Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate losing, but at least GR knows what he is dealing with instead of the team playing out of their skin and papering over the cracks. I won't make suggestions about who should stay or go and just hope he is given the nod by Mel to do whatever he sees fit to get in the type of players we need and to shift out the players he doesn't want.

We started crap. Maclaren returned as a saviour. Then we bottled it again and went crap. Then there was still time for Rowett to come in as a saviour then we returned to crapness. Big job to completely gut and revamp this side, because that's what Rowett needs to do, if he's given the time. I bet some fans are turning against him already. 

Nothing new, predicted 2-0 so at least there's a plus with the goal. 

If Hughes makes in 2-0 different game? If we actually defend a lead, different game? Probably but we won't see any of that until next year anyway. Pretty much the story of our season, just not good enough in any area of the pitch. 

Another game down, 2 to go and then we can look forward to some wheeling and dealing over the summer. 

3 minutes ago, Stimacked said:

We started crap. Maclaren returned as a saviour. Then we bottled it again and went crap. Then there was still time for Rowett to come in as a saviour then we returned to crapness. Big job to completely gut and revamp this side, because that's what Rowett needs to do, if he's given the time. I bet some fans are turning against him already. 

I just hope that people realise after god knows now how many managers that its the players thatjust arnt as good as they/we think they are.

back the manager, time for the players to carry the can this time and suffer the consequences 

People talk about the players letting themselves down, but I really don't think they have. They just aren't quite good enough, and we need to stop deluding ourselves that they are. That doesn't mean they're letting themselves or us down, it just means they aren't good enough!

McClaren took an average bunch and had them playing above their level. That made us think they were better than they really were. Then we replaced players with others, spending a lot of money in doing so, raising expectation again. In reality those players were no better than what we had.

So we have a top third quality team who occasionally flatter to deceive. Arguably we are 7th plus or minus three places and that's pretty much where we've been all season.

When you look at it in those terms, it's not so disappointing  to finish 10th - apart from the money wasted. I'd say the last three years have been the best of the last 12 years. The last promotion season was pretty dire and the seasons before that were poor too. The last time I remember being entertained prior to the McClaren stints was in George Burley's time nearly 12 years ago.

12 minutes ago, ck- said:

So we have a top third quality team who occasionally flatter to deceive. Arguably we are 7th plus or minus three places and that's pretty much where we've been all season.

12th +/- 3

Just seen the highlights on the Sky website. I think Hughes was unlucky not to get the second goal. Just couldn't quite manage to get the ball out from underneath him. If we go 2-0 up there then it's a different game entirely.

Seems like there was a lack of communication for their first goal as it looked like both Pearce and Baird were marking the same man leaving a  man free at the far post for an easy knock-down back across goal.

Carson was poor for their second goal as he parried the cross straight to their player leaving an almost open goal for him to score.

Baird was unlucky not to get an equaliser too. Nice bit of play from Christie to create the crossing opportunity and deliver a good cross. Just a shame that it was one of our defenders on the end of it rather than one of our attacking players.

13 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

How did we actually play ?

Did we get dominated all game or were we unlucky not to get a point?

Unlucky not to get a point. The first half was pretty even, no real quality from either side but we held our own. Second half much better for 20 minutes and could have scored a few, then their change of shape and throwing everyone forward saw us concede possession and two pretty poor goals to concede (I think). The first goal they were piling the pressure on and we couldn't clear and the second it looked like Carson should've left Pearce to head the ball away but punched to their player, but it was a great finish. View wasn't great as they were scored at the other end but that's my opinion. 

Its funny really - against Birmingham we were absolutely poor, conceded control of the game and possession to the 2nd worst form team in the league and won, whilst today we played relatively well against a decent side and lost. Certainly thought all of the people texting in to radio Derby were being particularly miserable. 

Archived