• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

With respect Kyle, that is not the issue in my opinion

With Martin, Vydra, Nugent, Wiemann, Russell, we will score goals

If we get the ball to them

That is the issue 

Weimann and Russell won't manage to hit double figures like ince did though, but I can see what you're saying about getting the ball to them, I'd expect Russell at least to be able to create things like he did in 2014 his link up with Martin was quality back then 

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The big question I guess is:

Would we rather over-spend in the hopes of getting a player who could hopefully be Ince's proper replacement

OR

Would we rather get an okayish squad player for the 'right' money

Excellent point. With out recent purchases in mind as well, some unsuccessful signings may edge us towards playing safe. As many others have pointed out though, any attacking player of quality now is going to come with a hefty price tag and to an extent, any signing is a risk so personally, I'd gamble

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Excellent point. With out recent purchases in mind as well, some unsuccessful signings may edge us towards playing safe. As many others have pointed out though, any attacking player of quality now is going to come with a hefty price tag and to an extent, any signing is a risk so personally, I'd gamble

Me too - I'm not convinced that Lawrence is worth the gamble but I am more convinced that spending £5m+ on Adams would be a waste

We need a player who is better than Russell - If not as good as Ince

If we get to the 28th without getting a top end player for a decent price I'd just throw some silly money at Brentford for Jota

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Ive always thought a good gauge of how good a player is judging how highly the fans of that club rate him. Have a look on Birmingham messageboards and twitter to see the reaction of their fans. You won't find a bad word about Adams and all would be devestated to see him go. They rate him in the 10m+ bracket.

Get him signed Gaz!

If that's the case then heaven help any fan from a club who show interest in signing Keogh, Pearce, Olsson, Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Weimann, Martin, Bennett, Russell, Anya, Bryson or Vydra - they'd be totally flummoxed looking through this forum as an indicator.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If that's the case then heaven help any fan from a club who show interest in signing Keogh, Pearce, Olsson, Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Weimann, Martin, Bennett, Russell, Anya, Bryson or Vydra - they'd be totally flummoxed looking through this forum as an indicator.

Bunch of bottlers :ph34r:

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

I wouldn't even be against Adams coming in. He's a young, promising player and I trust Rowett's judgement, just casually observing that maybe we have not be able to get the calibre of player we were aiming for (for whatever reason) and whether therefore it's money well spent if whoever comes in is only marginally going to improve what we already have; or whether spending more money to get a real upgrade would be wiser?

I'm not even sure of the answer myself, just pondering :)

Doubt very much if anyone who is marginally better than what we have would make enough of a difference to get us over the line. We need one, maybe two players who would be nailed-on starters ahead of what we currently have - otherwise don't waste more money.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Doubt very much if anyone who is marginally better than what we have would make enough of a difference to get us over the line. We need one, maybe two players who would be nailed-on starters ahead of what we currently have - otherwise don't waste more money.

Absolutely right. We have some good players that a lot of other clubs would love.

We need one good attacking forward and a mobile midfield player who can pass and move.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

What was the general consensus on here about the value of Hughes and Ince? I think we finally talked ourselves down from around £15m?

We all have our opinions but (as far as I'm aware) no-one on here is a professional football manager - None of us watch the players in training every day - None of us have the benefit of years in the game and proper coaching/training to know what to look for - None of us have access to the analytics and data which modern managers have

On top of that - A player's fans will rave about him based on their level - Sandro Semedo was very highly thought of by Leighton Orient fans - Yet his trial for our u23s doesn't seem to have gone anywhere - Adams may well be a very good player for a team who barely avoided (arguably shouldn't have) relegation last season - If that's what we needed let's go get Jamie Ward back

There's Football Manager - that's enough to make some think they know all about the professional game.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Absolutely right. We have some good players that a lot of other clubs would love.

We need one good attacking forward and a mobile midfield player who can pass and move.

Tom Ince  fits that role  err hold on we sold him

If SDSR says we enquired about Adams a month ago, that implies to me that it isn't a panic buy. It implies that maybe we're willing to pay slightly more after missing out on a few of our other targets, but not that it's a panic buy, since clearly he was previously a target who we didn't deem to be of sufficient quality to be worth the value paid. However, due to missing out on other targets clearly now if this is to be believed we think that has rendered Adams worth the money we were quoted at.

If I was to hazard a guess it'd be around the 5 million mark, which seems ludicrous, however that's the nature of the market we're operating in. I don't know much about Adams, however I'd imagine Rowett has seen him in training, knows about the type of character he is, how he trains etc, and so I believe that we should trust Rowett on this one. He clearly believes that Adams can improve us, and whilst I'd have liked to see Lawrence, if that isn't possible, so be it. 

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

If the deal involved some kind of swap with Russell who Birmingham courted before what would the forum think? 

Nah I'd rather keep Russell but I'd be very happy If it's Blackman to there though. 

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If the deal involved some kind of swap with Russell who Birmingham courted before what would the forum think? 

I'd be happy enough, Adams is at least as good as Russell with potential to be much better. There's no indication we're looking at getting rid of Russell tho, in fact I think rowett sees him as an important player so I'd be surprised.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If SDSR says we enquired about Adams a month ago, that implies to me that it isn't a panic buy. It implies that maybe we're willing to pay slightly more after missing out on a few of our other targets, but not that it's a panic buy, since clearly he was previously a target who we didn't deem to be of sufficient quality to be worth the value paid. However, due to missing out on other targets clearly now if this is to be believed we think that has rendered Adams worth the money we were quoted at.

If he wasn't deemed to be of a sufficient quality a month ago then he still isn't of a sufficient quality now. 

Archived