What do you really think of Morris?

oldtimeram

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Thankful for his investment, but his dealings on the pitch have been appalling and really makes me question his decision making. 

'His' dealings on the pitch? Hasn't 'he' just backed his managers and let them do the deals they wanted to do?  Or is it a case of being 'his' fault when things don't work out on the pitch but the manager's genius if they do work out?  

The mixed mesages in this thread are a crease; half the people are annoyed that he micro manages, half the people are annoyed he hasn't stopped people from buying/selling  players they don't think should have been bought or sold.

I think he'll leave the club in much better shape structurally thanks to his investment in the infrastructure and clearing of the debt.

Whether we'll be any better off league position wise, hard to be too positive based on his performance so far, but maybe he's just been unlucky.

4 minutes ago, LazloW said:

'His' dealings on the pitch? Hasn't 'he' just backed his managers and let them do the deals they wanted to do?  Or is it a case of being 'his' fault when things don't work out on the pitch but the manager's genius if they do work out?  

The mixed mesages in this thread are a crease; half the people are annoyed that he micro manages, half the people are annoyed he hasn't stopped people from buying/selling  players they don't think should have been bought or sold.

I just think he's fooking bobbins

3 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Very pleased,one of our own.

Doing his best and learning.

He will take the club forward.

I'm interested in why you think he's learning.

So far he's appointed a wide range of styles as boss, the only difference I can see from the outside with Rowett is he's given him total control of all aspects of 1st team affairs, rather than being the most important cog in the machine.

At least that's what I thought, until I saw Gary's interview re: Hughes, where he indicated he made the decision to let Will go, then handed it over to the financial guys to get the best deal.

With Sam Rush gone, the only financial guys I can see are the beancounting financial director, and Mel himself.

I'm not sure that's the best set up, and possibly explains why we didn't realise the full worth of young William.

Also possible I'm talking ballcocks, but only time will tell if Mel's learning the lessons he'll need.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

So far he's appointed a wide range of styles as boss, the only difference I can see from the outside with Rowett is he's given him total control of all aspects of 1st team affairs, rather than being the most important cog in the machine.

At least that's what I thought, until I saw Gary's interview re: Hughes, where he indicated he made the decision to let Will go, then handed it over to the financial guys to get the best deal.

With Sam Rush gone, the only financial guys I can see are the beancounting financial director, and Mel himself.

I'm not sure that's the best set up, and possibly explains why we didn't realise the full worth of young William.

Also possible I'm talking ballcocks, but only time will tell if Mel's learning the lessons he'll need.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

The fact that Rush has maybe the reason Rowett has full control of first matters

Lets set the record straight on a few things  regards Will 

1)If you listened to GRs interview he said Will was up for the move I honestly believe he wouldnt have been sold otherwise.

2)The fee now make no mistake up to this point in Wills career he has been bought for his potential   The last 2 years for whatever reason Wills career has not progressed during that time a number of very good young midfielders have come on the scene pushing Will further down the pecking order.This is probably the reason the fee was what it was it needed 2 clubs or more to show interest then the price would have shot up

Personally i wish Will all the best and hope he has great success in the years ahead

Think about the big decisions , and consider for each whether you would have done the same at the time.

1 sack mac1/simmo/eric after 2014/15 8th finish 1 point off the play offs

2 appoint clement / peacock / zubie 

3 sign all this lot in 2 transfer windows: carson, baird, olsson, pearce, shackell, johnson, butterfield, blackman, bent, weimann, Camara, ince @26m

4 enter the dressing room after a 1-1 draw to "carpet everybody"

5 sack pc / peacock in feb 2016 5th five points off top

6 appoint darren wassall

7 appoint redknapp

8 appoint pearson and powell

9 sign anya and vydra for £12m

10 get rid of chris martin on loan

11 get rid of pearson after 9 games, 22nd in table

12 appoint mac2, Chris evans and joe mac

13 sack mac2, powell and evans - 10th, ten points off play offs

14 appoint rowett (finish 9th 13 points off play offs)

15 sack rush

16 sell hughes

see how many you agree with.

Think about the big decisions , and consider for each whether you would have done the same at the time

No. After some deliberation. We had a good management team, and schteve had achieved a lot. If newcastle want him make them come asking.

Probably not. I'd never heard of Paul clement. The others had no experience. How could they be better than the team we had?

3 sign all this lot in 2 transfer windows: carson, baird, olsson, pearce, shackell, johnson, butterfield, blackman, bent, weimann, Camara, ince @26m

no. recruitment went crazy. The only one i would have signed at the time is shackell. Carson and ince have turned out well but few of the others were good signings.

absolutely ridiculous. The manager is finished after that. Mel must have been trying to force PC to resign.

absolutely ridiculous. You have to give him a full season. You can't sack the mananger every time you have a bad run.

