Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, cannable said:

It’s all dependent on context though.

Shackell was immense in the Clough team because we didn’t play it religiously from the back and he suited the last ten minutes under siege Clough wanted when winning. 

Whereas Bucko was only ever an average defender who loved a physical battle and was roasted for pace.

In the McClaren and Clement teams Shacks was awful because he had to take a touch and stop the ball dead every time it came to him, killing our fluency and it proved to be the Achilles Heel that Clement never solved. 

Whereas I’ve never seen a centre-half with the two footed range of passing as I have Bucko. He could hit sweeping cross-field diagonals, right or left footed, for fun which in turn made it nigh on impossible for teams to stop us. 

Oh Shackell under Clement. My God what an awful awful player.

Takes the ball, takes another touch, feints a long ball, takes another touch, another look up, one more touch aaaaannnnnd a 10 yard sideways pass crawls to someone now under pressure when everyone is marked up.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Takes the ball, takes another touch, feints a long ball, takes another touch, another look up, one more touch aaaaannnnnd a 10 yard sideways pass crawls to someone now under pressure when everyone is marked up.

His only trick was to carry it ten yards and reverse it to George.

Once every other game he managed this I’d say.

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

He also only signed two over 30 - with two who are actually 30. No doubt the squad is a bit on the vintage side but the blame for that does not fall all at one man's feet.

achually 4 jerome ledley huddlestone and davies which is quite alot tbh 

54 minutes ago, cannable said:

It’s all dependent on context though.

Shackell was immense in the Clough team because we didn’t play it religiously from the back and he suited the last ten minutes under siege Clough wanted when winning. 

Whereas Bucko was only ever an average defender who loved a physical battle and was roasted for pace.

In the McClaren and Clement teams Shacks was awful because he had to take a touch and stop the ball dead every time it came to him, killing our fluency and it proved to be the Achilles Heel that Clement never solved. 

Whereas I’ve never seen a centre-half with the two footed range of passing as I have Bucko. He could hit sweeping cross-field diagonals, right or left footed, for fun which in turn made it nigh on impossible for teams to stop us. 

Shackell is a great one to point to with where we wrong in that window. We signed several players that weren't bad players but just blatently didn't fit what Clement's style of play and I think this is what probably what ultimately caused his downfall.

Players such as Shackell, Weimann and Johnson should have been nowhere near a side looking to dominate possession. 

2 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Was at a corporate "do" at Wembley c 1990 or 1991 against Brazil, and Kevin Keegan made the same judgement.

Coincidentally, and unknown to each other, a handful of DCFC fans were also listening to the benefit of his experience, and he soon realised that his judgement of central defenders was being very seriously questioned!

Toddy was good, but not quite that good.

Toshack would have said Roy Mac. 

1) Rowett's season in charge could ultimately set us back quite a distance. He failed to address a number of problems with the squad because he only cared about short term results that would look good for his CV. 

2) If we get the next appointment wrong we could well be in the championship for a long long time.

3) But if we get it right and allow the new manager a season or two to transition. We'll be better prepared to make a promotion than we have been the last couple of seasons.

17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Whilst I agree that shackell was terrible on the ball, it didn’t help that our entire left side were incompetent on the ball too. Shackell, Forsyth/Warnock, Johnson and Russell/Weimann was a recipe for disaster. 

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But he was still fantastic defensively that season, and if I remember correctly was a candidate for our player of the season. Awful passer, perhaps. Awful player, not a chance, only Davies has topped him as a defender in the last decade (tho this is a considerable margin, no one is close to Davies). There was a reason we stopped shipping so many goals that season, and it’s because we replaced Buxton with someone who could actually read the game and anticipate the opposition. That’s something Keogh struggles with as well, which is why he looks far better with the likes of Shackell and Davies next to him, they allow him to focus on his strengths (distribution being one) without having to worry his partner will go walkabouts.

In an ideal world you’d have two centre backs who can pass and defend, but that’s often hard to find. Better to have one of each than two of one, like we had with Buxton and Keogh. That’s why we had a much better defensive unit under clement. Obviously with the way he wanted to play it then brought Shackells issues to the fore, but it was still better than we were before. Obviously we now have Davies who can defend and is competent at passing so we’re in a far better place, but the discrediting of Shackell is wrong imo.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

But he was still fantastic defensively that season, and if I remember correctly was a candidate for our player of the season. Awful passer, perhaps. Awful player, not a chance, only Davies has topped him as a defender in the last decade (tho this is a considerable margin, no one is close to Davies). There was a reason we stopped shipping so many goals that season, and it’s because we replaced Buxton with someone who could actually read the game and anticipate the opposition. That’s something Keogh struggles with as well, which is why he looks far better with the likes of Shackell and Davies next to him, they allow him to focus on his strengths (distribution being one) without having to worry his partner will go walkabouts.

In an ideal world you’d have two centre backs who can pass and defend, but that’s often hard to find. Better to have one of each than two of one, like we had with Buxton and Keogh. That’s why we had a much better defensive unit under clement. Obviously with the way he wanted to play it then brought Shackells issues to the fore, but it was still better than we were before. Obviously we now have Davies who can defend and is competent at passing so we’re in a far better place, but the discrediting of Shackell is wrong imo.

We conceded less goals per minute under McClaren with Bucko playing than when Shackell was playing in 15/16

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

We conceded less goals per minute under McClaren with Bucko playing than when Shackell was playing in 15/16

That’s because clement fell apart and we didn’t win a game for all of two months, if Buxton was fit in mcclarens collapse the comparison would be different. Shackell was key in the initial turn around from that collapse and deserves credit in that run up to the top 2

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s because clement fell apart and we didn’t win a game for all of two months, if Buxton was fit in mcclarens collapse the comparison would be different. Shackell was key in the initial turn around from that collapse and deserves credit in that run up to the top 2

Hang on a minute… Bucko got us up to first and the McClaren collapse was, in part, DUE to him being injured… the Clement collapse was, in part, DUE to Shackell being crap on the ball… the comparison would be different because the events themselves would be different? 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Hang on a minute… Bucko got us up to first and the McClaren collapse was, in part, DUE to him being injured… the Clement collapse was, in part, DUE to Shackell being crap on the ball… the comparison would be different because the events themselves would be different? 

That’s only opinion though... it’s my opinion the collapse was far more to do with the injuries to Thorne and mascarell in 14/15 as it exposed the defensive weaknesses within our team, that would have happened with Buxton there or not. Whereas I’d argue that collapse under clement was more to do with our luck drying out and we were no longer scoring the odd screamer to win a game, shackells distribution had always been there even on our good run. In effect that is my unpopular opinion.

57 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

achually 4 jerome ledley huddlestone and davies which is quite alot tbh 

Huddlestone and Ledley were both 30 when signed. I do broadly agree, too many old 'uns, but I do love it when I'm right ?

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Huddlestone and Ledley were both 30 when signed. I do broadly agree, too many old 'uns, but I do love it when I'm right ?

i said under 30s so we are both right tbf so im playing rowetts game i will settle for a draw ? ?

Archived