Rising tide of performance?

Rev

52 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

If you or anybody else is pleased with how we are set up to play the likes of Fulham I’m genuinely pleased for you. We came away with a point so I understand people might wonder why I’m unhappy.

I’m unhappy because despite the back four looking good as you posted, I saw at least two crosses go across between the six yard line and our goal begging to be tapped in, fortunately Fulham’s lack of a decent centre forward prevented  us going behind. In my opinion Rowett sets us up all wrong, almost like he has little faith in his players. I f we were to play like yesterday against most Premier League teams, they would tonk us without breaking a sweat. We are ill prepared for life in the top tier by a long way.

I do wonder what he does on the training ground sometimes, there’s times we play like the players have just met up for the first time

You like Rowett, cool, I don’t, I don’t think he knows his best team and is all talk, you buy his rhetoric, I don’t, my head is not in the clouds I assure you. 

Pearl Ram...excellent stuff. My thoughts exactly. I've highlighted the bits I agree with vehemently. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

If you or anybody else is pleased with how we are set up to play the likes of Fulham I’m genuinely pleased for you. We came away with a point so I understand people might wonder why I’m unhappy.

I’m unhappy because despite the back four looking good as you posted, I saw at least two crosses go across between the six yard line and our goal begging to be tapped in, fortunately Fulham’s lack of a decent centre forward prevented  us going behind. In my opinion Rowett sets us up all wrong, almost like he has little faith in his players. I f we were to play like yesterday against most Premier League teams, they would tonk us without breaking a sweat. We are ill prepared for life in the top tier by a long way.

I do wonder what he does on the training ground sometimes, there’s times we play like the players have just met up for the first time

You like Rowett, cool, I don’t, I don’t think he knows his best team and is all talk, you buy his rhetoric, I don’t, my head is not in the clouds I assure you. 

That’s good wanting him sacked. 

Great let’s start again 

Who next ! 

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I've heard and read Mel Morris talk about achieving promotion as a consequence of a rising tide of performance, rather than being a goal in its own right.

This justification was used when he dispensed of the services of Clement, despite us sitting handily in 5th position at the time.

I'll be honest, I see even less promise in our performances at the minute, yet a quick look at the league table shows we're not far off the pace at all.

Which leads me to two main questions.

1. Can Rowett improve performances between now and the end of the season?

We might be picking up points and ticking along, but without improvement in performances will our points per game be enough to see us hit the top 6 at seasons end?

Is there a massive improvement you feel he could make from the current squad, or does he need the January window to freshen things up, or indeed do you think he's doing a grand job and nothing needs to change?

2. If we don't improve performance wise, but keep on picking up points and remain in touch with the top 6, can/will Mel use the rising tide of performance angle to remove him, or will he settle for a Billy Davies type performance and hope we go up now, and deal with the consequences later?

Personally, I don't see the rising tide of performance, but I accept I may be of a minority, given our league position.

Rising tide of performances.

Answers please 

Next Manager for Mel Morris ! 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

That’s good wanting him sacked. 

Great let’s start again 

Who next ! 

Relax mate, it’s only my take on things, I could be so wrong and look a right div. That doesn’t worry me though, I don’t like what I’m seeing, reading or hearing and reserve the right to post my thoughts on a DCFC forum. 

Rowett won’t get sacked anyway, Mel buys his bs so it’s happy days for you and all the others content with how things are going. 

1 minute ago, Pearl Ram said:

Relax mate, it’s only my take on things, I could be so wrong and look a right div. That doesn’t worry me though, I don’t like what I’m seeing, reading or hearing and reserve the right to post my thoughts on a DCFC forum. 

Rowett won’t get sacked anyway, Mel buys his bs so it’s happy days for you and all the others content with how things are going. 

I’m an avid Rams fan and I get just as upset as any when things don’t go well. 

It is frustrating watching the Rams at times and I’ve seen the best in the likes of Charlie George and Kevin Hector etc etc but Gary Rowett took on s difficult job and  he’s doing ok if not spectacularly well with the cards he’s been dealt by Mel Morris. 

Up the Rams. 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

I’m an avid Rams fan and I get just as upset as any when things don’t go well. 

It is frustrating watching the Rams at times and I’ve seen the best in the likes of Charlie George and Kevin Hector etc etc but Gary Rowett took on s difficult job and  he’s doing ok if not spectacularly well with the cards he’s been dealt by Mel Morris. 

Up the Rams. 

I went to my first game in 1969 curtains, was a teenager in the Popside during the great years so I’ve seen the legends too and while unforgettable, it’s a lifetime ago.

You say it’s frustrating watching us at times, I say yesterday’s first half was embarrassing, I was livid, I thought we were inept and it’s not  the only time he’s sent us out like that.

Some say it’s a work in progress others say it’s still early days, fine, I just think our league position flatters us and Rowett is an average manager who’s not so much kissed the Blarney Stone but given it a right good seeing to.

13 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I've heard and read Mel Morris talk about achieving promotion as a consequence of a rising tide of performance, rather than being a goal in its own right.

This justification was used when he dispensed of the services of Clement, despite us sitting handily in 5th position at the time.

I'll be honest, I see even less promise in our performances at the minute, yet a quick look at the league table shows we're not far off the pace at all.

Which leads me to two main questions.

1. Can Rowett improve performances between now and the end of the season?

We might be picking up points and ticking along, but without improvement in performances will our points per game be enough to see us hit the top 6 at seasons end?

