The decline of Radio Derby (?)

LazloW

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

Got to love how everyone is brown nosing OB but slating the other two. Is it because he's on the forum. They work as a team so criticism or praise should be attributed to all three.

Really? So you know that Ed and Craig aren't on the forum do you? Rubbish, I'm pretty sure Owen doesn't write scripts for the others, they are accountable for what comes out of their own mouths, as are we all 

6 pages in before anyone recalls Roger Davies as the, er, analyst.

I too am good at blanking out what I prefer to forget.

If Mr Davies wasn't a paid stooge for DCFC rather than an analyst for Radio Derby, he did a brilliant impression of one.

The only benefit was that the phone-ins were dominated by ingratiating old fogeys wanting him to recall how great a player he was.

That's one problem Ramage doesn't cause.

Radio Derby is fine, for the most part I enjoy it. They could tone down the hysteria a little and the "referee that MUST BE A PENALTY" kind of screeching, but they do what they're there for, which is to bring us the action. 

I don't think Craig Ramage has the finest analytical mind and he tends to jump from opinion to opinion, contradicting himself. Ed Dawes should describe the action and leave the opinion to the summariser .

But overall if it's a choice of having them or not being able to listen to a game, I'd take them every time. 

Don't intend to demean anyone's opinion on this subject, but would this thread be here if we had won yesterday?

It's a local radio station, focused on covering one team. Of course there's going to be a bit more emotion in there than you're used to. A bit of bias. A bit of frustration. That's exactly what makes local radio so good to listen to. 

The biggest issue for me is the endless blather going on and on and on while I wonder why they haven't told us why the ref has stopped the game. Only he hasn't, its just that Ed Dawes likes to tell us about all and sundry around what is going on, but very little of what is actually going on. So on Saturday he was telling us about the cloud formations, and some pylons and other buildings he could see from his vantage poi ....OH!!! RUSSELL HAS TAKEN A HUGE BANG ON THE HEAD!!!! ........... Really? So they've started playing again, have they? Oh! They never stopped. On top of this we have Ramage's interjections about what they would have told us about if Dawes had actually told us about it, but he rants on and on, then suddenly another complete passage of play has taken place which we know nothing about. And on numerous occasions, the most detailed description of play is of the opposition passing the ball man to man to man to man as they threaten our defence.

We do occasionally find out that Derby put together passing moves, but there is far to much blather, opinion and summarising. Tell us what is happening so that we can actually find out how the game is going. Give summaries when play stops, but please commentate on the actual play in front of you.

Thank you. Rant Over.     (for now ............!!!)

37 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

What does everyone expect from a local radio station, the presenters on Radio Derby are there for a reason. 

The previous 3 that have done the job of main commentator have all been better than the current chap at least  in my opinion.

Hate to wade in with my uninformed opinion in this thread littered with broadcasting experts, but I have a hard time complaining about the quality of commentary of a local radio station. Derby isn't a particularly large area, Derby aren't an especially large club, and many clubs don't have the luxury of a BBC local radio station almost entirely devoted to one side.

Of course there are elements that annoy me, but it's a service we're lucky to have and the quality of the programme is pretty solid. You just have to make reasonable adjustments for some of their comments.

I agree with the almost universal praise for Bradley, and that has fa to do with the fact he's on here and everything to do with the fact he's very good at his job. 

I guess its a question of being careful what you hope for

Perhaps a few fans listen to the 606 phone ins 

On sunday there is a presenter called Kelly Cates. Its Kenny dalglish's daughter. Not sure thats relevant though.

Its almost like the Kelly Cates show. She doesn't allow callers to present their own questions , she posers them for them. She hardly allows her expert (Ian Wright)  to get a word in edgeways.  Its all about her. Its appalling.

Compared to that Radio derby is a breath of fresh air

Ed is an immature small child. But Owen and Ramage are great.

Is the Bradley point to do with age? A lot of the older journalists do tend to blather on about nonsense from the 'good old days'.

Have to agree though as a younger person, has his finger on the pulse of what fans are saying on sm and forums.

Just wish all of them would take some risks rather than pussyfooting around during post match interviews of crap games, they all ask the questions everyone wants to know and then once they get in front of someone from the club it's drivel questions

I think the Club feature where our own fans did some commentary shows how tricky it can be - particularly for a flip flopping club like ours.  The top four efforts from supporters - of a screamer from Russell against F*rest nonetheless - had the tonal excitement of a block of cheese.

Very rare I listen match day, other than after the game, as tend to go to most games. When I can I can't bear it and have to wander off constantly, as Dawes is like an hysterical school kid in commentary and his humour befits an adolescent.

Craig has passion but he's not naturally a great radio pundit, he also flips from one extreme to another depending on the score. Owen is getting more polished but then he's becoming a proper radio broadcaster and sports journalist that is fast learning his trade, so he should be better than the other pair.

Someone said for local radio it's not bad, we are lucky to be prime draw not every team has this and I bet radio Suffolk, Norfolk or Nottingham do much better.

As for yesteryear legends, me and my old man were irritated by Richard's he was passionate too but pompous with his dictionary description's. When Hall was side kick it was like Waldorf and Stadler. Fletcher was good, I'd have loved him to stick around as he was developing his trade too; better horizons in Canada deprived us of seeing him fulfill his promise as a sports broadcaster.

End of the day, don't like it don't listen, I don't the moan in much these days, Could always be worse I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Don't intend to demean anyone's opinion on this subject, but would this thread be here if we had won yesterday?

The thread might not have been here but my opinion on the comedy duo Dawes & Ramage would be the same. They think they're reason people are listening!

Archived