Derby County V Notts Forest

peachmyster

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I can't understand how you can pinpoint the 'weaknesses' in Mac's team play like you have - where are the stats to back them up as the reason for our failure to get promotion? It's Fake News. The bloody play-off final is evidence of how well Mac did. FFS!

Automatic promotion is what Rowett is aiming for. 

Playoffs are a lottery.

McClaren didn’t get us promoted like it or not he didn’t for whatever reason. 

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't understand how you can pinpoint the 'weaknesses' in Mac's team play like you have - where are the stats to back them up as the reason for our failure to get promotion? It's Fake News. The bloody play-off final is evidence of how well Mac did. FFS!

You’re putting words in my mouth and you’re derailing my original point. You’re coming across like a prat on multiple threads so I’m gonna bend over and let you feel like you’ve had this one good and proper. Go concentrate on another self-afflicted battle. I’m not wasting my energy. 

Just now, cosmic said:

You’re putting words in my mouth and you’re derailing my original point. You’re coming across like a prat on multiple threads so I’m gonna bend over and let you feel like you’ve had this one good and proper. Go concentrate on another self-afflicted battle. I’m not wasting my energy. 

And yet you had to reply to tell me that you're not wasting your energy! Sounds like you've got 'pointless point-scoring' off to a fine art mate. :lol:

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Automatic promotion is what Rowett is aiming for. 

Playoffs are a lottery.

McClaren didn’t get us promoted like it or not he didn’t for whatever reason. 

Jim Smith didn't win us thePremier League

Brian Clough didn't win us the European cup 

Failures?

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Jim Smith didn't win us thePremier League

Brian Clough didn't win us the European cup 

Failures?

McClaren wasn’t a failure at Derby he got sacked by Mel for reasons I don’t know about.  

Mel must have had his reasons but don’t forget he had him back didn’t he after he got sacked at Newcastle. 

24 minutes ago, curtains said:

McClaren wasn’t a failure at Derby he got sacked by Mel for reasons I don’t know about.  

Mel must have had his reasons but don’t forget he had him back didn’t he after he got sacked at Newcastle. 

Did he win something with us or did he fail to win something with us?

15 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Did he win something with us or did he fail to win something with us?

He didn’t win anything per say .

To be honest it’s a debate that is irrelevant now unless he returns again. 

Gary Rowett is our manager now and I’m glad about that.  

Gary at St George’s tonight bye the way watching the lads .

leighton James and NC also watching 

A lot being made of huddlestones passing by some. I think Warburton targeted him, every time he was given the ball facing his own goal forest had a man on him knowing he struggles to turn. Notice also Davies had a lot of the ball, that's cos forest shut off the options to Keogh. Those factors combined with at times limited movement from the front 4 in the first half affected the performance. But we sat deep, rode the storm, hit them on the break when we could and actually, forest had the mackay chance before half time and Cummings after half time - they were their only clear chances in the whole game for me, the others were speculative punts that nearly came off or were half chances.

Getting the early lead and keeping is why I think Rowett didn't change tactic. If Forest had got level, then I think he would've brought Martin on earlier and we would've gone long with Martin holding the ball up and building from in forests half. But we got the second at the right time and then dominated from there.

Solid performance and ruthless. We can definitely play better but solid and ruthless gets you results even when you don't play well. How many times in recent years have we come away from matches thinking we played teams off the park and lost. Burnley 4-1 away springs to mind as a particularly troubling nights.

Credit where credit is due this was a good win against the best forest side to come to Derby for years (more speaks of how bad theyve been) They'll be mid-table this season and will occasionally turn some of the top 6 over due their style of play.

Lawrence coming in for a bit of stick is warranted but I think a few people need to maybe take a step back and have a look at where/what he is.

There's a temptation to compare him to Ince, for good reason. He's pretty much his direct replacement, he's taken his old shirt number and erm..his name is Tom. But I think that's unfair on Lawrence right now.

He's not as good as Ince, that's obvious, but that's because Ince is the finished product as far the championship goes. Lawrence isn't yet. 

Despite him being 23, he's not played anywhere near as many games as Ince had by the time he was 23 and you can really tell. He doesnt link up with his fullback too well, he's not a great passer yet and, particularly if you compare the Forest game last year to this year, his movement isn't anywhere near as good as Ince's.

I think the best is yet to come from Lawrence. I don't think we really have a defined style of play yet which isn't really giving him much chance to settle and develop. I feel like the plan's changed about 4 or 5 times since Sunderland away. I don't think we got enough done in the transfer window, as you could see by the deadline day rush, and the squad is still very much a work in process. I think this window will pay off either in january or next summer, not so much in the first half of this season.

Hopefully Rowett will develop a style/system that suits our best attacking players like Lawrence and Vydra. We'll see more growth out of Lawrence when we settle a bit and sort out the midfield, which is currently a bit of a shambles.

I still think our wingers and midfielders would be having more joy with a certain wardrobe shaped lump to play off but I'm heavily biased what with me being the father of Chris Martin's wife.

Few points from the game:

We sat off for long periods which may have looked as if Forest were playing the ball round us but having listened to Rowett, I gather that was the game plan. He got it absolutely right on Sunday - I really hope he can get us playing away from home now with Vydra in the side. George coming off the bench and playing number 10 was a masterstroke, he could have so easily dropped him in the anchor man role and brought on the pressure.

Great to see George back on the pitch, looked a tad over weight but I'm sure that'll get better over the season.

Vydra is the key man - we have to keep him playing. He's a match winner!

Forsyth was the only one who wasn't at it. Had an absolute mare, caught out of position and got skinned every single time. Right now I prefer Olson but when you looked at the quality of Wisdom on the other side it makes me think we need to buy a new left back. Max Lowe will never be fit from the looks of things.

