How are you feeling about the upcoming season right now?

Chris Mills

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait for the season to start, this summer seems soooooo long. Hope we can bring in a creative midfielder before the Aug 4th, if we do we'll be top 6, if not 9th-12th. 

8 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Desperate to start the season, and far more relaxed about where we will and need to finish.

Hoping for a more positive atmosphere around the club without the insistence on promotion of the last few years with everyone's expectations lowered a bit.

Small squad and no expectations were two main ingredients which made 13/14 so enjoyable. 

Totally pessimistic tbh. The football is likely to be dull, percentage based stuff; all physicality, little finesse. All the overpaid underperforming dross that has let us down for the last two seasons are still here, and we have sold our two biggest talents. 

The next couple of signings need to be exceptional and far better than what we have already if we are to make any headway next season.

Genuinely not feeling any excitement for the new season, but on the plus side I'm off on holiday soon!

I think we will be top six , as someone already said ,rowett seems to have a very clear unmuddled vision of what he wants and I think he will transmit that to the players and be able to get them onboard in a way Pearson wasn't able to do and anybody not getting on board 100percent will be gone 

It's become very easy for us fans to view and label a lot of our players as deadwood when in fact that so called deadwood is in the main  made up of very decent players at this level who could or have graced promotion winning / chasing teams 

we have had a crazy tipsy turvy couple of years and decent players have fallen through the cracks into poor motivation and poor form ,I think rowett will change that and really don't buy all this hoofball dire workhorses idea that a lot of fans are spouting ,,,,it's not an either or choice talent or workrate ,, you can have both and if you can marry the two and instill the work ethic into talented players then that's when you get lift off but the first step always has to be building a team spirit work your butt off for your teammates ethic at the club ,

ive watched with interest posters proposing formations and team line ups with our current players and you know what ?. When you look at most of these permutations they are bloody good teams if managed and motivated properly ,

if you asked my to spend decent money to improve us I would be looking to bring in the best wide left player I could and perhaps a cm if we can't get the balance right with what we have ,,, I can easily see rowett playing three at the back and Russel taking ince position and a talented player bought for wide left ,,

i really don't think selling ince and Hughes is going to be the doom and gloom disaster some are predicting though in fairness I'm sad to  see will go but that's only natural when watching him come in to the team as a kid and do so well but I also really believe the time was right for will and Derby ,,,

coyr

I've kind of written the coming season off, not in a moany old buggar way though, purely to give Rowett time to assemble a squad to his liking and implement his game plan.

Obviously I'm hoping for the best possible conclusion but I'm feeling if I don't set any targets I won't get the hump as the season progresses should it go awry.

Disappointed but more so with the decisions over the last year that got us to this point. I believe Ince and Hughes both needed to go if they wanted to leave but I'm in the camp that says McLaren should never have been sacked the second time round. 

I like Rowett. If I did not like Rowett I'd likely be very down on the whole situation. Davies is a good signing,  I prefer Christie to Wisdom but that's a tactical thing. The fans got to Christine's head so he's another that likely needed to get away. It's just all a bit of a shame. 

George returning is the one bit of exciting news for me. Perhaps new signings to replace the massive losses that Hughes and Ince are will help improve my mood (though Hughes didn't look to be important to Rowett at all) 

If you're not looking forward to the new season, football probably isn't your thing. I would say around 50% of this league should be going into this season with promotion hopes, Derby being one of those clubs.

Even if you look at our squad on paper and say mid table at best, that's no reason why you shouldn't be optimistic. 12 months ago, if you wrote Huddersfield's squad down on paper not many would have predicted a top 6 finish leading to promotion and that's not being disrespectful to Huddersfield, I bet many of there fans would agree. 

What it shows that it's not how good you look on paper but it's putting the work in on the pitch, £10m fancy signings won't guarantee you promotion, football is a team game not individuals, the last couple of seasons have crashed and burnt over us not playing and fighting as a team.

We may have lost very good individuals, what we may have gained is a little more togetherness, I'm not saying any that have left we're having a negative impact in the dressing room, just a smaller squad with fewer big name players unhappy at not getting games. Cry and stamp your feet all you like over Hughes and Ince but both wanted out, a new challenge and Premier League football. That's football, we take the money and move on, invest it hopefully a little wiser this time which given the signings so far I'm hopeful of.

Personally I'm happy with how Rowett has gone about this window, he hasn't rushed out and splashed the cash leaving departures as an after thought. 

All those pesky kids on Twitter with "announce X" player thinking it's a video game, it's not, I mean it's a game still but a game that has financial fair play rules to try and keep the game in check which Derby have to abide by. Quick scout through the suggestion thread on this forum is mind boggling some of the players people think we should sign right now. Many Premier League players on big money looking for new clubs.

I think do we do need to inject some new life into our forward line, if we can do that with a couple more departures and see the window close with us sat on a net spend positive whilst having a squad able to compete I'm happy. Don't care if they are £10m signings from the Premier League or 250k from Scotland, I just want a team that will give it their all when Saturday comes.

I can't wait. Are the ticket details out for Sunderland yet? I need to book an afternoon off work and rejig some holidays. 

I'm looking forward to our new look team. Martin back Thorne back may be another addition and off we go. I'm sure there will be plenty of ups and downs but I'm told by many supporters of other teams what a good manager we have.

Here we go, here we go, here we go.....

I'm really looking forward to the new season. If Rowett is as good as his word he'll be playing players that are committed to Derby and committed to playing for us! Don't necessarily think we need more players in, maybe a back up for George, but I hope for more to leave, if only on loan.

Come on You Rams!

38 minutes ago, David said:

I think do we do need to inject some new life into our forward line, if we can do that with a couple more departures and see the window close with us sat on a net spend positive whilst having a squad able to compete I'm happy. Don't care if they are £10m signings from the Premier League or 250k from Scotland, I just want a team that will give it their all when Saturday comes.

Did you mean to put that,David,because to me that would imply spending more on transfer fees than the fees of outgoings,and I can't see that happening?

As usual,I'm looking forward to next season.Seeing the lads put in a full,committed,shift  every week would be a good starting point for me.All I ask is that they do their best.

28 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Did you mean to put that,David,because to me that would imply spending more on transfer fees than the fees of outgoings,and I can't see that happening?

My terminology is incorrect. Recouping more money than spend was what I meant 

2 minutes ago, David said:

My terminology is incorrect. Recouping more money than spend was what I meant 

Had a gut feeling that's what you meant,which is why I gave you the chance to clarify.

Archived