6 appoint darren Wassall

No. Amazingly we had nothing lined up to replace PC and went for a total rookie

7 appoint Redknapp

No. a tacit admission that darren wasn't up to it. There was no evidence that wassall accepted redknapp who sat in the stand rather than on the bench. Pointless.

8 appoint pearson and Powell

No. Totally inappropriate appointment. Rather have had Powell.

No. More stupid OTT recruitment in terms of fees, dubious quality, and age (Anya)

No....with no replacement lined up? And why a loan? Did this suggest we had doubts about NP ? The season was knackered there and then.

Yes! Finally a good decision, albeit to correct his own error

So we've now got schteve minus the two assistants simmo and eric who never did anything wrong?

doesn't feel quite right, but probably yes.

No. even after a terrible run we are 12 places better off. Give the manager a season ffs.

Yes reluctantly. We are runing out of options even tho Gary 'i want to fight johnny russell' rowett does not look like a Derby Way kind of appointment.

15 sack rush

We can only assume that there was gross misconduct. 

If it was simply that MM didn't know about the contract extendions for Bent and Baird, or outstanding payments on Vydra and Anya, then no. Collective responsibility.

16 sell Hughes

No. We should be building the team around Will. I'd even make him captain. There's a new challenge for him right here.

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Not knowing him personally it's an assumption on my part.

The fact that he accepts he's made mistakes is the only real evidence.

41 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Think about the big decisions , and consider for each whether you would have done the same at the time

No. After some deliberation. We had a good management team, and schteve had achieved a lot. If newcastle want him make them come asking.

Probably not. I'd never heard of Paul clement. The others had no experience. How could they be better than the team we had?

no. recruitment went crazy. The only one i would have signed at the time is shackell. Carson and ince have turned out well but few of the others were good signings.

absolutely ridiculous. The manager is finished after that. Mel must have been trying to force PC to resign.

absolutely ridiculous. You have to give him a full season. You can't sack the mananger every time you have a bad run.

6 appoint darren Wassall

No. Amazingly we had nothing lined up to replace PC and went for a total rookie

7 appoint Redknapp

No. a tacit admission that darren wasn't up to it. There was no evidence that wassall accepted redknapp who sat in the stand rather than on the bench. Pointless.

No. Totally inappropriate appointment. Rather have had Powell.

No. More stupid OTT recruitment in terms of fees, dubious quality, and age (Anya)

No....with no replacement lined up? And why a loan? Did this suggest we had doubts about NP ? The season was knackered there and then.

Yes! Finally a good decision, albeit to correct his own error

So we've now got schteve minus the two assistants simmo and eric who never did anything wrong?

doesn't feel quite right, but probably yes.

No. even after a terrible run we are 12 places better off. Give the manager a season ffs.

Yes reluctantly. We are runing out of options even tho Gary 'i want to fight johnny russell' rowett does not look like a Derby Way kind of appointment.

15 sack rush

We can only assume that there was gross misconduct. 

If it was simply that MM didn't know about the contract extendions for Bent and Baird, or outstanding payments on Vydra and Anya, then no. Collective responsibility.

16 sell Hughes

No. We should be building the team around Will. I'd even make him captain. There's a new challenge for him right here.

With all of your excellent decision making I assume you've had quite a successful career as a football club owner/chairman?

With the considerable money you must have made from this have you not considered making an offer to buy MM out?

It's far more easy to criticise (especially with the benefit of hindsight) than to sit in the hotseat yourself.I know from living in Ireland and watching a lot of RTE that certain studio analysts,who were managerial flops themselves(one now departed from the scene) love to launch into criticism.

I don't remember much wringing of hands in 15/16,rather more of fairly embarrassing  bragging of how we were going to walk the league. 

36 minutes ago, ramblur said:

It's far more easy to criticise (especially with the benefit of hindsight) than to sit in the hotseat yourself.I know from living in Ireland and watching a lot of RTE that certain studio analysts,who were managerial flops themselves(one now departed from the scene) love to launch into criticism.

I don't remember much wringing of hands in 15/16,rather more of fairly embarrassing  bragging of how we were going to walk the league. 

Spot on.

For one of the more elderly posters you seem to have a much better memory than most!

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

No. Awful decision.

Maybe. I wanted Warburton, although he's hardly covered himself in glory since leaving Brentford. I was ok with Clement coming in.

No. I was extremely worried at the time about the level of spending and the quality of the incoming players.

No idea. I'd like to say no, but it must be tempting after a tepid performance like that when you're signing the cheques.

Maybe. I doubt I would've had the stones to do it, given the league position, but I can't say I was upset at the time.

