Rising tide of performance?

Rev

I've heard and read Mel Morris talk about achieving promotion as a consequence of a rising tide of performance, rather than being a goal in its own right.

This justification was used when he dispensed of the services of Clement, despite us sitting handily in 5th position at the time.

I'll be honest, I see even less promise in our performances at the minute, yet a quick look at the league table shows we're not far off the pace at all.

Which leads me to two main questions.

1. Can Rowett improve performances between now and the end of the season?

We might be picking up points and ticking along, but without improvement in performances will our points per game be enough to see us hit the top 6 at seasons end?

Is there a massive improvement you feel he could make from the current squad, or does he need the January window to freshen things up, or indeed do you think he's doing a grand job and nothing needs to change?

2. If we don't improve performance wise, but keep on picking up points and remain in touch with the top 6, can/will Mel use the rising tide of performance angle to remove him, or will he settle for a Billy Davies type performance and hope we go up now, and deal with the consequences later?

Personally, I don't see the rising tide of performance, but I accept I may be of a minority, given our league position.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've heard and read Mel Morris talk about achieving promotion as a consequence of a rising tide of performance, rather than being a goal in its own right.

This justification was used when he dispensed of the services of Clement, despite us sitting handily in 5th position at the time.

I'll be honest, I see even less promise in our performances at the minute, yet a quick look at the league table shows we're not far off the pace at all.

We might be picking up points and ticking along, but without improvement in performances will our points per game be enough to see us hit the top 6 at seasons end?

Is there a massive improvement you feel he could make from the current squad, or does he need the January window to freshen things up, or indeed do you think he's doing a grand job and nothing needs to change?

2. If we don't improve performance wise, but keep on picking up points and remain in touch with the top 6, can/will Mel use the rising tide of performance angle to remove him, or will he settle for a Billy Davies type performance and hope we go up now, and deal with the consequences later?

Personally, I don't see the rising tide of performance, but I accept I may be of a minority, given our league position.

1.No.....no combination of talented players seems to make much of a difference...this is Gary's way,try hard,run around a lot.

2.Yes,Mel has changed his tune on performance/the derby way...he will accept a billy Davis scenario if it leads to promotion.

Makes a mockery of Clements sacking.

I'm with you on the performance,so that's at least two of us,probably the only two....

For me, Rowett is not the manager for us. How many times have we seen a first half like today followed by a in today’s case, a slight improvement for a short period after the break. Should he fluke us into the play offs and we go up, the majority of teams up there would have put the game to bed before the break the way he had us playing today. 

But, but we scored after 24 seconds against Forest...yeah, I know but that kind of start is not the norm for us. We gave Fulham’s defence their easiest afternoon of their season so far, Christ Bolton were within a couple of minutes of beating them down there. Why ? Because they had a go at them. Us ? Nah, let’s be cautious and see if we can come away with a point. 

I’ve said before, Rowett will keep his job by default, I.e. Morris is keen to rid himself of his reputation of a trigger happy firer of managers, hence his stance changing from an owner who wanted to see a particular brand of football, throughout the club I may add,  making transitions from one squad to another seamless, to an owner happy to put up with any old s**** and the first team playing the opposite to the under 23’s.

We stank Craven Cottage out in that first half today, if Morris isn’t asking himself questions about our style of play tonight he’s not the man I thought he was, if he is happy with what he’s seeing God help us. 

Pearl Ram i am with you.Who is telling the players to sit so deep ? Gary

We need to impose and unleash ours players at the other teams.When we do gamble a bit we look good!

How we are playing over 46 games will not get us UP and the crowds will DROP 

And Gary will be gone.And we will still be HERE

Well done to the 3500 who went  to watch 10/15 mins of how Derby can Play 

Score a good goal and then sit back again. Why Orders from Gary or the players are too old and slow to which he has bought.

Agreed we should not sacked Clement.

Same old s*** just a different day

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Can't see where the improvement would come from as the gameplan has been pretty similar from the day one.

The only option would be January's transfer window... IF we manage to get rid of Shackell, Anya, Bent etc then we might actually be able to bring someone in. IF we can do that, he would have to be really, really good footballer, not only trier.

So can't really see it happening.

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

For me, Rowett is not the manager for us. How many times have we seen a first half like today followed by a in today’s case, a slight improvement for a short period after the break. Should he fluke us into the play offs and we go up, the majority of teams up there would have put the game to bed before the break the way he had us playing today. 

But, but we scored after 24 seconds against Forest...yeah, I know but that kind of start is not the norm for us. We gave Fulham’s defence their easiest afternoon of their season so far, Christ Bolton were within a couple of minutes of beating them down there. Why ? Because they had a go at them. Us ? Nah, let’s be cautious and see if we can come away with a point. 

