Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

1 minute ago, StringerBell said:

Are you sure you don't know number 1? Used to play for Manu.

Perhaps I should SB but not immediately, no. And maybe in part that's my point. There was a recent time when an overseas player was exotic to the fans of the club he played for and also to others, because they were a wonderful rarity and stood out because of it.

I watch about 30/35 live Rams matches a year, have a season ticket and travel thousands of miles. No big deal - thousands more do the same for our club and every other club. But I've never felt more divorced from the wider world of football. Looking down that list of names just makes the feeling even greater

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Told Lawrence interested in the move, Leicester won't sanction it until they bring in another forward. Gary is happy to bide his time, fee is £7m+. James is more keen on fighting for his place 

He's hardly ever played for them so why are they so bothered about replacing him before a sale?

11 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

What about number 1, 4,6 and 10? Surely you must have heard Patrick Roberts during his time at Fulham?

See above for 1 DEL; 4 and 6 no; 10 perhaps, but not instantly, no.

And I'm not being funny about this, nor trying to make a deep and meaningful point other than it's just about me. But I think I can reasonably argue that I am a committed Rams fan and watch a lot of football in which the Rams are involved. But there was a time when I could name the main players in the opposition team that we were about to play, when I would know which players from other teams I would like us to sign and seeing that list, which I guess is not a list of particularly special players, I realise that I no longer can do that. I genuinely don't know most of them.

Just put it down to my age!

3 minutes ago, admira said:

He's hardly ever played for them so why are they so bothered about replacing him before a sale?

I'm not certain, but it could be to do with them possibly losing Mahrez as well as Gray not fully committing his future to them until he's assured of first team football. So they'd probably be reluctant to lose 3 wingers in 1 window.

32 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Told Lawrence interested in the move, Leicester won't sanction it until they bring in another forward. Gary is happy to bide his time, fee is £7m+. James is more keen on fighting for his place 

Is there any more teams in for him mate?

8 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Perhaps I should SB but not immediately, no. And maybe in part that's my point. There was a recent time when an overseas player was exotic to the fans of the club he played for and also to others, because they were a wonderful rarity and stood out because of it.

I watch about 30/35 live Rams matches a year, have a season ticket and travel thousands of miles. No big deal - thousands more do the same for our club and every other club. But I've never felt more divorced from the wider world of football. Looking down that list of names just makes the feeling even greater

So you're saying there's an over-saturation of foreign players to the point they're not seen as exotic now? I know what you mean, it used to be the star striker or flair winger, but now even the mundane box to box midfielders and defenders aren't British. 

That player gave a good account of himself in a World Cup and then moved to Manu. He got a reputation for being a bit of a supersub. Old fashioned goal poacher. A poor mans Darren Bent  ?

It's easy to lose touch even if you try and follow football around the world though, I followed the Bundesliga quite heavily 3 or 4 years ago but found if I didn't find the time to follow it closely for just six months then all of a sudden there's these next big things I've never heard of. If I get out of the habit of watching MOTD things can pass me by.

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

See above for 1 DEL; 4 and 6 no; 10 perhaps, but not instantly, no.

And I'm not being funny about this, nor trying to make a deep and meaningful point other than it's just about me. But I think I can reasonably argue that I am a committed Rams fan and watch a lot of football in which the Rams are involved. But there was a time when I could name the main players in the opposition team that we were about to play, when I would know which players from other teams I would like us to sign and seeing that list, which I guess is not a list of particularly special players, I realise that I no longer can do that. I genuinely don't know most of them.

Just put it down to my age!

That's understandable. 

I'm the same @ilkleyram used to be able to name whole teams, who they played for prior to their current club and all that but I can't now. I wonder if it's down to either not seeing footballers as gods anymore or my dwindling interest in other teams. 

I pay very attention to the Premier League currently, that'll change when we get there mind but that would have been unthinkable at one time. 

As long as I don't forget who's playing for us, I'm not going to let it bother me.

21 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Chicharito, or Javier Hernandez, dubbed the new Solksjaer.

Javier-Hernandez-1345107959.jpg

3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I'm the same @ilkleyram used to be able to name whole teams, who they played for prior to their current club and all that but I can't now. I wonder if it's down to either not seeing footballers as gods anymore or my dwindling interest in other teams. 

Or dementia?

47 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

We still interested in James despite getting huddlestone then mate? Gary looking at another midfielder for playing a midfield three then perhaps?

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Chicharito, or Javier Hernandez, dubbed the new Solksjaer.

Javier-Hernandez-1345107959.jpg

Thanks rynny.  Can't say that he particularly registers but maybe that's my point.

According to another website which I've just been on because of the (helpful) comments on here, he's just cost £16m and has a contract that pays him £140k per week or about £6m a year. The Manu side that drew 4-4 with us on Boxing Day in Les Green's last match for us I could name and abuse from 1 to 11. This guy has past me by. My age, my fault!

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We still interested in James despite getting huddlestone then mate? Gary looking at another midfielder for playing a midfield three then perhaps?

James seems to be a bit of everything and can play in a 2 or 3 better than some of our current midfielders that aren't suited to 1 or the other? Just my thoughts on him

Regarding not knowing players, I think the worlds got larger even though it's got smaller if that makes sense. That many players from every corner of the globe these days being unearthed there's an abundance of them. 

Going back over the years though, how many had heard of asanovic, baiano, eranio, stomach wanchope etc that adorned our hallowed turf? 

Also some of it is the amount of transfers these days. Used to get 2 or 3 and spread out throughout the season whereas now clubs are buying double figures and all condensed into specific transfer windows so there's just that any going on its hard to keep track.

Archived