Derby County V Notts Forest

peachmyster

Great result yesterday at a time where it was important to pick up 3 points.

Given the creativity and quality Vydra showed yesterday, dropping him recently for Johnson surely points to the fact that the midfield 2 behind him need support due to a lack of mobility which is a concern. However, Thorne showed yesterday that he may well be very close to returning properly for us and the prospect of a Thorne-Ledley partnership is exciting. Huddlestone has an incredible passing range but when we play using only 2 central midfielders, his lack of pace can sometimes leave him slightly short, he's useful against teams that don't press and should be used as such but Thorne seems a better fit when we need a combination of physicality and technical ability.

The defence, barring the slip up in the first half, was generally solid. Forsyth looked better, caught out of position a couple of times but with match fitness hopefully he'll start cutting that out. Similar situation with Lawrence, showed glimpses but there's hopefully more to come as the team starts to click more. 

Yesterday was an effective performance and got us the result we all wanted but I'm hoping football-wise, there's more to come. We need to start playing with a bit more tenacity and urgency, otherwise the teams that can actually attack will catch us cold I feel. 

Oh and Nugent winding the Forest fans up has cemented his place in my heart :lol:

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

In the East Midlands derby both Derby County and Nottingham Forest fans have their own happy place, a recent game they can recall and smile. Forest have Ben Osborn’s last-minute goal at Pride Park in 2015; for Derby it is the 5-0 win a season earlier. This particular edition was not quite that good for the Rams but it will do for now. Derby beat Forest on Sunday with goals from Matej Vydra and David Nugent, and this was a game in which statistics told bigger lies than the most dishonest of conmen.

Forest had 57% of possession, had more shots, more shots on target and completed more passes. But ask anyone who witnessed the game which team controlled it and there will be only one sensible answer. This was a lesson in the perils of sterile domination; Forest passed the ball around for 90 minutes while Derby helped themselves to two goals and three points.

There are basically two ways to combat a team who try to pass out from the back, as Forest do: either press high and pressure them into mistakes or sit back, let them knock the ball around as much as they please, then pick them off. Derby tried option two with a dash of option one and it worked a treat. Their manager, Gary Rowett, noted after the game that Forest often pass the ball well but do not hurt their opponents in the final third of the pitch. That was certainly the case here.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2017/oct/16/derby-county-nottingham-forest-david-nugent

Funny how we’re turning into the type of team who actually have the tools to nullify and defeat our previous “Barcelona B” type incarnation. 

That bit in bold is exactly how we lost games under McClaren and we were unable to address the issue.

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Not sure I understand your tone. What’s your angle? I was making a comment on how we set up as a team nowadays. 

You highlighted a para and said that was the problem with Macs team. I assumed it had a relevance to the game we'd just played? Otherwise I don't see the point of your comment.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You highlighted a para and said that was the problem with Macs team. I assumed it had a relevance to the game we'd just played? Otherwise I don't see the point of your comment.

Yeah it had a relevance to the game we just played because Rowett is setting us up to be able to exploit the style of football we used to adopt - i.e playing it from the back. It was an observation. Not difficult to get your head around. Don’t get why you’re so disgruntled by it.

Just now, cosmic said:

Yeah it had a relevance to the game we just played because Rowett is setting us up to be able to exploit the style of football we used to adopt - i.e playing it from the back. It was an observation. Not difficult to get your head around. Don’t get why you’re so disgruntled by it.

Because I didn't see the relevance to a style of play we've not played for a while, other than it seemed than for you to take a sideswipe at one of our most successful managers (win percentage wise) in recent years.

8 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I imagine it was because you either had the audacity to praise Rowett and or imply criticism of SMC!  I think there will be general disgruntlement from this source until we all agree that Rowett should be sacked and he can sit back with a 'told you so' smirk on his face.  Its all very black and white, you see; it has been decreed that GR should be gone from this place and there shall be no budging from that point of view until it is so.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because I didn't see the relevance to a style of play we've not played for a while, other than it seemed than for you to take a sideswipe at one of our most successful managers (win percentage wise) in recent years.

:lol: where is the sideswipe in my post?! You’re looking for an arguement that isn’t there. Again.

I loved our football under McClaren. Doesn’t affect in any way the observation I made. I just find it ironic that we’re becoming the very thing that often made us come unstuck under SMC. The bloody Playoff Final is a prime example, FFS!

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

:lol: where is the sideswipe in my post?! You’re looking for an arguement that isn’t there. Again.

I loved our football under McClaren. Doesn’t affect in any way the observation I made. I just find it ironic that we’re becoming the very thing that often made us come unstuck under SMC. The bloody Playoff Final is a prime example, FFS!

I can't understand how you can pinpoint the 'weaknesses' in Mac's team play like you have - where are the stats to back them up as the reason for our failure to get promotion? It's Fake News. The bloody play-off final is evidence of how well Mac did. FFS!

Archived