Another Chris Martin Thread

TuffLuff

*I’m fully aware of the vertigo a thread like this may cause as we go round and round in circles, but thought as we now have a international break it’s worth getting our teeth stuck into it. Also it’s msybe the big point coming out of the weekend and it’s not really being discussed*

I think before Cardiff I was worried that CM was gonna become the forgotten man within our attacking options, even though there’s a definite argument that he’s the right striker to fit the current system. As many have previously said, that somehow feels like The Derby Way.

It was good to see him come on and make a difference at Cardiff, I’m hoping that half might be the performance that kick starts our season and Rowett sees what works well.

I hope now we might start to see Martin starting games again and finding some form, an in form Martin is the difference between mid table and into the play off positions. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

18months since he last scored in open play for Derby.

Not here for a season and there’s two pre seasons in that 18 months....

You see I still can’t understand why some people’s first response about Martin is straight up negative. I would have loved to see the reactions if Martin had missed the Nugent chance Saturday.

The point is that Martins attributes suit this team and we are desperate for someone to hold the ball upfront and for others to get in and around him. We might not see him score more goals but we would get more goals from around the team.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It would be interesting to see how many minutes he has played for Derby in that time. How many starts, how many full 90 minutes he has completed.

I have said for ages, him and Nugent together would be lethal.

He has played 1590 minutes of games since his last goal (works out at 17 2/3 ish of game time), 16 starts of which 12 he played the full 90, including league cup games.

It must be difficult when you have such a plethora of good strikers in your team. I for one am not bothered too much who starts and who doesn't just as long as they are allowed to from partnerships and an understanding with the rest of the team instead of swapping and changing for the sake of it.

Martin in the holding role would be good with either of our front men but they also need time to gel.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

It must be difficult when you have such a plethora of good strikers in your team. I for one am not bothered too much who starts and who doesn't just as long as they are allowed to from partnerships and an understanding with the rest of the team instead of swapping and changing for the sake of it.

Martin in the holding role would be good with either of our front men but they also need time to gel.

We do have very good strikers, but part of me fears towards how good the combinations we have seen so far can be (if that makes sense).

For example, I’m not too set alight with the idea of Vydra and Nugent. It’s good in an open game but both are ineffective in a tight, nervy affair. Winnall has looked good from the bench but not really done the business from a start point. It’s difficult, but I do think Martin has to be a lynchpin to it all somewhere in the starting attack

The problem is GR is unsure who to play upfront. 3 people have now started someone just needs a run of games.

Imo our style of counter attacking needs a target man but if you want to stretch the play Winnall can do that as well as Bent.

CM is now probably one of the best players technically we have at the club. He linked up well with Nugent at Cardiff and actually tracked back.

I think he should start against Forest it depends how they setup i suppose but their back 3 a woeful. If they sit deep his technical ability will shine in the final 3rd if we are under pressure and need a getout he is the best at the club. Mancienne is atroctious so i fancy CM all day.

He could lose a leg and the pig headedness of some want him starting regardless if he doesn't know how to score a goal anymore. If GR starts Nugent and Vydra, Forest will get skewered.

No to starting. A decent bench option in selective matches, we must keep his value at a sellable level for a ££ January exit. All is well.

6 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

People complain about his diving, but its so important when playing away and under a bit of pressure.

Hoof the ball long to him, he gets "fouled", get the free kick and give the defence a break for a minute or two

I like his diving. He's great at diving I'll grant you that. In a team looking for small margins late on, it's helpful. He also does nice flicks and stuff don't forget that (flick to Nuge). You can always find good qualities in every individual - true in life. But if when he badly passes the ball to Cardiff as we were about to counter (he had nicely won the ball), and they get a dangerous chance - if they score on that and it was a scary moment, he'd have been in the doghouse in a bigger way than Vydra ever was at Brentford 

Archived