Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

3 hours ago, needles said:

I've been under self imposed transfer window purdah due to the bullshit that flies around at this time.

Huddlestone will be the best passer of a football in the division this season. No question. At the money, great signing.

Davies and Wisdom no doubt add to our defensive resilience. Which, with Fozzy and Thorne back and if we can hang on to Keogh, looks robust.

We've got Chris Martin, and the very able David Nugent, the workrate, busyness and proven Championship quality of Bryson and Russell - that busy type of player will be vital with big Tom sitting there in front of the defence.

Then we've got a hotchpotch of meh. Decent players in some regards who are short in others. If this squad is going to seriously threaten the top 2 we'll need a material advance on Johnson/Weimann/Blackman/Bent/Butterfield/Anya/Vydra in that attacking 3 behind Martin and alongside Tom/Thorne. (I'm assuming 4231 this term). The two players who could unpick teams have been sold. We need to replace that quality.

Jota is that player, but I'm pretty sure we won't get him. Tom Lawrence might be that, I'm not convinced. Matty James would be a big addition, but again I'm not convinced we'll get him.

There's time, and the quality of signings so far has been sound, but the biggest issues still remain.

Pretty much agree with all of that, especially the Russell and Bryson bits but I hope Vydra can link into martin's brainwave and do very well

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Have to say I completely disagree with this. When Vydra played in the hole behind Nugent for 3/4 games last season he looked very lively, scored a couple of goals in those games as well I believe.

Rowett then changed formation back to the 4-3-3 and Vydra didn't get a look in again, the reason he swapped back in not so sure, I can only think that he'd seen enough and wanted to see what others could do.

like another poster has said, Vydra behind Martin could be very dangerous IMO. If the pre season games have showed one thing so far it's that the 4-2-3-1 works far better with Martin up top, we find it so much easier to transition from defence to attack with a striker to play off.

Gone completely off topic here. Huddlestone is a good signing, wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed by it, when he's played against us in recent seasons he hadn't exactly stood out as a cut above the rest but not all players in a team have to be standout players. The players that go about their business under the radar and don't stand out can some times make the biggest impact.

I hope you prove me wrong because I really want Vydra to catch fire for us. 

9 hours ago, curtains said:

Any player can get injured at any time. 

Take Will and Bryso in the Clement era. 

Of course they can. My point is that right now, Hudds is the fittest between the two. 

My guess is that Thorne wont be out for 7-10 days, he will be out and won't start the season. We can't keep carrying a player like that. 

Good signing. It is difficult to see how the midfield will shape up with the existing players.It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson were shipped out and another holding midfielder was brought in such as Leadbitter. I would imagine two of the six strikers will be moved on and at least one quality winger brought in. I find it comforting that Rowett identified 10 targets. Assuming we have signed three i wonder who the other seven are?

Very good signing.  Always rated him, and was gutted when Spurs had our pants down all those years ago.

My only reservation is that with him and Thorne in the base of a 2-3 midfield, there's not a lot of mobility there.  I can only assume that it'll be one or the other with Bryson or Johnson doing the running. An assumption of course...

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, AlfretonRam84 said:

What is it with Derby and signing very good players from Hull? Just some coincidence? Either way him and CD are great additions to the team.

And Ince was too. They must be pretty naffed off with Derby right now.

PistoldPete2
10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It isn't really.

Hud is looking a lot fitter than when he was here.. but Thorne has been trying hard to get his fitness back. Would be nice to have them both back, could play either or both. 

13 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Hud is looking a lot fitter than when he was here.. but Thorne has been trying hard to get his fitness back. Would be nice to have them both back, could play either or both. 

I thought this too. From the photos of his time before and now he looks fitter and more trim now.

It's a no from me. He was slow 12 years ago. Goes against what GR was initially trying to achieve with young fast hungry players. Would rather see Timi elsnick or others given a go. 

Sold him for £800k his best years elsewhere. Buy him back for 2mill. 

Still need to shift some out too. Let's hope he finally scores 15 years after his debut. 

Nevertheless, good luck Tom. Welcome back. Hope you prove to be the right signing. If we go up this season it will have been worth it. 

9 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Can't say I remember much about Tom being in a Derby shirt,

However in recent years he has played in the champions league, europa league, and many premier league games. His signature can only be a positive impact. 

I remember him being as wide as he was tall, so everyone kept playing him centre back, and he was pretty terrible at it. This was the time before defensive midfielders were a given.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

I remember him being as wide as he was tall, so everyone kept playing him centre back, and he was pretty terrible at it. This was the time before defensive midfielders were a given.

I don't agree about him being awful - He never looked out of place at CB - He just looked better in midfield

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

It's a no from me. He was slow 12 years ago. Goes against what GR was initially trying to achieve with young fast hungry players. Would rather see Timi elsnick or others given a go. 

Sold him for £800k his best years elsewhere. Buy him back for 2mill. 

Still need to shift some out too. Let's hope he finally scores 15 years after his debut. 

Nevertheless, good luck Tom. Welcome back. Hope you prove to be the right signing. If we go up this season it will have been worth it. 

I think it iswrong to look at the figures in that way, we sold him way too cheap there is no denying that, to buy him back, in todays market, for £2m is a steal. Bad example I know but last year Villa bought a 32 year old Mile Jadinek for £4m. Great fee and before the summer if someone had offered us Davies and Huddlestone for less than £3m you'd be a fool not to snap their hand off.

37 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I think it iswrong to look at the figures in that way, we sold him way too cheap there is no denying that, to buy him back, in todays market, for £2m is a steal. Bad example I know but last year Villa bought a 32 year old Mile Jadinek for £4m. Great fee and before the summer if someone had offered us Davies and Huddlestone for less than £3m you'd be a fool not to snap their hand off.

Or another example of value - We just swapped Christie (3rd choice RB) for 2 players - A proper LHS CB (fairly rare breed) and another DM (which we've needed for about 3 seasons)

Archived