England v Germany

Day

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't see all the game, just the last bit when he didn't do much bar lots of safe passing, what did he do?

Yeah he did tire towards the end but he made some beautiful first time balls, looks to have some great vision which imo is arguably the most important thing in young players, skill can be worked on. Ran the midfield, also had a surprising amount of strength to keep a hold of the ball. Have to admit I wasn’t expecting too much of him after being in that palace side, but he’s Earnt another run out against Brazil to try and nick himself a place next year imo.

I'm not quite sure why Southgate wanted to play 3-5-2 tonight though. It's not going to fit with the players that will actually play. A slight variation of 3-4-3 would probably be closer to what we'll see in Russia. I'm guessing the first choice XI is still going to look something like...

Hart; Walker Stones Cahill Jones Rose; Dier Henderson; Alli Sterling; Kane.

Based on tonight there's a few that have given a good account of themselves and good form over the season will give them a real chance. Loftus-Cheek could get into one of the CM positions, would give us more of an attacking, link-up between the midfield and attack. Maguire did well, although I'm unsure he's going to get past any of those three currently. I'd have Hart as 3rd choice currently. Butland or Pickford deserve a chance, both seem much less mistake-prone than Hart. From qualifiers, it seems Hart still has that no.1 shirt firmly in his grasp though.

Just now, Kernow said:

I'm not quite sure why Southgate wanted to play 3-5-2 tonight though. It's not going to fit with the players that will actually play. A slight variation of 3-4-3 would probably be closer to what we'll see in Russia. I'm guessing the first choice XI is still going to look something like...

Hart; Walker Stones Cahill Jones Rose; Dier Henderson; Alli Sterling; Kane.

Based on tonight there's a few that have given a good account of themselves and good form over the season will give them a real chance. Loftus-Cheek could get into one of the CM positions, would give us more of an attacking, link-up between the midfield and attack. Maguire did well, although I'm unsure he's going to get past any of those three currently. I'd have Hart as 3rd choice currently. Butland or Pickford deserve a chance, both seem much less mistake-prone than Hart. From qualifiers, it seems Hart still has that no.1 shirt firmly in his grasp though.

Thought maguire showed enough to replace cahill and ditto loftus-cheek with henderson. 

Joe gomez also didn't do himself any harm with a few really good cross field passes from the back.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Thought maguire showed enough to replace cahill and ditto loftus-cheek with henderson. 

Joe gomez also didn't do himself any harm with a few really good cross field passes from the back.

They looked good enough in this one game yes, but that's going to be the big question regarding Southgate. Is he willing to put younger players who are doing well in ahead of the more experienced players at bigger clubs? It's all well and good playing Maguire and Loftus-Cheek in a friendly but if this was England v Germany in the opening group game of the 2018 World Cup I expect Cahill and Henderson would be guaranteed starters. It would be great if Southgate broke that mould, but I'm not convinced he will.

Just now, Kernow said:

They looked good enough in this one game yes, but that's going to be the big question regarding Southgate. Is he willing to put younger players who are doing well in ahead of the more experienced players at bigger clubs? It's all well and good playing Maguire and Loftus-Cheek in a friendly but if this was England v Germany in the opening group game of the 2018 World Cup I expect Cahill and Henderson would be guaranteed starters. It would be great if Southgate broke that mould, but I'm not convinced he will.

I was also interested to hear that some of the German "guaranteed starters" do not come from the so called big clubs.

Eg timo werner - played in 20+ matches,  started last 7 I think the commentator said, plays for rb leipzig. 

Southgate should get his bloomin head out of Chelsea,  man u etcs a**e.

But he's weak. Even if cahill were dropped by Chelsea,  I'm sure it would prompt yet another shift in position to justify him still being picked. 

I am sure loads of people on here have played FIFA on PS and Xbox ...

Watching the game it reminded me of when you sub yourself off, and the console plays out the rest of the match, and you just watch. From my experience this ends in a boring draw.

That's how it felt to me. :)

We are none the wiser.

Oh yeah, and it was like watching paint dry.

19 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

20 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

We are none the wiser.

That's the way I saw it. We didn't press, so they had lots of time on the ball, but to be fair they didn't look like scoring in the second half. Reminded me of the game in Germany where we were lauded after losing!

Couldn't understand some of the selections; Abraham, young I know, didn't look the part, Livermore was meh. Having said that I'm not sure of the names of all the players that suddenly picked up mysterious injuries.

16 hours ago, Kernow said:

This.

This has been the pattern of recent years. I believe Germany blood new players in qualifiers whereas we only seem to in friendlies and then retreat to the "known quantities " come tournament time.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nothing like building an English player up to be a superstar after one game.

Southgate coming out and saying Loftus-Cheek is able to do anything.

Really Gareth? I bet he can’t lick his own elbow or fold a piece of paper in half 15 times.

As far as England is concerned we are obsessed with youth. 

Then we get to a tournament and they can't cope with wily old players like Buffon and Robben.

Or those awesome players that Iceland had.

Archived