Derby County V Notts Forest

peachmyster

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I enjoyed the game, but it wasn't exactly one for the purist. I actually thought our fitness was shocking in comparison to their team. Mobility aside, they seemed to cover more ground than us and were able to find space. We just seemed static and that caused a number of issues in itself. 

That being said, Forest are a really poor side. They can pass it around and look busy as much as they lack, but fundamentally I doubt we will come across many weaker sides this season. It's all about numbers for them; possession stats and shots. The amount of actually 'good' chances they worked came to one - McKay. Saying that, I thought he showed himself up in that opportunity because any half decent footballer would have buried it. He played himself into a rabbit hole and allowed Carson a chance to save it. 

I think today showed that we probably won't be troubling the top six this season & Forest could well be relegated come May. 

Over reaction.

forest came close on numerous occasions - just couldn't quite finish

hit the post, mckay's one on one, cummings scoop over the bar, carson tip over, murphy near miss, another shot just wide of the post.

we sit deep and hold our shape - deliberately not running around - but in the end the clean sheet owes much to a bit of good fortune and some good saves from carson.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Over reaction.

hit the post, mckay's one on one, cummings scoop over the bar, carson tip over, murphy near miss, another shot just wide of the post.

we sit deep and hold our shape - deliberately not running around - but in the end the clean sheet owes much to a bit of good fortune and some good saves from carson.

Yes, there were times when we were hoping they missed rather than snuffing them out.

That said, I was quite impressed with our back five and I thought Ledley did a lot of good grunt work in front of them. The difference with Russell was that he didn’t give the ball away as much, often drawing fouls with his dribbling.

As he said in his interview, the boys fought hard for each other. That’s a key element in success and long may it continue. It’s also a sign of faith in the manager.

One last thing - how nice is it to see goals scored from outside the box?!

Huddlestone and forsyth’s Passing in the first half disappointed me a bit. 

Very professional performance from us especially in the second half. Very enjoyable to watch. 

Thought both Thorne and Martin looked excellent when they came on! Martin is definitely pushing Nugent for that nod from Rowett. 

Only negative is that they did create 2/3 good opportunities against us as well as hitting the post... can’t rely on poor finishing! 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Over reaction.

Murphy's near miss was offside and would have been given if he had touched the ball.

McKay's shot that hit the post had already took a deflection off Wisdom and it was never going to beat Carson anyway.

It was basically the one on one and the Cummings scoop. As an inform Leeds team, at the time, are the only other team to keep a clean sheet against them, I think we did well to keep them to two decent chances. They take risks and we didn't counter very well in the first half.

We have a good base, and with a couple of additions in January to play more what Rowett is looking for will help. As will a fit Thorne. 

Everyone seems to be forgetting the shot Lawrence should have buried, the Vydra blocked shot eight yards out and Lawrence hitting the bar. We weren't brilliant, but we created enough to win.

Good performance. Solid, efficient, ruthless and quality when  we needed. No one can say we played hoofball yesterday. We can play better and I think we will in time. Of course we need to follow it up with the next games, but that solidity and ruthlessness we showed yesterday is exactly what this team has lacked previously.

Interesting how people have different perspectives, thought Lawrence wasn't at his best yesterday but he was involved and  got better as the game went on.

Russell defo MOM, his best performance for years, for me Wisdom and Davies followed him and of course Vydra. Foz had his best game for a while but still not the Foz of old. Martin immense when he came on, and the highlight for me was seeing George and he looked good! 

Im going to enjoy work today!!! ????

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Huddlestone and forsyth’s Passing in the first half disappointed me a bit. 

Passing was woeful first half all around.

This you cannot place the blame at the managers feet (not accusing you), Russell’s ball from the right into the East Stand miles from anyone just before the first half ended summed it up.

”Sloppy” 

Only place we looked capable of passing was on the edge of our box 2 yards a part, this is maybe where we wore down the Forest forwards that were Jack Russell like. Didn’t do my nerves any favours.

Thankfully at half time someone in the dressing room gave a demonstration on how to pass the ball to a man in a white shirt.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Murphy's near miss was offside and would have been given if he had touched the ball.

McKay's shot that hit the post had already took a deflection off Wisdom and it was never going to beat Carson anyway.

It was basically the one on one and the Cummings scoop. As an inform Leeds team, at the time, are the only other team to keep a clean sheet against them, I think we did well to keep them to two decent chances. They take risks and we didn't counter very well in the first half.

We have a good base, and with a couple of additions in January to play more what Rowett is looking for will help. As will a fit Thorne. 

Everyone seems to be forgetting the shot Lawrence should have buried, the Vydra blocked shot eight yards out and Lawrence hitting the bar. We weren't brilliant, but we created enough to win.

I agree that we deserved to win and that we created chances too.

the point i was trying to make is that the tactic of dropping deep and going compact has not prevented the opposition having enough chances to score one or two.

Also.....forest weren't as bad as he suggested. 

56 minutes ago, David said:

Passing was woeful first half all around.

This you cannot place the blame at the managers feet (not accusing you), Russell’s ball from the right into the East Stand miles from anyone just before the first half ended summed it up.

”Sloppy” 

Only place we looked capable of passing was on the edge of our box 2 yards a part, this is maybe where we wore down the Forest forwards that were Jack Russell like. Didn’t do my nerves any favours.

