Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't we all just wish him well, I certainly do,  he needed to move on, he is far to good for the championship and was starting to stagnate. He wil, I believe now flourish into a quality prem player. I wish he had gone somewhere better than Watford and for more money. But it's not my money we're wasting so I don't care much tbh.  Good luck and thanks for the memories 

Just now, Doodle said:

Can't we all just wish him well, I certainly do,  he needed to move on, he is far to good for the championship and was starting to stagnate. He wil, I believe now flourish into a quality prem player. I wish he had gone somewhere better than Watford and for more money. But it's not my money we're wasting so I don't care much tbh.  Good luck and thanks for the memories 

Well said that man.  All things being equal I would have loved Will to stay, but his time has come to move on.  It was always likely at some point though and I'm quite happy to hopefully see him progress.  If it turns out we let him go at a bargain price then, well, it won't be the first time and it won't be the last... football is like that.  Transfers are calculated risks for buyers and sellers alike. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Did he go off with cramp? He certainly went down with it. Maybe he took his GPS watch off when the transfer talks started. Can't help but think he wasn't up for Rowett's extra measures of preseason training regime?

Stop stirring up a hornet's nest Roy :whistle:

On 24/06/2017 at 14:15, TuffLuff said:

I do expect tht we will see more of the likes of Bennett, Guy, Lowe, Hanson, Rawson this coming season, especially with a few more outgoings.

Said previously that for the academy to work we need to be prepared, when the time is right, to sell our academy players on. This means the next generation can then progress and develop like Hughes got the chance to. As much as we won't like it sometimes it needs to a revolving door for it to work on the pitch and financially.

I agree with all of that. Hendrick and Hughes have now brought the club close to 15 million in fees plus a potential uplift further down the line. Not too shabby for two lads who cost nowt, aside from the obvious cost of developing them.

What you also need for the academy to work is a manager who is brave enough to pick those players week in week out. A manager who allows them to grow and who keeps picking them even if they have a dip in results.

a few years ago Derby was renowned for pushing the academy kids through, for giving kids 15 and upwards real first team opportunities.

thats the side of management that isn't easy to stick to. When you're struggling for results it can be tough to keep the young ins involved. I think Gary is the kind of manager who will trust his kids.

without the 200 league games behind them, Hughes and hendrick would be worth close to bugger all.

2 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I agree with all of that. Hendrick and Hughes have now brought the club close to 15 million in fees plus a potential uplift further down the line. Not too shabby for two lads who cost nowt, aside from the obvious cost of developing them.

What you also need for the academy to work is a manager who is brave enough to pick those players week in week out. A manager who allows them to grow and who keeps picking them even if they have a dip in results.

a few years ago Derby was renowned for pushing the academy kids through, for giving kids 15 and upwards real first team opportunities.

thats the side of management that isn't easy to stick to. When you're struggling for results it can be tough to keep the young ins involved. I think Gary is the kind of manager who will trust his kids.

without the 200 league games behind them, Hughes and hendrick would be worth close to bugger all.

I do agree that the academy lads need to have their chances but it was clear from the start that Hughes and Hendrick could cut it in the Championship at a young age. Others I have seen have been given a chance but either look out of their depth or didn’t make the cut. How long do you give them? If they aren't playing well enough to get in the team should they be picked?

PistoldPete2
29 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Hendrick and hughes close to £15 million?

i think hughes fee has been quoted at anything between £ 5 million and £ 8 million, either way ridiculously low as was seen tonight.

hendrick's was £10.5 million, and I think burnnley are now happy with that deal too.

even the £15.5 million to £18 million we got was far, far too low. 

Next time I me any club wants to buy a derby player they will know we are a soft touch. 

28 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I do agree that the academy lads need to have their chances but it was clear from the start that Hughes and Hendrick could cut it in the Championship at a young age. Others I have seen have been given a chance but either look out of their depth or didn’t make the cut. How long do you give them? If they aren't playing well enough to get in the team should they be picked?

And therein is the kernal of the dilemma. Hughes & Hendrick were pitched in because they clearly have talent and NC didn't have money to burn like others who came after him. BUT surely we grow and develop talent for Derby County first team...not for the likes of Watford. Darren Wassell said {and I was there when he said it} at 15 he wouldn't have predicted Will Hughes would be the one to "blossom" into a regular first team player. So...it's a difficult one but it starts by getting the best talent into the Academy in the first place...hence "own the Region". And I like the idea of MM's {I believe} that say's he wants to see 2 Academy players in the squad per season...otherwise why have an Academy. All common sense really. Many kids have talent but that talent is only turned into a reality if they get the chance to develop it in a  REAL game. 

3 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

What, on God's green earth, makes you believe this? We had several nothing games at the end of last season that would've been absolutely ideal for Rowett to have a look at some of our youth players. He played the exact same players he'd played in the previous 6 games. I hope he was watching the game tonight. Will's performance made him look like a right mug.

Archived