The decline of Radio Derby (?)

LazloW

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Basically Ed & Craig seem to set the tone that every move from the opposition is just about to end in a goal whilst every Derby move is ignored until it ends up in the net. OK that's a bit over the top but you know what I mean. I can't listen to it until we are about 3-0 up otherwise I end up a nervous wreck. When I do eventually watch the game its usually nothing like the picture I was painted.

I always find that the previous 3 minutes is what they define the game as until either team is comfortably winning. You could have Derby dominating for 30 minutes and be winning 1-0 then the opposition will have had 2 shots and a corner and a bit of keep ball at the back and Derby are lucky to be still 1-0 and vice versa. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the saying goes, you can only F... with the Pr... you've got....

if the football is boring and depressing then the commentary is, if it's fast and thrilling then so is the commentary 

personally I think they do a great job ok match day and keeping the crap out on the phone in.....and Ramage is great. 

On 18 September 2017 at 18:29, Angry Ram said:

Yeah but you are not comparing apples with apples...

I read that as .....comparing nipples with nipples.

On 9/17/2017 at 11:37, Boycie said:

Was there an apology for Ramage's slip yesterday? I heard it, and Dawes just giggled and joked about it. I turned off at halftime so maybe they did apologise.

I do think it feels like fan commentary at times, which they are to be fair, but they're being paid to do the job and ought to be a little bit more professional, there's probably too much banter for some listeners.

Was that for swearing (that I didn't hear) or the crap joke about stopping over, because there'd been a fatal pile up on the motor way coming out of Bristol??

20 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Was that for swearing (that I didn't hear) or the crap joke about stopping over, because there'd been a fatal pile up on the motor way coming out of Bristol??

He said Bristol S****y then called their Kop, c***.

On 9/17/2017 at 16:10, DRBee said:

Just a minor point   . if its an away game how can we make up our own minds if we can't see for ourselves?

R derby commentary is fine .. have you listened to any other BBC local radio commentaries cos they are usually far worse. ? 

It seems likely that our miserable collapse yesterday justifies some negative description. 

Did you actually listen to it??????no matter how either team played it doesnt justify the so called expert referring to Bristol as Bristol S-----y in my opinion slip of the tongue or not he should not appear again

16 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

Did you actually listen to it??????no matter how either team played it doesnt justify the so called expert referring to Bristol as Bristol S-----y in my opinion slip of the tongue or not he should not appear again

It was even worse when he tried to say " kicking towards the kop" :lol:

I think Radio Derby, like all media, have a responsibility to provide very balanced opinions, as they can impact massively on fan opinion. With fewer fans attending away games often our only in depth feedback is through them.

You can see in recent weeks how some of the less independent fans have been whipped into a frenzy by negative comments.

I don't listen every week, but every time I do, Ramage and whoever seem to be falling out and it seems so unprofessional. I think with all that and his flippant attitude to accidental swears he must be treading a fine line at times.

From someone who's currently studying broadcasting, OB is a fantastic journalist/broadcaster. Ed Dawes is passionate but he needs to start commentating more and less opinions. Craig Ramage, hypercritical at times but at least he'll not sit on the fence. It is a great mix of a broadcasting team, compared to Radio Notts it's awarding winning coverage and I don't think we realise how lucky we are. 

3 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

compared to Radio Notts it's awarding winning coverage and I don't think we realise how lucky we are. 

You don't realise just how lucky you are until you experience the joys of BBC Humberside, I can only compare it to 2 old men discussing supermarket bargain finds whilst waiting for a bus when a passer by asks if they have the time. The time being the actual goal that's just gone in.

I like Radio Derby, one of the lucky ones I guess that enjoys the none professional side to it (Bristol Shitty), have I watched games after that didn't seem as bad as they made out? Of course, but I think again that's the live aspect to it and being genuine Derby fans with their own emotions coming into play.

Watch a game after when you know the result, you're not on the edge of your seat, completely different. Try it, seriously.

I don't want a sterile professional unbiased commentary from local radio, I want screams and random what the hell is he doing's, the fan feel is what makes it better. Just don't hang on to their every word, just 3 Derby fans giving their account of the game.

1 minute ago, David said:

You don't realise just how lucky you are until you experience the joys of BBC Humberside, I can only compare it to 2 old men discussing supermarket bargain finds whilst waiting for a bus when a passer by asks if they have the time. The time being the actual goal that's just gone in.

That is almost the exact same description I used to describe BBC Notts.

Archived