6 appoint darren Wassall

Yes. If I'd identified an employee who I felt had the qualities to step up to the top job I'd give them a chance.

7 appoint Redknapp

No, but I think it turned out to be a smart decision. I think Redknapp actually did diddly squat, but he was employed simply to shut up the whinging fans and take some pressure off Wassall.

No. Possibly Powell on his own. Pearson wouldn't even have got an interview out of me.

I can't really answer these as they're all a consequence of making a decision that I knew would be awful from the get go. I was naturally opposed to everything Pearson did, but if I'd appointed him I would've tried to back him.

Yes. This was a great decision, as evidenced by our sharp upturn in form, style of play, and league position.

No. Awful decision. Made the exact same mistake as 18 months ago. Learned absolutely nothing.

Yes.

15 sack rush

No idea, although I will point out that Rush is at least the 4th major employee sacked for gross misconduct or implied misconduct under Morris' reign (Clement, Pearson, Idiakez, Rush). That's quite a run of bad luck.

16 sell Hughes

No. I certainly wouldn't have sold in June to the first team who made a serious offer.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Think about the big decisions , and consider for each whether you would have done the same at the time.

6 appoint darren wassall

7 appoint redknapp

15 sack rush

16 sell hughes

I wouldn't say you could isolate it in some events. 

Sacking Clement, appoint Wassall but ousting him for Pearson was a bizarre chain of events.

Clement should have stayed, Pearson should have been appointed instead of Wassall or Wassall should have gotten the job permanently. 

Sacking Pearson, to replace him with McClaren only to then appoint Rowett is just us going around in circles. 

The Clement war chest was a disaster and that was evident at the time, nevermind hindsight.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

With all of your excellent decision making I assume you've had quite a successful career as a football club owner/chairman?

With the considerable money you must have made from this have you not considered making an offer to buy MM out?

The usual sarcy craap from you.

if you bothered to check you would find that i said all of this at the relevant times. No benefit of hindsight.

18 minutes ago, cannable said:

I wouldn't say you could isolate it in some events. 

Sacking Clement, appoint Wassall but ousting him for Pearson was a bizarre chain of events.

Clement should have stayed, Pearson should have been appointed instead of Wassall or Wassall should have gotten the job permanently. 

Sacking Pearson, to replace him with McClaren only to then appoint Rowett is just us going around in circles. 

The Clement war chest was a disaster and that was evident at the time, nevermind hindsight.

Agreed the chain of managers is what truly doesn't make sense to me and is my biggest criticism of derby's senior management. 

Clement was in the top 6 when he got sacked. He gets sacked for being too results orientated, the football being too pragmatic and a few other reasons to boot. OK it's a harsh decision but I can see the logic of "the derby way" and wanting to emulating Southampton, in fact I applaud it.

Then incomes Wassell with the remit of bringing back the attacking free flowing swagger of the side, which he largely achieves whilst maintaining the position in the playoffs. He has a strained relationship with the fan base during his entire tenure and the result/performance in the first leg (although I blame Redknapp more for that). Because of that it perhaps makes sense not to hire him and go for someone else. 

What doesnt make sense at all is then going for somebody like Pearson, the complete antithesis of everything you were supposedly trying to achieve by hiring Wassell. A manager renowned for a lot of the reasons that Clement was sacked for combined with his style of football was less likely to suit the squad. 

If you were ultimately going to hire somebody like Pearson, why sack Clement?  We then pretty much repeat the same cycle this year albeit Pearson's sacking was far far more justified.

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that Rowett gets sacked around Christmas time after a lull in results and manager brought in who has the remit of playing free flowing football again.

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

No I would have given him a bollocking but felt the set up was good.

No never really heard of him before. He should have gone for experience. 

Thought it was great at the time but I hadn't seen half of them play or never noticed them. After seeing them I was fairly dissappointed. 

If it was me yes. I thought it was one of the most boring games ever. 

Yes I didn't complain when it happened. I slowly saw our performances decline. 

6 appoint darren wassall

No should have appointed a permanent replacement. 

7 appoint redknapp

No see above.

I was happy at the time the appointment was made.

No I think the money could have been better spent. 

No

Yes it seemed like the bloke had lost the plot. 

No It was a good chance to get someone better in.

Yes if Rowett was available and I wanted him in.

Yes I am happy with the appointment time will tell.

15 sack rush

Depends what has happened but I always thought he was a bit dodgy. 

16 sell hughes

No but it may prove to be a good decision. 

Here are mine.

49 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The usual sarcy craap from you.

if you bothered to check you would find that i said all of this at the relevant times. No benefit of hindsight.

It's not sarcy, I'm being serious.

If I was being sarcy I would have chosen one from your hundreds of negative tripe posts that you have made over the last week.

Archived