Another Chris Martin Thread

TuffLuff

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Impossible to say that bringing off Martin cost them the game but it probably reduced their chances. The partnership between Griffiths and CM looked to be their best opportunity for further goals.

True. But it was odd where Griffiths played at times. Not a fan of strikers taking corners either.

2 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I didn’t understand that,I know a few Scottish lads and nearly all of them are massive(not sure on their footballing ability mind).

It's a crazy argument designed to cover up for the fact that Scottish football isn't very good.

There are loads of examples of great little footballers.  

It was the big ones like Mulgrew constantly lumping long balls at a hopelessly outnumbered Griffiths who cost Scotland.

Martin and Fletcher hardly set the world alight either.

10 hours ago, Ellafella said:

They are just too wee; Why do you think Brazil have won the World Cup so may times...that's right they're all 7 footers...:mellow:

Having seven feet must be an advantage. You could run with two and dribble with the other five.

Awkward knowing where your private parts go though when you have an odd number of legs.

It's cyclical, Scotland were good once and will be again at some point, they are just going through a bad patch , they don't have a big ( in number) population so it's always going to be difficult, England have no excuse..... and yes I'm English ..... beginning to like Harry Kane 

Re the Nugent / Martin issue .. I have no problem with David Nugent, he is a good player, and in other circumstances I would be reasonably happy with him as Derby's centre forward .. however, the situation whereby Gary Rowett selects him regularly in preference to Chris Martin is utterly ludicrous, and says a lot about the manager's evaluation of each player's contribution to the team, and his  (obvious lack of) appreciation of the ability of Martin as (still) the best centre forward in the Championship ! 

Equally, I cannot understand the attitude of a large proportion of the fan base (including many here on the Forum), whereby, apparently because Nugent smiles a lot, and Martin scowls and sometimes complains to his team mates, Nugent is the one who gets the songs and the praise ..

The latter is just an annoyance, but Rowett's attitude to Martin, his treatment of Will Hughes, and his preferred style of (primarily negative) football, just goes to prove that, as a long term solution to the Derby County managerial post, he scores only a few 'points' more than Pearson, Jewell or Davies ! 

16 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He went with Nugent to start as he wanted Forests back line to be under more pressure. They try to play out and therefore started with a willing runner to force them out of their stride. Chris coming on when he did was perfect timing in my book. Both players have a big part to play.

Yes that's 100% true TSP but come Jan, will Martin want to continue to play second fiddle and have a role as late inning sub at home? 

I do think ppl underestimate the larger role Rowett sees for martin in away games. He's prob close to first choice in away games at this point (v Winnall) but ... if he's not guaranteed to start or he's fighting for it, will he want to stay? With his notoriety for Scotland and his past record for us, they'll surely be suitors in Jan and if he wants out he will prob be allowed to go you think.

Archived