Earliest childhood memories

Wolfie

Last week, we took our little one to the Kennedy Space centre on holiday in Florida. She was in awe and was drawing space rockets for us all when we got back to my folks' place and has talked loads about it ever since.

I was talking to my father-in-law about it later that day because at 4 1/2 years old, it's likely to be a strong early memory for her - and a good one.

Anyone got any particular strong good or weird earliest memories & can anyone beat mine? -

Summer 1977 & it was Baslow village carnival for the Queen's silver jubilee. I was blacked up & dressed as a golly wog along with the other kids from my play group & paraded around the village on a trailer. Imagine the outcry if that happened now!!. Anyway, I hated it and cried the whole time.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember being in my cot, hanging onto the side and yelling; until I realised it wasn't working and lay down to go to sleep. I also used to have be held up to the window to say goodnight to the moon, otherwise bad things would happen. 

Not sure why this should be particularly significant, but I have a vivid image of crawling about on the back seat of our Humber Sceptre, trying to get hold of a boiled sweet which had stuck to the pale blue leather. That car was sold in 1968, so I must have been under 2. Fascinating stuff. 

I remember first day at Primary School being dared to put coal in a cars petrol tank, always up for a laugh I did it.

No idea how he found out but turned out it was the headmasters car, had us all lined up outside, can't remember if I just started to cry or owned up, mum was called into school, was threatened with the slipper.

Great start to my school life, went downhill from there on.

Funny how I can remember that but can't remember who got the last round in at the pub 

I met up with a old school friend not so long ago and he started reminiscing about the stuff we used to get up to - which I had absolutely no idea about.  I've actually thought about my childhood a lot these past few weeks trying to drag some memories from somewhere but there just aren't any.

The earliest thing I can remember, and even those are fuzzy feelings rather than clear memories, I reckon come from my early/mid teens.  Not sure if thats a good thing or not lol.

My first memory is inside our cellar apartment, my sister trying to keep me inside when i was very curious as to what was going on outside in the driveway.  i made an annoying loud sound as i recall, of a certain pitch i had learned irritated my sister into action and she lugged me out to see our parents washing our old car they were about to sell.  Everything that was white appeared yellow, even the sunlight was yellowish  That car was sold when i was 9 months old.

Just now, ramit said:

My first memory is inside our cellar apartment, my sister trying to keep me inside when i was very curious as to what was going on outside in the driveway.  i made an annoying loud sound as i recall, of a certain pitch i had learned irritated my sister into action and she lugged me out to see our parents washing our old car they were about to sell.  Everything that was white appeared yellow, even the sunlight was yellowish  That car was sold when i was 9 months old.

Another eruption from Mother Island Ramit? 

3 hours ago, David said:

I remember first day at Primary School being dared to put coal in a cars petrol tank, always up for a laugh I did it.

No idea how he found out but turned out it was the headmasters car, had us all lined up outside, can't remember if I just started to cry or owned up, mum was called into school, was threatened with the slipper.

Great start to my school life, went downhill from there on.

Funny how I can remember that but can't remember who got the last round in at the pub 

Threatening your mum with the slipper, did she take him up on it? 

When just 4, knocked off balance by a small wave at Great Yarmouth, losing grip on bucket and spade, and could not locate in the sandy surf until Dad came to the rescue.

Not sure which is better: being able to recall this as my first memory, or the fact that after xx years I can still remember  it happening all those years ago!

When I was about 6 I was playing in the garden when my dad (who i'd not seen for a while) turned up at our house in a van with a woman and 2 kids i'd never seen before in the passenger seats. He walked straight past me in to the house and on his way out I asked him who the people were. He told me to mind my own bloody business and off he went never to be seen again. Poor little Parsnip.

Alfreton lido though!!!... I practically lived there as a kid - loads of memories of that amazing place! 

One of my earliest memories is going to see derby reserves vs Man U reserves st the baseball ground. I was only about 4 and a half and my dad was a season ticket holder, he took me to see if I was interested, suffice to say 20 years later... I was.

Funny how some things are crystal clear. Not sure of my exact age but must have been 6 or 7.. Brother was pissing me off, so I threw a fork at him across the dinner table.. Four points right in the middle of his forehead.. The look of shock on his face. Was not till after the inevitable hiding on the parent front did I realise that could have been nasty..

Great shot though..

I remember running into a chest of drawers on the landing and splitting my eyebrow enough to need 2 stitches at the local hospital. The a week later my baby brother pushing me off a kitchen stool and getting knocked out on the kitchen floor, leading to another trip to casualty.

years later my Mum told me that a doctor took her in to a room alone and asked "is everything alright at home"  ... Pretty impressive alertness given it was about 1965. 

My earliest clear memories are from a family holiday to Paignton when I was 3 in 1970.

My grandma, grandad, auntie, uncle, 2 cousins, mum, myself and brother went. I can clearly remember walking around in an arcade collecting winnings from the machines (not mine), my mum saw me and took me outside to give me a telling off.

On 20 June 2017 at 16:26, AmericanRam said:

I remember going on a field trip to a local petting zoo when I was 5 years old, and getting pissed on by a llama.

I was never into water sports myself  :lol: but that reminded me of my Dad taking us to a local farm when I must have been 3 or 4 and the total shock of the roughness of a cows tongue on your hand. 

Archived