Thankfully at half time someone in the dressing room gave a demonstration on how to pass the ball to a man in a white shirt.

Have to disagree about the passing not being affected by the manager, whilst it’s not completely down to him, there were times when derby players had not one to pass to in the first half which resulted in misplaced passes.

The shape of the team yesterday, the personnel deployed in it and the tactics meant that when a derby player had the ball at his feet there were limited options to pass to, this makes it very difficult to retain possession hence why a lot of misplaced passes.  Rowett sets his teams up to counter attack, he isn’t worried about possession and he will try to turn the opposing defenders by playing balls into the channels etc....

This is how it will continue, I’m sure he was disappointed with the passing in the first half, but this is something that we have seen and will continue to see under GR, the second half got better because we scored another early goal, forest had to change their mentality and we found space easier.  He got the result, so I’m not complaining about the style, but imo this will be something that happens often under this manager.

You can dissect this one as much as you like but the fact remains that looking back on it in years to come all that will be remembered is that we took the 3pts with a 2-0, set up nicely with a beauty of a strike after 24 seconds by Vydra. There was no poignant coffee cup, corner flag waving or scarve twirling moments. For all Forest fans bleating about dominating possession, the scoreline shows they did nothing with their so called supremacy. We take the bragging rights. The champagne is on ice. Can't wait to say we beat them twice. COYR.

11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Have to disagree about the passing not being affected by the manager, whilst it’s not completely down to him, there were times when derby players had not one to pass to in the first half which resulted in misplaced passes.

Failure to pass to a man in white is nothing to do with the manager. At all. This is basics that is expected from the players.

It’s not chess, Rowett doesn’t pick each player up and position them on the pitch.

1 minute ago, David said:

Failure to pass to a man in white is nothing to do with the manager. At all. This is basics that is expected from the players.

It’s not chess, Rowett doesn’t pick each player up and position them on the pitch.

But he does tell them where to be positioned surely....that's the managers job and the passing under rowett has looked like this from day one.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

But he does tell them where to be positioned surely....that's the managers job and the passing under rowett has looked like this from day one.

There’s a general shape of course but as I say, this isn’t chess, players have freedom to move and collect a pass. 

Just before the end of the first half, Johnny Russell’s cross field ball straight into the East stand, did Rowett shout boot it out from the dugout?

2 minutes ago, David said:

There’s a general shape of course but as I say, this isn’t chess, players have freedom to move and collect a pass. 

Just before the end of the first half, Johnny Russell’s cross field ball straight into the East stand, did Rowett shout boot it out from the dugout?

It’s no good trying to explain things to people on here they don’t listen. 

Ask them who signed Vydra and why they sing Bryson songs and don’t sing about Vydra ! 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Fair enough, your view although I do disagree.  For me Rowett sets the team up, and he wants the players to keep a shape that makes it difficult to make forward passes to feet.  Of course you can pick specific example of, thats not down to anything else but a bad pass, that’s quite easy to be fair as it will happen in every game for ever team.

1 minute ago, curtains said:

It’s no good trying to explain things to people on here they don’t listen. 

It's a forum Curtains, discussions take place, this isn't a sit down and listen whilst I talk. 

I'm not always right.

This time I am though.

Players get off so easy time and time again, blame the manager. Chess was a poor example when Subbuteo was there to be had. 

Forget Rowett, Derby, this applies to any manager, club and players. Football is a dynamic game, not a static let the manager flick a player into position.

Basics such as passing falls on the players, 100% without question.

Tactical decisions such as moving Russell over to the left as Lichaj was getting forward more than Traore, Lawrence wasn't tracking back as well. Now had that been left untouched, Rowett's fault 100%. 

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Fair enough, your view although I do disagree.  For me Rowett sets the team up, and he wants the players to keep a shape that makes it difficult to make forward passes to feet.  Of course you can pick specific example of, thats not down to anything else but a bad pass, that’s quite easy to be fair as it will happen in every game for ever team.

Even Steve McClarens and even from Keogh. 

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Not to repeat myself, see my reply to Curtains just now as an example of something that left untouched you could fault Rowett for. Not passing a ball to a man in a white shirt.

Just now, David said:

It's a forum Curtains, discussions take place, this isn't a sit down and listen whilst I talk. 

I'm not always right.

This time I am though.

Players get off so easy time and time again, blame the manager. Chess was a poor example when Subbuteo was there to be had. 

Forget Rowett, Derby, this applies to any manager, club and players. Football is a dynamic game, not a static let the manager flick a player into position.

Basics such as passing falls on the players, 100% without question.

Tactical decisions such as moving Russell over to the left as Lichaj was getting forward more than Traore, Lawrence wasn't tracking back as well. Now had that been left untouched, Rowett's fault 100%. 

I agree .

Typical example was near the end when Lawrence chose to shoot when Martin was better paced to score. 

This is Football.  

David who did sign Vydra and sell Hendrick ! 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

I agree .

Typical example was near the end when Lawrence chose to shoot when Martin was better paced to score. 

This is Football.  

David who did sign Vydra and sell Hendrick ! 

A mad man that didn't know how to use Vydra properly. Thankfully he's no longer associated with our club. 

Archived