What are we in desperate need of?

kyle mccabe

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't read through thread.

Goals. We desperately need to start scoring more goals.

Even against Bolton we struggled with putting chances away. We know Nugent can score.

Weimann, Vydra and Russell just aren't offering us goals. They should be, but for some reason they just can't finish their chances.

So they need to sort that out, then we'll boss it...

What we need to do is stop playing players out of position. 

Weiman / Russell / Vydra are not wingers or wide players. 

Johnson is not a holding midfielder, or a wide midfielder. I'm not sure where he fits in.

Huddlestone is not going to cover the back 4 or make tackles, get some legs beside him to do the dirty work. 

I'm already worried that we will try to play Lawrence in positions he's not accustomed to. 

Look at the squad and find a formation that fits, rather than set a formation and shoehorn the players in. 

1 hour ago, blackNwhites said:

Didn't read through thread.

Goals. We desperately need to start scoring more goals.

Even against Bolton we struggled with putting chances away. We know Nugent can score.

Weimann, Vydra and Russell just aren't offering us goals. They should be, but for some reason they just can't finish their chances.

So they need to sort that out, then we'll boss it...

Well said I've been typing this comment over and over again

We're in need of hope.

Hope that Gary sees what we all see, and doesn't think he can shoehorn players into a system which doesn't suit, and will find a system that does.

I don't mind if that system leaves out our better players, or favourites of mine.

I'd always pick Martin, for instance, and build our side around him, but prior to Sheff Utd I could see why he wasn't playing, and agreed that Nugent was much more suited to the way we'd been playing. 

Once he'd made the change however, our whole mindset needed to change, once Martin's up top the ball needs to be between his chest and his ankle, not head height 50/50 balls, nor balls down the channel to chase. 

The players don't seem to have the ability, or maybe courage, to think on their feet, and it's been a problem for some time.

When Martin got injured vs Bournemouth, we kept playing the same way, even though it was Bent up top, then when he got injured we kept the same tactics but with Russell, which was obviously even less successful, just not his game.

Have the courage of your convictions Gary, play the way you want, and if the current squad can't cope with it move them on, pick less able, but more willing replacements, no point adapting your principles to make the best of the current squad, bend them to your way or accept that the middling performances you'll extract from them will lead to the sack.

41 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

We're in need of hope.

Hope that Gary sees what we all see, and doesn't think he can shoehorn players into a system which doesn't suit, and will find a system that does.

I don't mind if that system leaves out our better players, or favourites of mine.

I'd always pick Martin, for instance, and build our side around him, but prior to Sheff Utd I could see why he wasn't playing, and agreed that Nugent was much more suited to the way we'd been playing. 

Once he'd made the change however, our whole mindset needed to change, once Martin's up top the ball needs to be between his chest and his ankle, not head height 50/50 balls, nor balls down the channel to chase. 

The players don't seem to have the ability, or maybe courage, to think on their feet, and it's been a problem for some time.

When Martin got injured vs Bournemouth, we kept playing the same way, even though it was Bent up top, then when he got injured we kept the same tactics but with Russell, which was obviously even less successful, just not his game.

Have the courage of your convictions Gary, play the way you want, and if the current squad can't cope with it move them on, pick less able, but more willing replacements, no point adapting your principles to make the best of the current squad, bend them to your way or accept that the middling performances you'll extract from them will lead to the sack.

The reason we are seeing the decisions made you quote above is short term success, pressure to get promoted, we almost need a year out and be brave like you say, cant see it until the vision or mindset at the club changes

10 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

What we need to do is stop playing players out of position. 

Weiman / Russell / Vydra are not wingers or wide players. 

Johnson is not a holding midfielder, or a wide midfielder. I'm not sure where he fits in.

Huddlestone is not going to cover the back 4 or make tackles, get some legs beside him to do the dirty work. 

I'm already worried that we will try to play Lawrence in positions he's not accustomed to. 

Look at the squad and find a formation that fits, rather than set a formation and shoehorn the players in. 

Think back, we've been doing this for years. Until we have some joined up thinking from Mel down thro the manager to the woeful scouting/recruiting team it will be so im afraid. For me, its the middle of the park going forward which needs sorting out as i feel those we have across the back and just in front of them should be easily good enough for this league, but pushing forward in that final third has been inconsistent for years,and we need a variety, so we can have a plan b and pick 'horses for courses'.

For me Forsyth not yet match fit so play johnson  left back .

Gr says changes for next game wonder if they are new players because i think we have tried every one else.

I reckon 2 or 3 coming in and 3 going out 

Most probably most of it will be loans

11 minutes ago, valleyram said:

bryson then , no good thinking from rowett to keep him on the bench 

Bryson has been carrying an injury so hasn't been starting - and there's been little indication over the past 2 years that he can get anywhere near his old standards - if we rely on him to 'fix' the problem, I suspect we're doomed to a disappointing season....

Just now, Srg said:

Pace and athleticism in the middle.

Been saying it for like 2 years now... we need athleticism. We have 0 out of any of our midfielders. We need some 6ft unit, who can run, twist and turn.

Wasn't GR saying pretty much the same towards the end of the season? Indicating  (not "promising") more athleticism and dynamism in his team?

Not delivered any discernible increase so far really. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Pace and athleticism in the middle.

Been saying it for like 2 years now... we need athleticism. We have 0 out of any of our midfielders. We need some 6ft unit, who can run, twist and turn.

What's bad is that energy in the midfield was one of our real strengths in 13/14 and 14/15 with hendrick, Bryson and Hughes all very capable at buzzing about the park. Every transfer dealings we've had since then has served us to become increasingly immobile buying the likes of Johnson, Butterfield and Huddlestone and selling off Hendrick and Hughes.

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Wasn't GR saying pretty much the same towards the end of the season? Indicating  (not "promising") more athleticism and dynamism in his team?

Not delivered any discernible increase so far really. 

It's something that truly concerns me with Rowett, a few times now he's said one thing and done another

Archived