Derby County V Sheffield Wednesday

peachmyster

Good in the 1st half and probably could have gone into half time 3 or 4 up if it weren't for Westwood/ poor finishing. Really poor in the 2nd but Rowett made some good subs which turned the game back in our favour, so well done that man.

Carson 6 - nothing to do.

Wisdom 6 - quite sloppy today and wasn't his usual self.

Keogh 8 - Same old Keogh.

Davies 7 - Like Keogh, was solid at the back, but quite a few times today he tried to rush a bit and gave away the ball.

Forsyth 7 - Good performance but there was still the odd dodgy pass or cross.

Huddlestone 7 - Was wanting Tom to spray those long diagonal balls all game with them having 10 men and being more compact, but unfortunately he kept it a bit too simple today for my liking.

Ledley 9 (MOTM) - Get him signed up for another couple of years.

Russell 8 - Really happy to see Johnny improving each week and hopefully we get him signed to a new contract before we lose him for next to nothing in January. 

Vydra 7 - Started really well but drifted in and out of the game for most of it.

Lawrence 8 - 1 of his better performances in a Derby shirt I thought. He did really well defensively and was unlucky not to score.

Nugent 5 - Nothing seemed to go right for him today and you could see how frustrated he was.

Martin 7 - Linked up well and got us a little bit more control on the ball when Wednesday were starting to apply pressure.

Johnson 7 - Great goal and got stuck in after coming on.

Thorne 10 - Beautiful human.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reading back through the last few pages. Why do some of you bother ????  You can’t be enjoying yourself, I assume you weren’t at the game or you wouldn’t be so nervous and expecting doomsday. It sounds like a few were disappointed WE scored the 2 nd goal rather than them. Just so they could post “I told u so” 

I've not seen it back, yet but shouldn't we have had another peno when Lawrence hit the post and didn't their keeper handle outside the box soon afterwards?

They had me a bit nervous in the middle of the second half, but in the end Carson was largely untroubled. Sheff Wed played really well in a classic 10 men away scenario, but we never really had to get out of second gear.

Lawrence needs a goal. Johnny Russell was my MoM.

On a bit of a mini-run now. Clean sheets. Can we keep it rolling? It's hope rather than expectation at the moment as we're not really convincing me. Solid, but unspectacular. 

Win is a win, never easy playing against a team who put everyone behind the ball. Really wanted more from Huddlestone today though, you could see he was disappointed in his performance.

For me, Chris Martin and Bradley Johnson had to come on at half time, needed Martin to hold the ball up and get a runner beyond him. 

Also, love watching Barry Bannan play, great player. Can't see him being at Wednesday for much longer. 

2 minutes ago, needles said:

I've not seen it back, yet but shouldn't we have had another peno when Lawrence hit the post and didn't their keeper handle outside the box soon afterwards?

They had me a bit nervous in the middle of the second half, but in the end Carson was largely untroubled. Sheff Wed played really well in a classic 10 men away scenario, but we never really had to get out of second gear.

On a bit of a mini-run now. Clean sheets. Can we keep it rolling? It's hope rather than expectation at the moment as we're not really convincing me. Solid, but unspectacular. 

I thought the same about your first paragraph. On the other hand though I though Wednesday should probably have had a pen for the push on Fletcher.

To be honest I can’t remember the ref getting a decision right, apart from our pen

Referees decisions were a major factor.

It was a penalty for us but there is no way that it should be a sending off. The defender has to make an attempt to win the ball. He didn't deliberately bring vydra down.

it looked like a pen for them and presumably yet another silly red which would have evened it up.

Overall 2-0 flattered. 1-0 would have been fair. 1-1 would have been harsh.

for us - forsyth was too negative and killed numerous possible attacks. We need ledley or huddlestone to push up but they sat deep.

for wednesday - bannan and hooper looked alright, but they we were far more static and orthodox than the fluid side that pulled us all over the place last season.

a match that won't live long in the memory.

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Didn’t Carson make a flying save?

Wasnt at the game, but at one point, the Opta Stats  did say Wallace/Bannan (cant remember which) had a shot in the top corner saved...

Its weird how they sometimes take stats off.

Happened against cardiff with a Bamba header early in the game, and i was wondering did it get chalked off, as an effort on goal, if a freekick was given or it was offside.

A win’s a win. Playing against 10 men will always be a tough thing to do for 85 minutes and make it a compelling attacking performance, but do we ALWAYS have to wait for them to build to banks of 4 before we’re ready to have a go at them? Some of our build up play was so deferential and slow.

First 25 minutes was exciting tho and Lawrence should’ve had the game by the swingers with his effort that hit the Post. Shame for him as he’s worked hard.

Overall, we’ll all take the 3 points, but could someone please tell me what Huddlestone brings this team? I don’t wanna beat up on our own players, but I’m just not sure what he does that’s of benefit to anyone!??

10 minutes ago, needles said:

Ha, I thought that with Lawrence’s chance, after chipping it he’s technically still running towards the ball and the game is still in play...probably would have been a little harsh. The handball was a poor decision though, when you’ve stopped a goal, accidental or not, then it’s a foul (and i guess a sending off?)

Archived