Let's look at the positives.

RiddingsRam

Can someone remind me of the fantastic football we were playing pre-Rowett as I seem to have forgotten or missed it somewhere??? 

We've steadily declined since the horrendous transfers of 15/16 season, 5 managers have been and gone and couldn't change it, not even McC 2 who for the second time failed to address our holding midfielder issue or add any steel to our team.

We are not the team of 3 years ago, it may not be great now but it isn't any worst than it was before Rowett arrived. He needs time to implement his ideas and hopefully he will take us forward again. I think he gets what's needed in this division, implementing it is an entirely different matter - that's not me being a happy clapper that's just my "balanced" opinion.

I was fuming when McC was sacked a second time, our form was around top 6 during the time he was in charge, but there were aspects of the team holding us back such as a lack of steel and resilience which he failed to address. I'm pleased this manager is trying to address that and I also think while some talented players have left (they wanted to leave for the premier league, that is what happens when you don't get promoted), there remains talent in this squad to do something.

We need stability and I'm not judging this manager yet. I'm happy to remain positive, as it has been far far worst!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Can someone remind me of the fantastic football we were playing pre-Rowett as I seem to have forgotten or missed it somewhere??? 

We've steadily declined since the horrendous transfers of 15/16 season, 5 managers have been and gone and couldn't change it, not even McC 2 who for the second time failed to address our holding midfielder issue or add any steel to our team.

We are not the team of 3 years ago, it may not be great now but it isn't any worst than it was before Rowett arrived. He needs time to implement his ideas and hopefully he will take us forward again. I think he gets what's needed in this division, implementing it is an entirely different matter - that's not me being a happy clapper that's just my "balanced" opinion.

I was fuming when McC was sacked a second time, our form was around top 6 during the time he was in charge, but there were aspects of the team holding us back such as a lack of steel and resilience which he failed to address. I'm pleased this manager is trying to address that and I also think while some talented players have left (they wanted to leave for the premier league, that is what happens when you don't get promoted), there remains talent in this squad to do something.

We need stability and I'm not judging this manager yet. I'm happy to remain positive, as it has been far far worst!

He only got a january window. Not a great time to buy so his options were limited in fairness.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

True, and also in fairness he never got any serious money to spend, along with Clough.

However, he had loan options and he chose Julien de Sart. 

Did it make any difference?

Yes, he didn't address the glaringly obvious that we had no holding player to play his system, which I think in part was the reason it all unraveled at the end. De Sart was the wrong type of player for the championship as was Omar Mascarell before in his previous tenure.

My point was McClaren good as he was failed to address the lack of steel in the team, we only played one way and when sussed we were easily beaten. Even though at no point was the football good second time around, his results didn't warrant his sacking, but if he were in charge would we be in any better position than we are now? I'm not sure? 

Mels decided to change it, but now he needs to stick with it. Another change will be disaster, which is why I will remain positive about Rowett until he has been given a fair crack of the whip.

2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Like Wassall did. Unless it's catastrophic I think the manager needs time, not just ours , any.

Problem is fans need to see something in the current manager that gives a direction on where we are going. I'd guess today roughly half can and roughly half can't. The more focal ones will always be the out brigade rather than the in brigade.

Agree any manager needs time, but I don't see the end game with Rowett with his playing style.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was fuming when McC was sacked a second time, our form was around top 6 during the time he was in charge, but there were aspects of the team holding us back such as a lack of steel and resilience which he failed to address. I'm pleased this manager is trying to address that

Steel and resilience is what took us into the top six in the first place under him. Trying to build upon that is what cost him his job.

10 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Yes, he didn't address the glaringly obvious that we had no holding player to play his system, which I think in part was the reason it all unraveled at the end. De Sart was the wrong type of player for the championship as was Omar Mascarell before in his previous tenure.

My point was McClaren good as he was failed to address the lack of steel in the team, we only played one way and when sussed we were easily beaten. Even though at no point was the football good second time around, his results didn't warrant his sacking, but if he were in charge would we be in any better position than we are now? I'm not sure? 

Mels decided to change it, but now he needs to stick with it. Another change will be disaster, which is why I will remain positive about Rowett until he has been given a fair crack of the whip.

I would prefer the football from Macs second tenure instead of the turgid football served up by GR for the majority of this season.

