mistake

All managers make mistakes and not saying it was . 

Ledley  -  Success

Davies -   Success

Winnall.     Too early to say 

Huddlestone   No idea on this one 

Wisdom   Success 

Lawrence   Too early to say but for me I think he’s brilliant.

Archived