Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County

Gritstone Ram

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Wish this season would just end now. Loved Rowett's comment about it the end of the season being a slow painful death. He knows what he has to do but needs the end of the season and the transfer market to do it.

Me too.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not being funny.....But shouldn't we really have held onto schteve rather than all change again...I mean, what's better?

The summer would have invigorated either manager but I'd have money on the Mac being the more fun to watch,which i kinds like spending my dosh on.

Interesting point.

he inherited a post-pearson mess and only had one transfer window to improve things 

he was also clearly frustrated that there was only one signing in that window.

Not surprisingly he has stated that he is angry about his sacking 

Sith Happens
Just now, RamNut said:

Interesting point.

he inherited a post-pearson mess and only had one transfer window to improve things 

he was also clearly frustrated that there was only one signing in that window.

Not surprisingly he has stated that he is angry about his sacking 

Agree, I hope Rowett does well and hes making the right noises, but i still feel the mcclaren sacking was premature. His downfall seems to have been the run he took us on to get on the play offs.

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Wish this season would just end now. Loved Rowett's comment about it the end of the season being a slow painful death. He knows what he has to do but needs the end of the season and the transfer market to do it.

I found that an odd comment.

added to the one about knowing what he needed to do on day one.

it is demotivating to players who probably now know who is in and who is out.

In hindsight i think this may explain the duff performance at Brentford and the poor results thereafter.

i'd find it hard to raise my game if i knew the manager had already made up his mind that i was out. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

In hindsight i think this may explain the duff performance at Brentford and the poor results thereafter.

i'd find it hard to raise my game if i knew the manager had already made up his mind that i was out. 

The players had the chance to impress. If they don't have the attitude of wanting to prove the manager wrong then they are welcome to leave. For too long our players have been over pampered and over rated.

A squad cull is long overdue, not sure how the players can be defended anymore.

Hughes goes down too easy as it is. Ive definetely lost count how many times theres slight contact on him and he goes down and gets nothing. Complaining with the usual "derby way" of waving his arms in the ear. Half the ones he does get, leaves the opposition in disbelief. Ince is the same.

24 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

The players had the chance to impress. If they don't have the attitude of wanting to prove the manager wrong then they are welcome to leave. For too long our players have been over pampered and over rated.

A squad cull is long overdue, not sure how the players can be defended anymore.

I'm not defending players. I'm questioning the managerial tactics.

i'd rather we had an attitude whereby the players are motivated to perform; where we go for it every game, and we finish on a high.

rather than "its a slow painful death". 

I'd like to look forward to the wolves game.

22 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Hughes goes down too easy as it is. Ive definetely lost count how many times theres slight contact on him and he goes down and gets nothing. Complaining with the usual "derby way" of waving his arms in the ear. Half the ones he does get, leaves the opposition in disbelief. Ince is the same.

Will doesn't go down too easy he must be the most fouled footballer in the Championship .

Regarding the penalty it wouldn't have been a dive as the clear contact put him off .

It doesn't have to be violent contact to be a penalty  

Freeze frame it  

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10847026/sheffield-wednesday-2-1-derby

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

well , the players who think they are leaving and who feel demotivated owe it to themselves to try and impress any manager who might be interested in them , no excuse for slackening off ,

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

And that might not even be enough to go exactly were he wants. I'm in no doubt we will see a vast improvement and I could be wrong GR could get it sorted in one window , but it will be a tough task. I think we could potentially see a squad change in personel of over 6 players this summer.

11 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not being funny.....But shouldn't we really have held onto schteve rather than all change again...I mean, what's better?

The summer would have invigorated either manager but I'd have money on the Mac being the more fun to watch,which i kinds like spending my dosh on.

I get where you're coming from - I think what did for McClaren was the similarity to 14/15 where the team crumbled, and the availability of Rowett (who Mel liked while Rush advocated for McClaren). Had Schteve got the same points on an even spread I'm sure he'd be looking at the summer trimming and up and coming players to freshen the squad.

I do actually think Rowett's side next year are going to be quite fun because we'll still have a good quality of player even after the trimming, be committed, be better than the sum of parts (which we have never really been since Wembley). 

11 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It was never going to be about the instant improvement, it was about having the right man in charge this summer to rebuild. The rest of the season was dead rubber either way, but I wouldn't have trusted Mac to be the man to rebuild the team and I think Mel thought the same way.

No disrespect to him as a coach, his teams are good to watch however, as I've said before, his tactics aren't suited to the modern companionship anymore, and he isn't tactically aware enough to adapt them. Rowett is young, his ideas are fresh and whilst they may not be as good to watch, I believe they will be more effective. We've already seen so far we've been much more effective with our possession than under Mac, and I think that will only get better once a new team is in.

Simply put, we had a great coach in Mac who could get the best out of players, but even the best out of the current squad wouldn't be enough. We've now got a great manager, and it's that manager part that's key, he's a tactician, an analyst, and I think he knows exactly how to fix this mess

Came into work this morning and one of my Blades mate who went on the Kop to cheer us on yesterday, couldn't believe how poor both teams were.

He's been with me a couple of times to Pride Park,last one being against Bolton last year and he couldn't believe how much we have gone backwards.

That depressed me,I thought we were just very average,obviously just very rubbish.

McClaren's tactics aren't suited to the modern Championship? 

We were midtable. Then we weren't

We were down at the bottom and then we weren't.  

He left here the first time with over 50% win ratio.

What exactly makes Rowett so much better? What is it in his record that's so amazing that Mac hasn't got?

Just now, Alpha said:

What exactly makes Rowett so much better? What is it in his record that's so amazing that Mac hasn't got?

Lets just wait and see. 

You may be right you may be wrong. 

18 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Came into work this morning and one of my Blades mate who went on the Kop to cheer us on yesterday, couldn't believe how poor both teams were.

He's been with me a couple of times to Pride Park,last one being against Bolton last year and he couldn't believe how much we have gone backwards.

That depressed me,I thought we were just very average,obviously just very rubbish.

I wasn't there yesterday but I will be at Rotherham. 

Whilst Wednesday should have been on their game can you really read much into our performance? Even GR said the remainder of the season is like a slow death. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Teams can soak up possession, it's all changed in the space of a few years. When he came in first time 433 was practically unknown in this league and teams had no idea how to beat it, but now tactics have changed, which has inadvertently negated 433 in this league. First time round it was perfect, exactly the right man for the job, but now more and more teams play counter attacking football in the league, not in response to the 433 might I add, however it does a job on it. Wouldn't be a problem if we adapted how we played it, but it didn't seem Mac knew what to do, and that's why he hasn't been trusted on the rebuild IMO.

Nothing on rowett existing record suggests that he is that much better than Mac no, and that's why this is a risk. He knows this job will make or break him, he seems very tactically aware and I can certainly see why Mel has gone for him, but I'm sure rowett knows as well as anyone that if he doesn't get this rebuild right, he'll be out the window faster that Tyrone mears! Everything rides on the summer window, his career and our future, it could be amazing or it could fall apart. Let's hope it's the former!

Archived