Which teams do you like (and why)?

Hermanshire

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fulham. Less so recently but mostly because of how badly they were run for a brief period really made a mockery of them and I wanted them to fail so that their ownership changed tact. 

I couldn't get into football as a kid, I remember going to one Derby match when I was eight and another when Junior/Ian Tylor and Co were playing, I remember seeing one of Huddlestone's first games and Osman playing for us. I enjoyed it but football as an idea didn't stick with me. 

I watched match of the day and liked Manchester United literally just because of Scholes, I'd be very young though. I learned about football through MOTD so the new season was like Christmas with three new teams to get to know. I was also doing classic football stickers thing at school though I was an idiot so didn't know who I had it who was worth anything, I still remember giving away a Chris Riggot for three Rigobert Songs. Not sure why I wanted three of him but it seemed a good deal at the time.

I've no idea why they stuck with me as they did but after seeing them as a brand new team with all these interesting players, the kit, the cheery faces in the stickers (I still remember them, all looking deliriously happy with their pizza hut kits) and they came up and surprised everyone. Those were the days of Saha, Van Der Sar, Luis Boa Morte, Steed Malbranque, Sylvain Legwinski, a young (and actually decent) Zat Knight and who can forget, the legend that is Barry Hayles, a man who lived in a caravan to play for/manage Truro City in recent years. 

Something about Fulham stuck with me, not to mention the ground which I maintain is one of the best in the country, I love old school grounds (I won't blame the ground itself for the neutral section). I followed them for years, even supported them as a Heathen against Derby in a cup game. I naturally switched to Derby over time when I grew older and actually started going to matches but kid me loved those Fulham years, actively following a team. If I was born a little earlier I'm sure I'd have latched onto Derby but with only MOTD/Premier League stickers  to go on I took to Fulham. 

I will go to the away game this year, funds stopped me last year. I may even go down to a random game myself just for fun. It's a bit different now we're in the same league but if either one moves up and out of competition I'll likely see Fulham a little more where I'm able.

@David views this as blasphemy but without Fulham I might not be as football mad as I am today. "We all dream of a team of Rufus Brevett, a team of Rufus Brevett..." 

Athletic Bilbao - I love the idea of being so stubborn that you flat out refuse to sign anyone from outside your local region. The fact that they are able remain competitive whilst drawing from a talent pool of only 3,000,000 is insane.

Sheffield United they are a "proper" football club...remind me of Derby, awesome ground, great fans and without question the best football song anthem ever......like a greasy chip butty...

Leeds...I just liked their title winning side

Rangers....because why would anyone like Celtic?

Juve.....I went to see them a bunch in the 90's along with Palermo, Milan and Roma

FC United....Just love what they have done

Tampa Bay Rowdies...they are my home town club now

FC Basel...They used to be my hometown club

Portsmouth....Because I hated Southampton

Millwall...Just to prove to them that someone does like them

Think that about it....wow I have a lot of love to share around...

16 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Sheffield United they are a "proper" football club...remind me of Derby, awesome ground, great fans and without question the best football song anthem ever......like a greasy chip butty...

Leeds...I just liked their title winning side

Rangers....because why would anyone like Celtic?

Juve.....I went to see them a bunch in the 90's along with Palermo, Milan and Roma

FC United....Just love what they have done

Tampa Bay Rowdies...they are my home town club now

FC Basel...They used to be my hometown club

Portsmouth....Because I hated Southampton

Millwall...Just to prove to them that someone does like them

Think that about it....wow I have a lot of love to share around...

LEEDS!!!! Bleeeeedin LEEDS!! Mods...please was his mouth out at least 5 times and give him a severe warning....:D:(

Theres lads on this forum ( mainly from Uttoxter) had to fight battles to give us our modern football freedom. Usually with Leeds.... 

AFC Wimbledon, just because of the history. Also why I hate MK 

Rangers because my Grandads team (From near Glasgow)

Sheffield United, proper team, nice ground, all round like them.

Mansfield Town and Alfreton town, Mansfield bc I was born there and Alfreton bc the local team to me.

Also not strictly on topic but despite being born and raised in England I support the Scottish team (Live with my Grandad who's Scottish and it's rubbed off onto me)

:thumbsup:

Hartlepool United

Had grandparents who lived in Billingham and Stockton

Used to occasionally go to watch them - would have been the late 70s when I was a in my mid teens  

It was astonishing . You could walk around the whole ground during the match.

And at half time most of the crowd moved from behind the goal at  one end to the other 

Remember asking a local, who had a radio,  what the score was at half time for Rams v Man City . "Durrby Coonty ? Who's they ?"

Took my twin sister once at that time. Never forgiven me since. No where for the ladies to go for a wee in the whole ground.

Shame to see them where they are now 

A.c. Milan - from the football Italia days on channel 4 

Rangers - They were my Scottish club , everyone had one when Scottish football meant something , used to love Marco Negri 

Alfreton - Geological reasons , make the odd game if there's no Rams action 

38 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

LEEDS!!!! Bleeeeedin LEEDS!! Mods...please was his mouth out at least 5 times and give him a severe warning....:D:(

Theres lads on this forum ( mainly from Uttoxter) had to fight battles to give us our modern football freedom. Usually with Leeds.... 

I'm humming the dambusters theme as I type...

Always had a thing for Liverpool, probably due to John Barnes being one of my early football idols. Derby vs Liverpool was the first match I went to as a kid and apparently I was cheering for Barnes for most of the game. :whistle:

The tradition continued as I bought the Liverpool Subbuteo set with my pocket money - the white/green/black striped away kit (93-95 - one of the all three me great football kits IMHO) - and pitted them against the also white shirts of Derby County. :pinch:

In more recent years I always enjoyed playing as Liverpool on Pro Evo, with the likes of Gerrard, Luis Garcia and Riiiissseee(!) spanking them in from range. Their setup suited my limited ability on the PS2. :D

All that, plus over the years they've been associated with some great names, from the likes of Barnes, Fowler, McManaman, etc.. I've always kinda liked them and wanted them to do well - I was already a big fan of Klopp's character before he joined. :wub:

Unfortunately though, I can't f*****g stand their fans. So all in all, a mixed emotional bag. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Nobody but Derby in club football, I couldn't give a **** about any other team.

When watching a game as a neutral will generally hope the team playing the more attractive/attacking football wins. 

Although a dogged defensive display deserves respect too.

Archived