The decline of Radio Derby (?)

LazloW

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree with this and have thought it for some time. If I had a choice, I'd prefer my Radio Derby commentator to be more like Sam Matterface on Talksport or Ian Dennis I think it is on Radio Five Live, who commentate on what is happening, rather than what they think should be happening. Would rather hear... "a poor pass from huddlestone is cut out by the Bristol City midfield" than " o and huddestone has given it away slopply again, Derby just aren't doing the basics... craig say something outrageous" sorry got carried away with the end bit there, but hopefully people get what I mean. 

I don't mind if then after the game they summarise in more detail Derby's performance overall, but during it I want to hear whats going on, not moaning, constantly. I think Ed and Craig are maybe even worse than most Derby fans for not being able to accept that this Derby team is not as good, and is not the team from four years ago. 

Unpopular opinion incoming.... I really enjoy the commentary from Radio Derby. I think they all suit each other well

We're quite lucky to have a radio station that is almost entirely (maybe 20% Burton) all about Derby County. We listened to Radio Sheffield on the way back from Bramall Lane the other week and they had: United, Wednesday, Barnsley & Rotherham fans all under one show. 

On a flip side, I was in my mates car at the end of last season and he had Radio Nottingham on. If you think ours is bad, there's is a shambles. Brian Laws was on the commentary team and some of the stuff he was coming out with was so so cringe-worthy and delusional. 

3 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

Unpopular opinion incoming.... I really enjoy the commentary from Radio Derby. I think they all suit each other well

We're quite lucky to have a radio station that is almost entirely (maybe 20% Burton) all about Derby County. We listened to Radio Sheffield on the way back from Bramall Lane the other week and they had: United, Wednesday, Barnsley & Rotherham fans all under one show. 

On a flip side, I was in my mates car at the end of last season and he had Radio Nottingham on. If you think ours is bad, there's is a shambles. Brian Laws was on the commentary team and some of the stuff he was coming out with was so so cringe-worthy and delusional. 

Fully agree. Whenever I listen to other local station's commentaries I appreciate just how good the Radio Derby coverage is. 

When Craig Ramage first appeared, I really didn't warm to him. He just sounded like a slightly dim bloke from Alvaston mouthing of to his mates in the pub. Somehow though, I've come to actually like his input. I like that he appears to give his honest assessment. So often local journalists are so worried about their access to he club that their output becomes insipid. Ramage just says what he thinks, which I like.

I don't get the negativity around Ed Dawes. Now he's always going to struggle a bit because so many of us remember Graham Richards. To me, GR was the best sports commentator that I've ever heard - the man was a genius. Ed Dawes certainly isn't at that level. He is pretty good though - always informative and knowledgeable. I suppose there are two criticisms that could be leveled at him. He's completely partisan and his opinions are always shot through with pro-DCFC bias. He also has this bromance thing going on with Ramage. I can see how both those things could annoy people. They don't annoy me though - in fact, they add to my enjoyment of the commentary.

Owen Bradley is clearly a talented journalist. I like the fact that he's often asked managers the uncomfortable questions that we have all been dying to ask in post match interviews. It's also good fun blaming him when another manager gets sacked. If we get another couple of poor results, Rowett would also be well advised to kidnap Owen's dog. Mangers always get sacked when Bradley walks the pooch.

It's always difficult to have someone else put in control of how you see something so close to you.

We're all passionate enough about Derby to spend our time on here so when you have someone putting across their opinion and you cant respond, it can be really frustrating. What makes it even more difficult is that they have this power over you in that they're the only way you're keeping up to date with the game. It's hard to have a completely steady relationship between the presenters and audience in that situation.

I know that I've been listening to the forums podcast and had to turn it off because David, Alex or Scott (three people I've known for a while now and would consider friends) have been saying some dumb s**** that's annoyed me. It's just a difficult topic to cover because its very rare we all agree on something. I remember people saying we needed to get rid of Martin at the end of 13/14 despite us having the best attack in the league that pivoted around him.

Be remiss if I didn't mention that I think Dawes and Ramage are decent broadcasters to my untrained ear but I don't think they necessarily make the best pairing. They can both be a bit dramatic, which is okay if you've got someone calmer next to you to offset that.

I don't want to contribute to the forum wide Owen Bradley arselick because he single handedly got my beloved Schteve sacked, but he works well as that calm presence. Wish he was more prevalent, clearly very good at his job and is starting to get the recognition he deserves with awards etc.

Last season, Ramsplayer trialled in house audio commentary instead of radio derby for one match.  It was terrible.

I realised how much I appreciated Radio Derby commentary that night. I think they do a good job overall and bring the match experience into my home: frustration and all!

I suspect that sometimes a bad performance means we tend to find everything grates with us a little more: pies and beer at stadium, commentary etc.  On good days, these things matter less!

8 hours ago, AshfieldRam said:

You get what you pay for, so I accept that the standards 'are what they are' on local radio. No problem with Owen Bradley, he obviously has ambitions beyond Radio Derby. 

Graham Richards expressed personal opinions at times and you didn't realise he was doing it, as he did it with immense subtlety and wit. He saved his direct comments for the opposition!!  Also heard he did most of his true ranting when he put the mic down.

We were spoiled, he was a genius. Ross was a good successor. 

I get to over 40 league games a season pretty much, I'm fortunate in that regard. So it's very, very rare I listen to commentary. But whenever I have had the 'pleasure' I've found it very negative, very poor in terms of painting the picture and the opinions of the two men come across all too often. Both Ed and Craig seem to have their favourites and 'non' favourites (don't we all) but I don't believe that's professional in such a role. 

I do though sometimes catch the post match stuff and I like Owen. And I think Craig flourishes more in that environment, giving opinions after the event. He's also not the brightest which can be endearing. Ed I just don't care for. No offence to the man, he just sounds like he hates everything about the job and club. He doesn't seem to enjoy it. I tend not to surround myself with negative people so it's probably not aimed at me really. More for the right here, right now generation. 

Basically Ed & Craig seem to set the tone that every move from the opposition is just about to end in a goal whilst every Derby move is ignored until it ends up in the net. OK that's a bit over the top but you know what I mean. I can't listen to it until we are about 3-0 up otherwise I end up a nervous wreck. When I do eventually watch the game its usually nothing like the picture I was painted.

Archived