Ledley was very tidy, uses the ball well and rarely gets caught unlike Johnson. Only thing that concerns me is that he's a left footed Huddlestone - not exactly the ball winner we maybe need. Had a good game though ? I'm just thinking maybe long term especially considering his age. 

Martin looked a threat again coming on and surprisingly linked up well with Thorne - they kept the ball very well in key areas.

For the first time in a long time we had game management. Experience actually showed on the pitch! For the first time in years Forest seemed softer than us.

I love watching Wisdom play, I agree with Roger Davies - could he play CM? 

Lawrence needs time. You can see flashes of absolute quality - I think in the long run he'll turn out a real Superstar! His delivery on set pieces is a breathe of fresh air and he always beats his man one on one. He just needs a goal.. 

18 hours ago, swiftur said:

Poorest side to come to derby in a long time,they were just s****, pure s**** . 3 points onwards and upwards.

They wasn't s**t at all and Warburton will get them into the top half this season imo....good result against a decent side

Was quietly pleased with the forest game when put side by side with the Cardiff draw and the little unbeaten run developing from a couple of thumping we received ,,, shows that rowett has been able to take things back to basics and get results that give us a building block , it feels very much like he is managing to get the players to buy into what he wants from them and is getting a fighting team spirit to develop ( in a way Pearson tried but was unable to do ) ,

was pleased for vyds as I have liked him from the start and believed he would come good given game time ( there's a player in there),,

not to sure about Lawrence yet but am happy to give him time as some fans perhaps see more in him at this point , what I will say is that although not a lot is coming off for him just now and he seems to be struggling a bit in terms of giving the ball away a bit too much for my liking he does not hide which is a real good quality and he may go on to be a fantastic player for us ,

for me the Russell knockers need to have a rethink ,, he is an assett at this level and he is a ram 

I'm also not worried by martin not being an automatic starter as I feel that his attitude is as good as I've seen it and I believe rowett values him and has conveyed that to martin ,, it's a long season with many different game type challenges and martin will be important to us and I get the feeling he knows that and will trust rowett ,, 

all in all at this point I have to say I'm comfortable with how rowett is starting to shape up and could turn out to be exactly the right appointment at the right time ,, 

1 hour ago, clarkeram7 said:

Few points from the game:

We sat off for long periods which may have looked as if Forest were playing the ball round us but having listened to Rowett, I gather that was the game plan. He got it absolutely right on Sunday - I really hope he can get us playing away from home now with Vydra in the side. George coming off the bench and playing number 10 was a masterstroke, he could have so easily dropped him in the anchor man role and brought on the pressure.

Great to see George back on the pitch, looked a tad over weight but I'm sure that'll get better over the season.

Vydra is the key man - we have to keep him playing. He's a match winner!

Forsyth was the only one who wasn't at it. Had an absolute mare, caught out of position and got skinned every single time. Right now I prefer Olson but when you looked at the quality of Wisdom on the other side it makes me think we need to buy a new left back. Max Lowe will never be fit from the looks of things.

Ledley was very tidy, uses the ball well and rarely gets caught unlike Johnson. Only thing that concerns me is that he's a left footed Huddlestone - not exactly the ball winner we maybe need. Had a good game though ? I'm just thinking maybe long term especially considering his age. 

Martin looked a threat again coming on and surprisingly linked up well with Thorne - they kept the ball very well in key areas.

For the first time in a long time we had game management. Experience actually showed on the pitch! For the first time in years Forest seemed softer than us.

I love watching Wisdom play, I agree with Roger Davies - could he play CM? 

Lawrence needs time. You can see flashes of absolute quality - I think in the long run he'll turn out a real Superstar! His delivery on set pieces is a breathe of fresh air and he always beats his man one on one. He just needs a goal.. 

Lawrence's big issue, in common with many players of his age, is that he never glances up.

Awareness of team mates around you is so important.

If he can learn to use others, even just to give and get back, he will be dynamite.

I think with Lawrence v Ince, one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

Nice to have a threat from a set piece delivery.

But Lawrence is absolutely desperate for his first Derby goal, which is making his already selfish decision making a bit worse. Case in point was the opportunity late in the second half. Martin was in a better position for the shot and had space around him, but Tom elected to shoot himself. A decent effort, on target, but made difficult because of the angle. Don't get me wrong, I can't and won't blame him for having a go, but there was a better option.

I see more than enough in Lawrence to suggest we've bought a good player. Just needs time. 

On 16 October 2017 at 04:24, RamNut said:

Over reaction.

forest came close on numerous occasions - just couldn't quite finish

hit the post, mckay's one on one, cummings scoop over the bar, carson tip over, murphy near miss, another shot just wide of the post.

we sit deep and hold our shape - deliberately not running around - but in the end the clean sheet owes much to a bit of good fortune and some good saves from carson.

Absolutely correct. We ride Lady Luck like cheeky boys on the back of a milk float {remember those?}. We won't always get the rub of the gold top. :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely correct. We ride Lady Luck like cheeky boys on the back of a milk float {remember those?}. We won't always get the rub of the gold top. :mellow:

They came close on 4 occasions that was it .

One of those occasions which flicked the outside of the left post Carson had covered.

Carson well saved 2 others from McKay and Cummings was foiled by Davies doing just enough 

In fact McKay looked a decent player for them. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

They came close on 4 occasions that was it .

One if those occasions which flicked the outside of the left post Carson had covered.

Carson well saved 2 others from McKay and Cummings was foiled by Davies doing just enough 

So it could have been 2:4 then. 

Archived