Macs failing was that he didn't bring in a DM, he didn't completely dismantle the midfield and bring in players that were the complete opposite of what he had been saying he wanted.  Would we be in a better position, I would say yes, his team needed a couple of additions in key areas, I haven't got a scooby what this team needs as I'm yet to work out what style of play GR is trying to implement.

Derby have already played 5 out of the top 6 and three of those games have been played away. Huddersfield also played 4-2-3-1 last year. Their defence was solid as is ours and they didn't score too many goals . However they had a youthful and energetic midfield 2 which we don't and I think that is the main difference. I think Lawrence was a good signing and I think we can score more goals than Huddersfield but they were very resilient winning around 25 games by a 1 goal margin and not giving silly goals away like Vydra did at Brentford. In my view that is where we need to be. if we can beat Forest and Wednesday and get something from the away games against leeds and Norwich we should be ok.

It isn't what it was, but then, it never really was what it was.

Overall, its a resounding "meh" from me.

If what is happening is part of a transition to a proper work as a unit team and it seems bad because they're still learning how to do that, then I'm OK with it as longer term it'll improve points wise, confidence wise and style wise. However, that "if" still looms fairly large.

I'm naturally a positive person in between bouts of suicidal depression, so yes, I'll happy clapper for the most part.

Freud also had a lot of things to say about "mother" as well, so, pinch of salt with the owd coke addled cigar chomping nutter/farther of psychoanalysis.

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It isn't what it was, but then, it never really was what it was.

Overall, its a resounding "meh" from me.

If what is happening is part of a transition to a proper work as a unit team and it seems bad because they're still learning how to do that, then I'm OK with it as longer term it'll improve points wise, confidence wise and style wise. However, that "if" still looms fairly large.

I'm naturally a positive person in between bouts of suicidal depression, so yes, I'll happy clapper for the most part.

Freud also had a lot of things to say about "mother" as well, so, pinch of salt with the owd coke addled cigar chomping nutter/farther of psychoanalysis.

So, Radio...lay on the couch and relax. How long have you been having these..{ahem} fantasies about your mother...:mellow:

4 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Derby have already played 5 out of the top 6 and three of those games have been played away. Huddersfield also played 4-2-3-1 last year. Their defence was solid as is ours and they didn't score too many goals . However they had a youthful and energetic midfield 2 which we don't and I think that is the main difference. I think Lawrence was a good signing and I think we can score more goals than Huddersfield but they were very resilient winning around 25 games by a 1 goal margin and not giving silly goals away like Vydra did at Brentford. In my view that is where we need to be. if we can beat Forest and Wednesday and get something from the away games against leeds and Norwich we should be ok.

Aha!

Then, like Huddersfield we can unleash Tom Ince on the premier league!

Oh, er, hang on....:lol:

42 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Aha!

Then, like Huddersfield we can unleash Tom Ince on the premier league!

Oh, er, hang on....:lol:

They didn't have him last season. I am not convinced he is good enough for the PL anyway. I wasn't always convinced he was good enough for the Champ. Defensively he was hopeless.

19 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

They didn't have him last season. I am not convinced he is good enough for the PL anyway. I wasn't always convinced he was good enough for the Champ. Defensively he was hopeless.

*sigh*

I can't even be bothered to argue against the narrative anymore 

17 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

My point was McClaren good as he was failed to address the lack of steel in the team, we only played one way and when sussed we were easily beaten

What team plays 2 ways? 

Can predict the system and style of every team. 

We used to have variation in our system.

Being "sussed out" is what fans of good teams always seem to say when that team has a blip. 

3 hours ago, Harrowram said:

He's looked OK for Huddersfield, playing in a much better team with a manager who knows what he's doing. 

3 hours ago, Harrowram said:

God knows what that means for the rest of the team then seeing he was clearly our best player....

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

What team plays 2 ways? 

Can predict the system and style of every team. 

We used to have variation in our system.

Being "sussed out" is what fans of good teams always seem to say when that team has a blip. 

It's another one of those bloody football cliche, it means nothing, but some guy at the pub thinks he's smart saying it, so he continues to go with it. It's absolutely ludicrous of course, but hey. I'd rather go back to the ''figured out'' Mac1 form. 

Archived