Mel interview

Day

Some of you think that cutting the squad is going to be hard but take a best case scenario:

Martin, Thorne and Forsyth come back- like new signings without a fee. Even Hanson could blossom under GR.

If and I know it's a big if, we can get a fee for the likes of Bent ( I still think he'll leave as Nugent and Martin will be above him), Butterfield, Camara, Olsson, Christie and Weimann plus the odd release like Rawson that will trim the squad enough to allow some new signings.

Looking forward to next season already, why wouldn't I?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RamNut said:

the iceland team age range is 22-37 is the equivalent of 15 academy years 

if we picked a team of derbyshire / DCFC academy products produced over 15 years, aged under 37 we could probably give Iceland a decent game.

+ not sure what the icelandic f a will be able to tell us since only three of their international squad of 30 play  in Iceland.

The core of the Icelandic team has come up together through the younger national sides.  They were the first generation to reap the rewards of all year training facilities and highly qualified coaching. 

Derbyshire today could not put together a side to reach the Euro finals and be fighting for top spot in their WC group

English managers who have had Icelandic players see one commonality in these players, they are dedicated hard workers.  This is a character trait they acquire from a very young age, the motto being work hard, believe in yourself and the rest will work itself out.  There are no Prima Donna's in the national side, it is not tolerated, they work for each other and the team as equals.  Gylfi Sigurðsson is of course a vital part of the team, but he always plays it down when interviewed, always.  He is just one of the guys on a mission and proud to wear the national shirt.

15 hours ago, rammieib said:

Until success is delivered on the pitch I genuinely find it hard to take MM seriously anymore. The comments are much of a muchness after every manager that comes in.

out of interest what happened to our game against Leeds that was going to happen over Easter?? When did that plan get scrapped?

...it got scrapped when Leeds declined it.

Looking forward to seeing how the summer incoming and outgoings go, it's not going to be easy, but in Mr Rowett I trust, just hope everyone gives him time, because reshaping a squad takes time, I think it we get in the top 6 next season, it will be a bonus, but the season after, I firmly believe we will be pushing for promotion I think coming in will be a right back, a centre back a defensive midfielder a wide midfielder and a forward, and going out will be up to 9 players,  Christee, Shackell, Butterfield, Camara, weissman, Blackman, Bent, Rawson, and Olsson, and maybe a quality player like Ince or Hughes to go to get some serious transfer money in, can not wait to see how this all pans out, but in Mr Rowett we have the right man to make this work.

15 hours ago, Simsy said:

I wish he came out and said I've made mistakes with hiring managers and rowett will be given time.

stability please!!!!!

he does say that. Right at the beginning. I don't understand why people question MM. Although I have never spoken to him personally myself, I have spoken to plenty who have. And they say he is very open, very candid and very honest. And that's what MM says about GR, and maybe there is a chemistry between GR and MM that will give us {the Club} stability. To be fair to MM, previous managers have agreed to become manager and have accepted the givens, then clearly have deviated from the job description ("clearly Plan B became Plan A under Nigel Pearson, " ie Pearson didn't adhere to the vision he set out at interview so he went. And that is what MM has said each time. 

There are many bits of the interview that I like and am excited by; clearly MM is developing and etching in more detail around the Academy and the tiered structure to players, but what most excites me is the disclosure about the level of detail that GR brings eg the bit about Google Drive and the TV screens at Moor Farm. That tells me that GR has OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I don't mean literally and he needs to see a psychiatrist I mean figuratively. To succeed, you need to build "advantage" and "edge"; whilst Mac is a great coach, his vision didn't extend beyond the training pitch. In contrast to GR, who thinks vertically and horizontally about every aspect of the Football Club. He also believes in "Kaizen" ( (改善), is the Japanese word for "continuous improvement ". In business, kaizen refers to activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers. (My emphasis). This is what excites me most.

I hereby predict, and happy for this to be bookmarked, that we have found a manager in GR who will take this club forward and on to the next level. And because MM and GR think along very similar lines {unlike McClaren, Pearson, Clement}, I predict that their relationship will be a long and productive one. I don't make this prediction lightly out of some sentimental, rose-coloured-spectacled future. I just think that there is a meeting of minds at last that will work together and produce the goods for Derby County. :mellow:

44 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

he does say that. Right at the beginning. I don't understand why people question MM. Although I have never spoken to him personally myself, I have spoken to plenty who have. And they say he is very open, very candid and very honest. And that's what MM says about GR, and maybe there is a chemistry between GR and MM that will give us {the Club} stability. To be fair to MM, previous managers have agreed to become manager and have accepted the givens, then clearly have deviated from the job description ("clearly Plan B became Plan A under Nigel Pearson, " ie Pearson didn't adhere to the vision he set out at interview so he went. And that is what MM has said each time. 

There are many bits of the interview that I like and am excited by; clearly MM is developing and etching in more detail around the Academy and the tiered structure to players, but what most excites me is the disclosure about the level of detail that GR brings eg the bit about Google Drive and the TV screens at Moor Farm. That tells me that GR has OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I don't mean literally and he needs to see a psychiatrist I mean figuratively. To succeed, you need to build "advantage" and "edge"; whilst Mac is a great coach, his vision didn't extend beyond the training pitch. In contrast to GR, who thinks vertically and horizontally about every aspect of the Football Club. He also believes in "Kaizen" ( (改善), is the Japanese word for "continuous improvement ". In business, kaizen refers to activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers. (My emphasis). This is what excites me most.

I hereby predict, and happy for this to be bookmarked, that we have found a manager in GR who will take this club forward and on to the next level. And because MM and GR think along very similar lines {unlike McClaren, Pearson, Clement}, I predict that their relationship will be a long and productive one. I don't make this prediction lightly out of some sentimental, rose-coloured-spectacled future. I just think that there is a meeting of minds at last that will work together and produce the goods for Derby County. :mellow:

Congratulations you've now officially become my 2nd favourite poster on here :cool:

19 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

I like Mel. 

Mel is good for DCFC . 

I love DCFC .. 

Newcastle United were a train wreck hitting the Championship ... with suspect owners ,,, 

Newcastle United invested in the team and they are now in the Prem ... 

Mel ... You've invested in DCFC .... but we are MID TABLE at best .... 

Why is that ? 

1) We have never spent 70 million in one off season
2) We like 99% of clubs across the world dont have the luxary of appointing one of the top managers in world football whose last job was Head coach at real madrid and has a champions league trophy on his CV

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

1) We have never spent 70 million in one off season
2) We like 99% of clubs across the world dont have the luxary of appointing one of the top managers in world football whose last job was Head coach at real madrid and has a champions league trophy on his CV

But we did have assistant head coach from Real Madrid and he fcuked it up....... ???

Think the comments on Pearson intrigued me the most, followed closely by the sheer attention to detail of Rowett - with a passing interest on the match content.

I get the point of the interview, show Mel in the best possible light, but I think he certainly showed some naïevity in hiring Pearson if he thought that said manager's main football philosophy would become Derby's Plan B. However, Mel can't have all the blame there - if Pearson sold himself to take on Mac's/Clement's system and tweak it (as it reads, to me at least) instead of what actually transpired then he's equally culpable.

Rowett (again, reading it with no bias) sounds like the perfect antidote to Mel. Pearson's a reactionary character. That was clear before he walked through the PPS doors - you must be an ostrich, player/fan confrontations - which combined with Mel sounds like a recipe for disaster, as it proved. Rowett is the opposite, thankfully. 

On the last point, are we going to create a Derby equivalent of Man Ure's MUFCTV or Liverpool's offering?

Archived