Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

2.4 m what a great piece of business when you see the price some very average players go for today bargain !!!!!! 

Yeah Butterfield, Johnson, Anya,  etc.

At least we have cut the excessive fees out. Problem is we'll need a new squad in two years time. 

11 hours ago, zaragozaram said:

I might let my hate of Tottenham subside a little after this. Can we sign Rasiak bask so I can let it go completely?

Seeing this, I couldn't remember what Rasiak got up to post Derby so looked him up on Wikipedia. I find this section a little bizarre: 

In the 2006–07 season he had a strong start, scoring 17 league goals by mid-January, with a further two goals in the FA Cup. This included four braces in the league and one in the FA Cup, all in away matches. After mid-January he lost his place in the starting eleven to fellow countryman Marek Saganowski

Even if a players out of form, there'd be a complete meltdown if a player who scored 17 in half a season wasn't starting :lol:

(I checked, Saganowski didnt do much either)

15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Seeing this, I couldn't remember what Rasiak got up to post Derby so looked him up on Wikipedia. I find this section a little bizarre: 

Even if a players out of form, there'd be a complete meltdown if a player who scored 17 in half a season wasn't starting :lol:

(I checked, Saganowski didnt do much either)

The way I remember it Saganowski was awesome when he first went to Southampton.

9 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

The way I remember it Saganowski was awesome when he first went to Southampton.

Yeah, you're right looking at it. Was his loan half-season. 10 in 13. 

Should have just played them together!

not a bad deal in all said hes a bit old but that shows with the price we are paying.he as done well in the past and has experiance and can be a great swap for thorne. i do think now thorne will be more 2nd in line now due to past injurys, not is fault just the way things fall. theres the other way to look at it we have shacks and thorn really not fit enough for regular first team, should they be paid off ? . we have let past players get there fitness back but ended up releasing them .in all do like the sighning we have done not at great exspence either.release more ready for more incomings well done gr and scouting staff.

2 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Vydra has offered nothing as a 10 so far, disappears every time. 

Have to say I completely disagree with this. When Vydra played in the hole behind Nugent for 3/4 games last season he looked very lively, scored a couple of goals in those games as well I believe.

Rowett then changed formation back to the 4-3-3 and Vydra didn't get a look in again, the reason he swapped back in not so sure, I can only think that he'd seen enough and wanted to see what others could do.

like another poster has said, Vydra behind Martin could be very dangerous IMO. If the pre season games have showed one thing so far it's that the 4-2-3-1 works far better with Martin up top, we find it so much easier to transition from defence to attack with a striker to play off.

Gone completely off topic here. Huddlestone is a good signing, wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed by it, when he's played against us in recent seasons he hadn't exactly stood out as a cut above the rest but not all players in a team have to be standout players. The players that go about their business under the radar and don't stand out can some times make the biggest impact.

2 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Have to say I completely disagree with this. When Vydra played in the hole behind Nugent for 3/4 games last season he looked very lively, scored a couple of goals in those games as well I believe.

Rowett then changed formation back to the 4-3-3 and Vydra didn't get a look in again, the reason he swapped back in not so sure, I can only think that he'd seen enough and wanted to see what others could do.

like another poster has said, Vydra behind Martin could be very dangerous IMO. If the pre season games have showed one thing so far it's that the 4-2-3-1 works far better with Martin up top, we find it so much easier to transition from defence to attack with a striker to play off.

Gone completely off topic here. Huddlestone is a good signing, wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed by it, when he's played against us in recent seasons he hadn't exactly stood out as a cut above the rest but not all players in a team have to be standout players. The players that go about their business under the radar and don't stand out can some times make the biggest impact.

I really hope it's true with vydra because I've still seen nothing whatsoever to justify his cost other than a couple of scrappy goals in the few games he played behind Nugent.....now if that is how GR is planning to utilise him and regularly go for that formation,then fine,we may see an improvement but if not,i can't see a future for him here.

According to Rowett Hull were offering him more money than us and he turned it down to come here. 

Kills off the, "ex premier league footballer looking for one last payday" excuse that some will no doubt criticise Rowett for

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I really hope it's true with vydra because I've still seen nothing whatsoever to justify his cost other than a couple of scrappy goals in the few games he played behind Nugent.....now if that is how GR is planning to utilise him and regularly go for that formation,then fine,we may see an improvement but if not,i can't see a future for him here.