Is there a massive improvement you feel he could make from the current squad, or does he need the January window to freshen things up, or indeed do you think he's doing a grand job and nothing needs to change?

2. If we don't improve performance wise, but keep on picking up points and remain in touch with the top 6, can/will Mel use the rising tide of performance angle to remove him, or will he settle for a Billy Davies type performance and hope we go up now, and deal with the consequences later?

Personally, I don't see the rising tide of performance, but I accept I may be of a minority, given our league position.

1.I see no evidence of improvement to come. We seem to have Vydra and Lawrence as "flair" players but both are like those fireworks which cost a lot yet have all but fizzled out after about 30 seconds of colouful delight. I see no "team-ness". As @Pearl Ram so correctly points out, I saw the ball rolled across our 6 yard line at least twice last night but for the want of a Fulham player to toe-poke home we'd have comfortably lost to a side sitting in 17th.

2. Our 7th place is I think a false position based on those 4 victories in October. We are basically a 12th-placed side; 

I think MM will stick with GR for the foreseeable. I was so happy to hear the common sense that MM talks - a Golden Thread running through the Club from Under 13 to first team, all playing the same style of attacking football with young hungry players coming up through the ranks. I contrast that with a first team reality of ageing 30-plus players, "happy" to scrape a point at 17th placed Fulham, even though we were given a football lesson. The style of football I see us playing is non-football. It is a tactic of negativity that belongs in the appendix of a Charles Hughes manual. I agree so much with a lot of GR's rhetoric - maximising fine margins, Kaizen philosophy, extreme fitness levels, etc but as a fan I just don't and cannot get excited about the football I see. I used to get so excited at the prospect. There is no rising tide of performance. There is a dank, anaerobic pool which smells a bit. Of sulphur. 

Just a thought ,,, could it be the players not doing what they are sent out to do sometimes ? Perhaps they get out there and don't feel they can do what they are sent out to do or they feel the opposition don't let them do what they are sent out to do ,,, I only ask because surely by the same measure rowett sent them out to do what they did after half time? Are we saying rowett sends them out there with instruction after half time to attack ,get a goal then go back into our shell? 

Seems to me a lot of it may be rowett trying to stamp out the naivety that haunted us for many years ? Chasing games too much at the wrong times and getting thumped because of it ? 

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I have seen the line "to a side sitting 17th" a fair bit. The fact they are 17th is irrelevant. They were in the playoffs last season and have a good squad and manager. We don't have a divine right to turn up and win 0-3 just because they are 17th.

They have 4 wins out of 17 games. They scored a late equalizer to Bolton. What they did last season is irrelevant. We are 10 places above them. Yet they were all over us and should have won comfortably. 

28 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I went to my first game in 1969 curtains, was a teenager in the Popside during the great years so I’ve seen the legends too and while unforgettable, it’s a lifetime ago.

You say it’s frustrating watching us at times, I say yesterday’s first half was embarrassing, I was livid, I thought we were inept and it’s not  the only time he’s sent us out like that.

Some say it’s a work in progress others say it’s still early days, fine, I just think our league position flatters us and Rowett is an average manager who’s not so much kissed the Blarney Stone but given it a right good seeing to.

Superb. 

2 hours ago, toddy said:

We are a million miles off a team capable of promotion this season, we don't have the players, we don't have the manager and  I actually don't think we have the desire.

We have become so boring to watch, boring, boring Derby.

I shall be keeping my cash firmly in my pocket next summer!

Your constant and unshakeable support will be sorely missed, I'm sure.

52 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

And that's what I don't get about yours and Ellafella's views Pearl - you've clearly been around a while and seen all the comings and goings over a long period of time; you've seen football change, transfer windows and the way players have to be managed change; you've seen agents and Sky and BT and inordinate amounts of money come into the game; you've seen a new stadium; criminals in charge of us and decent people too. And yet you have no patience.

I started watching us in 1963.  I remember Tim Ward going and the team finishing 17th in 1966/67 after many years of achieving not very much.  I also remember Brian and Peter coming and getting 11 players out in their first year (when there were no restrictions on when transfers could happen; no agents to guide players; no players seeing their contracts out; no foreign players to add to the pool of players available to the top clubs; when players did what they were told).  I also remember their first full season in 1967/68 whilst this change was happening.  We finished 18th and I remember well then the 'Clough out' voices that were raised - the guy's too young, too opinionated, he's changed too much, the defence doesn't defend, Kevin Hector is isolated and not getting the service, the midfield's too slow.

It hadn't changed too much after 16 games in your first season either (presumably 1968/69).  Our record then was won 8, drawn 5, lost 3. Not too different to now.  And look what happened that season.

This is not to argue that GR is the genius that Brian was.  There have been few that could match him in my lifetime. It's not even to argue that we will go up this season. But it is to say that even geniuses need time, and even geniuses benefit from support.

11 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Haha, who is the manager for you then, Alex Fergerson,  Brian Clough, Bob Paisley , for god sake, Derbys biggest problem is sacking manager after manager, Mr Rowett is deffo the manager to take us forward, back 4 looking good, never give up, work as a team, sounds like the things that all great managers instill to begin with, then the performances come later, come on we are 7th, and lost 1 in 9 , stop having your head in the clouds and realise what gets you out of the Championship, In Mr Rowett we have a really good chance of promotion in the next couple of seasons.

Derby's problem is the managerial appointments.appart from McLaren 1st time they have been wrong,the sackings have been correct.

Archived