I’ve said before, Rowett will keep his job by default, I.e. Morris is keen to rid himself of his reputation of a trigger happy firer of managers, hence his stance changing from an owner who wanted to see a particular brand of football, throughout the club I may add,  making transitions from one squad to another seamless, to an owner happy to put up with any old s**** and the first team playing the opposite to the under 23’s.

We stank Craven Cottage out in that first half today, if Morris isn’t asking himself questions about our style of play tonight he’s not the man I thought he was, if he is happy with what he’s seeing God help us. 

Haha, who is the manager for you then, Alex Fergerson,  Brian Clough, Bob Paisley , for god sake, Derbys biggest problem is sacking manager after manager, Mr Rowett is deffo the manager to take us forward, back 4 looking good, never give up, work as a team, sounds like the things that all great managers instill to begin with, then the performances come later, come on we are 7th, and lost 1 in 9 , stop having your head in the clouds and realise what gets you out of the Championship, In Mr Rowett we have a really good chance of promotion in the next couple of seasons.

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I've got this feeling the best is yet to come. It can't get much worse. 

It's all planned we will go unbeaten from January until April. I saw it in some tea leaves when the bag split.

10 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm with you on the performance,so that's at least two of us,probably the only two....

That's what I see too. Great rearguard, with the offensive setup a rigid boring afterthought that is designed to work in 7 second bursts. Not hugely skilful exciting bursts either.

It is a Billy Davies team at the minute.

We have replaced a flair side with a soft underbelly with a tough core short on pace and momentum. I think that was probably part of Rowett’s remit.

We definitely need a midfield player with pace who demands the ball - a Bannan type who sets the tempo.

And before anyone says it, this needs to be someone better than Butterfield and Bryson.

The window will be make or break this season.

Perhaps your correct on this ,,, perhaps we would be far better to go there and look really good , take the lead then crumble and turn into bumbling wrecks trying desperately to hold on but losing to late goals that every one of us in the crowd knows  that sure as eggs is eggs are  going to be conceded , I also look back with fondness on some of the football we played briefly under mac1 with the bulk of clough s team but I don't use rose tinted specs and pretend it lasted longer than it did and thathere was not some real disappointing dire stuff in there too

7 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Haha, who is the manager for you then, Alex Fergerson,  Brian Clough, Bob Paisley , for god sake, Derbys biggest problem is sacking manager after manager, Mr Rowett is deffo the manager to take us forward, back 4 looking good, never give up, work as a team, sounds like the things that all great managers instill to begin with, then the performances come later, come on we are 7th, and lost 1 in 9 , stop having your head in the clouds and realise what gets you out of the Championship, In Mr Rowett we have a really good chance of promotion in the next couple of seasons.

If you or anybody else is pleased with how we are set up to play the likes of Fulham I’m genuinely pleased for you. We came away with a point so I understand people might wonder why I’m unhappy.

I’m unhappy because despite the back four looking good as you posted, I saw at least two crosses go across between the six yard line and our goal begging to be tapped in, fortunately Fulham’s lack of a decent centre forward prevented  us going behind. In my opinion Rowett sets us up all wrong, almost like he has little faith in his players. I f we were to play like yesterday against most Premier League teams, they would tonk us without breaking a sweat. We are ill prepared for life in the top tier by a long way.

I do wonder what he does on the training ground sometimes, there’s times we play like the players have just met up for the first time

You like Rowett, cool, I don’t, I don’t think he knows his best team and is all talk, you buy his rhetoric, I don’t, my head is not in the clouds I assure you. 

We are a million miles off a team capable of promotion this season, we don't have the players, we don't have the manager and  I actually don't think we have the desire.

We have become so boring to watch, boring, boring Derby.

I shall be keeping my cash firmly in my pocket next summer!

8 hours ago, Derby blood said:

I'm all for sticking with Rowett but the reasons that you stay we should stick with him are the very same reasons MM has used for getting rid of managers before.

You say out back 4 is looking good, but with a half decent striker and a correct penalty decision being made yesterday we would have shipped 4 or 5 goals for the second match running. 

Forsyth is having a torrid time and Sky even said he looks like he is getting back to his best!

13 minutes ago, toddy said:

We are a million miles off a team capable of promotion this season, we don't have the players, we don't have the manager and  I actually don't think we have the desire.

Bookmarked.

14 minutes ago, toddy said:

I’ll have your season tickets if you’re fed up.

11 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

That is so right. We "stank" Craven Cottage out with the miserable, skill-devoid, ersatz football that GR has trade-marked. I cannot remember in 40 years of watching Derby a time when I was so less-engaged in what the 11 white shirts are producing. Apart from of course the non-season under Jewell which I have wiped totally from the memory banks. We've sold our Mercedes fleet and replaced them with Fiat Bravos. 

Archived