What are we in desperate need of?

kyle mccabe

37 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Wasn't GR saying pretty much the same towards the end of the season? Indicating  (not "promising") more athleticism and dynamism in his team?

Not delivered any discernible increase so far really. 

thats the problem with him , he says one thing and does another and if we are noticing that then surely the players are 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, valleyram said:

thats the problem with him , he says one thing and does another and if we are noticing that then surely the players are 

Quite right. Difficult balancing act.

He can't be too publicly dismissive of the players he doesn't want or he'll only get derisory offers.

But if he keeps playing them when they suspect that they have no future then we'll get more lacklustre performances. 

He's got a tough job there. He should stop making things harder for himself by making statements that sound like commitments he can be held to account for.

4 hours ago, jagerbob said:

I think Vydra is paramount to our current system and I agree with GR its the best system.

I dont see where Bryson fits in to be honest, except as a sub later in the game.

Vydra has got a lot to prove as has GR's 'system' - which we were lead to believe would be dependent on the opposition.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Vydra has got a lot to prove as has GR's 'system' - which we were lead to believe would be dependent on the opposition.

I agree that Vydra and all the forwards have a lot to prove if we are to persist with this system. There were good breaks in the first half at Sheffield but we didn't make the most of them. 

If this system is to work our forwards have to be effective - and ruthless. They aren't as yet. 

I know Nugent scored two against Bolton but he didn’t really get going on Saturday; Vydra has missed several good chances over the opening games from open play; Russell is having a 'mare as we all know; Lawrence is trying too hard (but improving.) 

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Quite right. Difficult balancing act.

He can't be too publicly dismissive of the players he doesn't want or he'll only get derisory offers.

But if he keeps playing them when they suspect that they have no future then we'll get more lacklustre performances. 

He's got a tough job there. He should stop making things harder for himself by making statements that sound like commitments he can be held to account for.

He has to try and get something from some of them because nobody in their right mind would be mad enough to match the salaries of some of them at the moment, let alone pay a fee. The ones Rowett wants gone would be the biggest earner and the worst player in about half of the Championship sides on current form.

58 minutes ago, angieram said:

If this system is to work our forwards have to be effective - and ruthless. They aren't as yet. 

I know Nugent scored two against Bolton but he didn’t really get going on Saturday;

I could have scored Nuge's two. I think we have a couple of quality strikers in Nuge and Chrissy but so far GR is only utilising one of them even vaguely well. Vydra still has to make a real mark. But for me the lack comes from the quality of support, can't believe we're going to spend all season having Huddz lob balls up front to be chased?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I could have scored Nuge's two. I think we have a couple of quality strikers in Nuge and Chrissy but so far GR is only utilising one of them even vaguely well. Vydra still has to make a real mark. But for me the lack comes from the quality of support, can't believe we're going to spend all season having Huddz lob balls up front to be chased?

Nugent makes it look easy because he gets in the right sort of positions but I know what you mean.

I agree about the quality of pass - even with a quarter fit George Thorne on Friday it was the incisive passing on the deck that was so wonderful to see again.

I think Huddlestone's Hollywood passes will suit Lawrence when he settles in but it will be George that brings Martin back into contention. 

At the moment we are still short of options because of current personnel but it will get better as Lawrence will fit in, I am sure. 

I would also like to see some younger options on the bench for when we are needing to chase the game. 

Must say im not a Vidra fan,he tried and tried but got worse and worse.Same for the whole team realy .Nuge and Davis excepted.

Seems every game emphasises the fact we,re without our two most creative players.I realy dont know what GR is about,and what he sees in some players that i cant.Whatever,it seems same old every game,no confidence,no flair no commitment.

Feel like we,re just treading water for now,realy hope theres a top class CM in the offing.

Archived