Whilst I see potential in him playing behind the striker, I doubt myself wether hel ever justify his cost. We overpaid by around £4m if I'm honest, they really had our pants down. The signings this summer prove just how reckless we've been in past transfer windows.

A defensive spine of Carson, Keogh, Davies and Huddlestone is so, so strong. Add in Forsyth and Wisdom and I'd be very disappointed if we weren't up there in terms of fewest goals conceded this season.

Just need to make one or two more additions further up the pitch, cut some of the deadwood (if only it were that easy) and we're looking really good. I'm excited.

43 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Whilst I see potential in him playing behind the striker, I doubt myself wether hel ever justify his cost. We overpaid by around £4m if I'm honest, they really had our pants down. The signings this summer prove just how reckless we've been in past transfer windows.

Or,we can adopt a positive attitude for a change and say that our transfer strategy seems more professional now!

I've been under self imposed transfer window purdah due to the bullshit that flies around at this time.

Huddlestone will be the best passer of a football in the division this season. No question. At the money, great signing.

Davies and Wisdom no doubt add to our defensive resilience. Which, with Fozzy and Thorne back and if we can hang on to Keogh, looks robust.

We've got Chris Martin, and the very able David Nugent, the workrate, busyness and proven Championship quality of Bryson and Russell - that busy type of player will be vital with big Tom sitting there in front of the defence.

Then we've got a hotchpotch of meh. Decent players in some regards who are short in others. If this squad is going to seriously threaten the top 2 we'll need a material advance on Johnson/Weimann/Blackman/Bent/Butterfield/Anya/Vydra in that attacking 3 behind Martin and alongside Tom/Thorne. (I'm assuming 4231 this term). The two players who could unpick teams have been sold. We need to replace that quality.

Jota is that player, but I'm pretty sure we won't get him. Tom Lawrence might be that, I'm not convinced. Matty James would be a big addition, but again I'm not convinced we'll get him.

There's time, and the quality of signings so far has been sound, but the biggest issues still remain.

5 minutes ago, needles said:

I've been under self imposed transfer window purdah due to the bullshit that flies around at this time.

Huddlestone will be the best passer of a football in the division this season. No question. At the money, great signing.

Davies and Wisdom no doubt add to our defensive resilience. Which, with Fozzy and Thorne back and if we can hang on to Keogh, looks robust.

We've got Chris Martin, and the very able David Nugent, the workrate, busyness and proven Championship quality of Bryson and Russell - that busy type of player will be vital with big Tom sitting there in front of the defence.

Then we've got a hotchpotch of meh. Decent players in some regards who are short in others. If this squad is going to seriously threaten the top 2 we'll need a material advance on Johnson/Weimann/Blackman/Bent/Butterfield/Anya/Vydra in that attacking 3 behind Martin and alongside Tom/Thorne. (I'm assuming 4231 this term). The two players who could unpick teams have been sold. We need to replace that quality.

Jota is that player, but I'm pretty sure we won't get him. Tom Lawrence might be that, I'm not convinced. Matty James would be a big addition, but again I'm not convinced we'll get him.

There's time, and the quality of signings so far has been sound, but the biggest issues still remain.

Think you are being a bit hard on Johnson etc. They would walk into most teams. I dont think we need a lot just to have a fast and tricky winger

7 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Think you are being a bit hard on Johnson etc. They would walk into most teams. I dont think we need a lot just to have a fast and tricky winger

They've never consistently performed in a Derby shirt, with the exception of Bent, who's an out and out poacher.

Johnson's passing, at times, is abysmal. Love his defensive work in the air shielding the centre-backs, love his shooting, love his physicality. He could do a job, as could all of them, but we need that extra quality.

18 minutes ago, needles said:

They've never consistently performed in a Derby shirt, with the exception of Bent, who's an out and out poacher.

Johnson's passing, at time, is abysmal.

At times ? Johnson's passing is frequently abysmal, sometimes just a bit poor and very occasionally acceptable.

38 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

At times ? Johnson's passing is frequently abysmal, sometimes just a bit poor and very occasionally acceptable.

Absolutely. Makes you wonder really...he got out of gaol big time yesterday with that goal after what can only be described as a schoolboy pass to the opposition defender who was standing 10 yards away...

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. Makes you wonder really...he got out of gaol big time yesterday with that goal after what can only be described as a schoolboy pass to the opposition defender who was standing 10 yards away...

Pretty sure he was just playing a 1 2 with the guy to set up the shot...

Archived