How are you feeling about the upcoming season right now?

Chris Mills

Optimistic in terms of I think we'll be hard to beat, well organized, ruthless and playing as a team and leaving it all out there.

Cautiously optimistic that quite a few dissapinting / underrated players will become important parts of the team.

Cautiously optimistic this will translate itself into decent results on the board.

However, even if we're effective I worry that unless we're winning an awful lot, the fact that we do what we do, week in week out and that's what we got will get the moaners up and running "boring football" "should never have sold Ince and Hughes" "no creativity"etc will get ever more persistent. Maybe even the rallying cry of "no plan B" will rear its ugly head again.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jawa said:

From us supporters upwards, everything to do with the club screams promotion or bust this season. Think if we don't go up this season there'll be a serious inquest into everything related to the club, because there's been serious changes already to try and make it work.

Sorry i had to laugh can you imagine Mel having a serious word with himself lol

Can not wait for the football to start, can not wait to see our starting 11 at Sunderland, can not wait to do the double over Forest, Leeds and the Sheffield clubs, as always can not wait to get behind my team DCFC, and I think this could be a very interesting season, in Gary Rowett I trust, I always look forward to the new season. Once a Ram always a Ram.

3 hours ago, ramblur said:

Bit skinny though,Utch. A fella (or gal) wouldn't want to see 7 of em in his/her's dream.

Depresses me to think that I may have been the only one forced to go to Sunday School at a time when everyone else was tucking into the ITV footie. Twas a weak attempt at a biblical joke,Utch, so I hope you didn't take offence!

9 hours ago, David said:

If you're not looking forward to the new season, football probably isn't your thing. I would say around 50% of this league should be going into this season with promotion hopes, Derby being one of those clubs.

Even if you look at our squad on paper and say mid table at best, that's no reason why you shouldn't be optimistic. 12 months ago, if you wrote Huddersfield's squad down on paper not many would have predicted a top 6 finish leading to promotion and that's not being disrespectful to Huddersfield, I bet many of there fans would agree. 

What it shows that it's not how good you look on paper but it's putting the work in on the pitch, £10m fancy signings won't guarantee you promotion, football is a team game not individuals, the last couple of seasons have crashed and burnt over us not playing and fighting as a team.

We may have lost very good individuals, what we may have gained is a little more togetherness, I'm not saying any that have left we're having a negative impact in the dressing room, just a smaller squad with fewer big name players unhappy at not getting games. Cry and stamp your feet all you like over Hughes and Ince but both wanted out, a new challenge and Premier League football. That's football, we take the money and move on, invest it hopefully a little wiser this time which given the signings so far I'm hopeful of.

Personally I'm happy with how Rowett has gone about this window, he hasn't rushed out and splashed the cash leaving departures as an after thought. 

All those pesky kids on Twitter with "announce X" player thinking it's a video game, it's not, I mean it's a game still but a game that has financial fair play rules to try and keep the game in check which Derby have to abide by. Quick scout through the suggestion thread on this forum is mind boggling some of the players people think we should sign right now. Many Premier League players on big money looking for new clubs.

I think do we do need to inject some new life into our forward line, if we can do that with a couple more departures and see the window close with us sat on a net spend positive whilst having a squad able to compete I'm happy. Don't care if they are £10m signings from the Premier League or 250k from Scotland, I just want a team that will give it their all when Saturday comes.

I like this comment.

I may have fit the wrong end of the stick ...

At first impressions, I really do not like the heart button. I don't want negative ratings on my comments, although I suspect that I might get some negative hearts in response to saying this, because that would be the most amusing response! :(

I do want to 'like' comments, which means a lot of things, such as 'I agree', or, 'I respect that point', and occasionally,  'thanks' (which is one of the new options) or 'fair enough', if someone has quoted me. I think I will only rarely want to say 'thanks'.

Being a little vain, I do like to see the names of people who have 'liked' my comments. I also like to see who has liked other people's comments, because knowing if it has been liked by a usual 'liker' or not adds flavour to the forum.

Sometimes, I think that I've made a good point, and it gets no 'likes' and sometimes I reflect on whether I've missed the point, etc., but it doesn't stop me making new posts. However, I am not sure I will have much enjoyment from finding out people generally dislike what I've written.

Will people stop posting?

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Genuine question, not trying to argue with you, just wondering whether you think it's a personnel thing, or a philosophy thing.

I wonder if we actually do have some pretty creative players, and the capability to score goals (Martin, Vydra, Nugent and even Blackman have had pro-rata 20+ goal seasons at this level), but maybe the last couple of years have been the wrong mentality.

Its not about finishing. As you say there are four players who can score goals. The problem is getting beyond the opposition; taking a player on; running in behind; overlapping full backs who can deliver a great final ball. We have become slightly risk averse. Safe passes. But ultimately we just haven't got the necessary skill.

Hoping for a nice stable season.

Hopefully Gary gets all the time and trust he needs.

looking forward to it, happy for us to compete and be a transition season.

I'm quietly hoping for a solid back four with Thorne in front of them.  After that, I hope to see a good attacking team with passing and movement.  Two wingers, two attacking midfielders all having freedom to attack beyond the centre forward in a neat pass and move style.

And seeing a tiger-ish combative pressing style when not in possession of the ball...

I'm on the fence about the whole thing, I think we are a club in turmoil, mainly because of Mel, his decisions while well intentioned I'm sure have had an adverse effect on the club. I hope he can learn from his mistakes and stand back, stop his continual meddling in team affairs etc and let Rowett do his job? What that job turns out to be will be interesting,as by selling our 2 best players IMO, I await his vision of the future DCFC.

Best wishes to him and the boys for the season, let's hope Thorne can get back to his best, and stay injury free as we need his ability to do what he does, and if Martin can get us 20 plus goals (which I doubt, sorry but... ) If these things happen as optomists hope,then who knows what will happen ?but i remain agnostic.

It's important to wait to see who we bring in, who gets injured (Thorne, Forsyth) and who else we lose. 

I predicted 14th after the end of last season, so as it stands, I'll stick with that. I think we will accumulate around 60-65 points anyway. 

1 hour ago, nfb said:

I'm on the fence about the whole thing, I think we are a club in turmoil, mainly because of Mel, his decisions while well intentioned I'm sure have had an adverse effect on the club. I hope he can learn from his mistakes and stand back, stop his continual meddling in team affairs etc and let Rowett do his job? What that job turns out to be will be interesting,as by selling our 2 best players IMO, I await his vision of the future DCFC.

Best wishes to him and the boys for the season, let's hope Thorne can get back to his best, and stay injury free as we need his ability to do what he does, and if Martin can get us 20 plus goals (which I doubt, sorry but... ) If these things happen as optomists hope,then who knows what will happen ?but i remain agnostic.

" Turmoil " ? Hardly

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

" Turmoil " ? Hardly

turmoil , noun [ S or U ] UK /ˈtɜː.mɔɪl/ US /ˈtɝː.mɔɪl/

> a state of confusion, uncertainty, or disorder:

Its a forum and my opinion of how I have seen the club over the last couple of years, hopefully those times are in the past, but with Mels record who knows, not all opinions are respected, but I respect yours to differ. 

Adding to my comment above I see Thorne has a grade 1  hamstring injury, best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. 

Carson/Mitchell/Roos

Wisdom/Baird

Fozzy/Lowe/Olsson

Davies/Keogh/Shackell/Pearce

Thorne/Butters/Johnson/Bryson

Russell/Anya/Weimann/Blackman

Martin/Nuge/Vydra/Bent

that squad with 1/2 quality additions should be good enough to challenge top 6. 

Im feeling quite optimistic. 

Archived