Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Can't say I remember much about Tom being in a Derby shirt,

I remember his long passing being a thing of beauty to watch. And I remember him never scoring but having LOADS of long range efforts that we were all willing to break the net as he drew back his peg...

And then I remember he looked pretty ponderous and immobile in the games against Hull last season and how we laughed at him and Livermore as being a pair of slow has-beens.

Erm

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I remember his long passing being a thing of beauty to watch. And I remember him never scoring but having LOADS of long range efforts that we were all willing to break the net as he drew back his peg...

And then I remember he looked pretty ponderous and immobile in the games against Hull last season and how we laughed at him and Livermore as being a pair of slow has-beens.

Erm

And we all remember him scoring his first professional goal don't we?

23 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

My retro-active revision of history suggests that never happened since Tommy is basically (almost) as close to my heart now as Sir Jake and Livermore (somehow) seems to be an England international...

I mean it definitely happened but I now feel shame for laughing at our Tom

I don't subscribe to the pace myth. Just because you don't have flat out sprint speed, doesn't mean you aren't rapid at moving the ball. Thorne isn't fast, but he moves the ball quickly. Into feet, turn out, ping a pass, all in a second. Huddlestone is much the same. Take Keogh, whose running speed is fantastic, gets the ball, and runs toward the half way line, before releasing the ball. He's a fast a player but doesn't necessarily speed up play. GT and TH are slow players that can often speed up play. 

15 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I don't subscribe to the pace myth. Just because you don't have flat out sprint speed, doesn't mean you aren't rapid at moving the ball. Thorne isn't fast, but he moves the ball quickly. Into feet, turn out, ping a pass, all in a second. Huddlestone is much the same. Take Keogh, whose running speed is fantastic, gets the ball, and runs toward the half way line, before releasing the ball. He's a fast a player but doesn't necessarily speed up play. GT and TH are slow players that can often speed up play. 

I'd say that's more an obvious side of Chrissy Martin's play. The speed of counter attacks and general play is much quicker with him up front, yet he's not nessecerily a fast sprinter. Speed in a footballing sense is about how fast they can think of a pass/shot and the reaction time to that. 

Bent, Christie, Dawkins, even Camara are all examples where they are very fast on their feet, but not fast thinkers and IMO all of those would slow down the teams play 

38 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I think most are more worried about it when we haven't got the ball.

4 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

If they are sitting in front of the back 4 then I doubt pace will be much of a problem. 

I can see it being a problem in a midfield two. One of them is going to have to venture forward a little at some point. Get caught out and it could spell trouble.

Quick passing three man midfields could easily pass around them too. I can see why people have reservations about them playing together.

6 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

It's a no from me. He was slow 12 years ago. Goes against what GR was initially trying to achieve with young fast hungry players. Would rather see Timi elsnick or others given a go. 

Sold him for £800k his best years elsewhere. Buy him back for 2mill. 

Still need to shift some out too. Let's hope he finally scores 15 years after his debut. 

Nevertheless, good luck Tom. Welcome back. Hope you prove to be the right signing. If we go up this season it will have been worth it. 

I think GR was talking about attacking players when talking about fast young players.

DM's Do not need to be fast, They are mainly there to dictate play and protect the back 4.

Great signing for me and still one of the best passers of a ball in this league.

A young, hungry, fast DM - at championship level, would be one that cant pass or has little vision. This is the Championship, people. You want a player that has decent levels of everything you need to be in the prem. I'd rather have a player with vision and a great pass than one who can run forever. 

Had enough of players running about and doing f**k all. 

22 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I think GR was talking about attacking players when talking about fast young players.

DM's Do not need to be fast, They are mainly there to dictate play and protect the back 4.

Great signing for me and still one of the best passers of a ball in this league.

you dont have to run like a hare if you can place a pass 20/30 yards accurately and Huddlestone has being doing the for years

1 minute ago, lioncoeur said:

huddlestonerunning.jpg

He doesn't look slow to me. If somebody would ask me, D. Nugent has great difficulty catching him.

Damn you're good. I've always struggled to perceive the speed in still pictures.

I do wonder why everyone today is so obsessed with pace. It seems in England, everyone wants a player who is fast, rather than a player that has the technical ability. Let's look at the German 2014 world cup side. The Germans didn't possess a huge amount of pace in that side, they won the world cup from technical performance and ability to pass the ball. What happened to the pacey English players? We went out in the group stages. There is countless amounts of 'quick' players that have absolutely no ball control, and wouldn't improve the side at all, and yet some fans would still prefer them to players such as Martin, as Martin ''isn't fast enough''. 

I'll take Camara as my example, the guy has pace, he also has very little ball control. Was he a good signing? I think we can all agree, he wasn't. So forgive my skepticism when the main criticism of a player is due to their perceived lack of pace (an attribute which isn't overly important for a central midfield player). George Thorne is one of the best midfielders we've had in a long time (when fit). That is because of his vision and ability to pass, not his pace. 

Finally, Huddlestone has never had pace, or been overly mobile. And yet, he played in the Champions League, and for England. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I do wonder why everyone today is so obsessed with pace. It seems in England, everyone wants a player who is fast, rather than a player that has the technical ability. Let's look at the German 2014 world cup side. The Germans didn't possess a huge amount of pace in that side, they won the world cup from technical performance and ability to pass the ball. What happened to the pacey English players? We went out in the group stages. There is countless amounts of 'quick' players that have absolutely no ball control, and wouldn't improve the side at all, and yet some fans would still prefer them to players such as Martin, as Martin ''isn't fast enough''. 

I'll take Camara as my example, the guy has pace, he also has very little ball control. Was he a good signing? I think we can all agree, he wasn't. So forgive my skepticism when the main criticism of a player is due to their perceived lack of pace (an attribute which isn't overly important for a central midfield player). George Thorne is one of the best midfielders we've had in a long time (when fit). That is because of his vision and ability to pass, not his pace. 

Finally, Huddlestone has never had pace, or been overly mobile. And yet, he played in the Champions League, and for England. 

Wasn't Hussain Bolt looking to play football? He should be quick enough, surely?

Archived