How are you feeling about the upcoming season right now?

Chris Mills

I'll start this season like I've started all the 50 plus seasons that I've been a Ram, full of hope with a twinge of trepidation. If the season doesn't turn out like I hoped, there's always next season and the next one and the next one and the next...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too early to judge yet, however so far we have failed to address the lack of creativity in midfield, and the lack of goals.

we haven't got a clue whether it will be a Pearsonesque 442, or a 4231 with a lone striker, or the previously favoured 433, but we do know that we have to score a lot more goals if we want to be in any fit state for promotion. 

So far i expect similar to last season, possibly slightly worse having sold Ince, hughes and Christie.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

so far we have failed to address the lack of creativity in midfield, and the lack of goals

Genuine question, not trying to argue with you, just wondering whether you think it's a personnel thing, or a philosophy thing.

I wonder if we actually do have some pretty creative players, and the capability to score goals (Martin, Vydra, Nugent and even Blackman have had pro-rata 20+ goal seasons at this level), but maybe the last couple of years have been the wrong mentality.

1st point. Where's the icon that let you delete all of a post before you posted it gone?

2nd point. I'm looking forward to seeing how GR plans to move us forward, but can't get my head around selling Hughes.

Don't give me that nonsense about him wishing to move on up, if GR had sat him down and told him he'd build a side around him, I'm not convinced, at all, that he wouldn't still be here.

He obviously didn't do that, so Will left, but maybe Rowetts way will be for the long term betterment of the club, however much I'd disagree at this point.

One things for sure, this is truly Mel's way from here on in, his manager, his structure and his employees to make it happen.

No excuses from now on, and no employees to blame if it doesn't work, it's all on Mel.

I'm weirdly confident, despite the previous tone of my post, that it will work.

Nothing stranger than football, after all.

44 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

1st point. Where's the icon that let you delete all of a post before you posted it gone?

2nd point. I'm looking forward to seeing how GR plans to move us forward, but can't get my head around selling Hughes.

Don't give me that nonsense about him wishing to move on up, if GR had sat him down and told him he'd build a side around him, I'm not convinced, at all, that he wouldn't still be here.

He obviously didn't do that, so Will left, but maybe Rowetts way will be for the long term betterment of the club, however much I'd disagree at this point.

One things for sure, this is truly Mel's way from here on in, his manager, his structure and his employees to make it happen.

No excuses from now on, and no employees to blame if it doesn't work, it's all on Mel.

I'm weirdly confident, despite the previous tone of my post, that it will work.

Nothing stranger than football, after all.

I honestly don't believe rowett is the type of manager to sit hughes down and tell him he will build a team around him and personally I'm really pleased he isn't in fact I think it's a quality that stands him in good stead for the job he has at Derby at this point , 

im as sad as anybody to see will leave but rowett has made it clear that he intends building a team based on players wanting to be part of it and running through walls to get a place and keep it , much as loved watching Hughes emerge and blossom at Derby I'm also honest enough with myself to know that if young will really wanted that there's no way that with the natural talent he s gifted with he couldn't have forced his way into a rowett team and kept his place in it 

As always excited!

Looking forward to seeing how the players respond to Rowett. What impact the change of playing staff makes on the pitch.

Also excited to see if we bring anyone in!

I'm confident we'll make playoffs this season.

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

Think we'll defend well. Worried about where the goals will come from, as of the present moment.

I understand the feeling with creative Will and dangerous Tom gone .... But we forget a new system may see Vydra and Martin linking and Nuge is going to be a huge asset . For me we have the firepower. The issue will be can we give the guns the ammunition ? Can our midfield gel with the forward line? If it does (and with a newly refurbished and polished defence ) we could be knocking on the door. I am optimistic. Maybe not top two .. But in the mix COYR

21 minutes ago, jono said:

I understand the feeling with creative Will and dangerous Tom gone .... But we forget a new system may see Vydra and Martin linking and Nuge is going to be a huge asset . For me we have the firepower. The issue will be can we give the guns the ammunition ? Can our midfield gel with the forward line? If it does (and with a newly refurbished and polished defence ) we could be knocking on the door. I am optimistic. Maybe not top two .. But in the mix COYR

Defence looks sound and we have riches in abundance up front ,, the key will be that recurring puzzle we have had for a good few years ,, getting and keeping a good and consistent blend in midfield ,, whether we can achieve that with our current personnel or whether we need incoming player/ players is the thing gr has to figure out ,, I do see us trying to be far more compact with a higher line though under rowett so that may go a long way to curing it and possibly a fit and motivated Chris martin linking things up may also add enough

The other recurring problem that we've had for several years (and even identified by Nigel) is the lack of consistently good delivery from wide areas.To me this is just as big a problem as the midfield mix.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Were goals going come from how about chris martin nurgent vryda theres a goal fest right there.

Those three players will not be starting games together on a regular basis. Nugent and Martin is like a slug and a tortoise upfront together. I'm not saying I dislike them B4, I'm slowly coming round to having Vydra with Martin (In hope more than vain) but the creativity, deadly passes, the shots, the beating your man etc needs to come from two wingers who as yet, we don't have.

And God forbid, who is taking our set pieces this year!

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

When people are going to the trouble of having stuff like this made then you can't help but be positive.

19732046_10211571833586065_422212962888940325_n.thumb.jpg.71a0851bff50d7c43ee37d4f1e22c63d.jpg

Feck it,it's lying down already.

Or is it on a stretcher?

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It'll be standing proud in me cousins' lads new house very soon!

Did you make it Utch? Tis a fine beast.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

I wish Ramb' I'm going to order one and have it mounted on me garden fence.

Bit skinny though,Utch. A fella (or gal) wouldn't want to see 7 of em in his/her's dream.

Archived