Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

50 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Actually I think Rowett is very happy with Martin in his current role, especially the whole 'different options' philosophy. The problem is he's on very high wages and wants regular first team football. 

Rowett obviously rates him, he just prefers Nugent and Winnall more as they suit his system a lot more. Only a fool wouldn't rate Martin.

Think we all know 2 or 3 of those don't we?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Papahet said:

Bet we are paying close to 150k a week on Martin, Bent, Anya and Shackell. As a Championship club thats utter ridiculous money.

Sam Rush had a wordie here -Should get sent down for those contracts alone

If you add Blackman Butterfield and Johnson into the pot then yes we probably are!

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Very happy to use him for 5 minutes ?

Okay then I rate him too - good flicker good hold up good diff option - but like GR I believe he doesn’t fit in our system of winning football so let’s shift him ... feel better? 

That was a perfect opportunity to show you actually had a clue about football. Simply say something about how he doesn't fit into GR's system, which for the majority of the game requires fairly mobile forwards that harry defenders and break quickly. Later on he clearly prefers his strikers to hold the ball up and be a physical nuisance, which is why he's obviously brought in Jerome. 

Yet you had to have another stab. You have such a chip on your shoulder it's depressing.

Derby County - very predictable but very unstoppable.

Military approach to defending is in place

Annoyingly stable midfield now in place

SAS approach to attacking now in place

Bully boy option in their box will be ready when Cameron and Sam are being extremely annoying for last 30 minutes in most games.

One more mobile midfielder, an experienced goalkeeper and a top class winger and we could catch Wolves

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Bully boy option in their box will be ready when Cameron and Sam are being extremely annoying for last 30 minutes in most games.

One more mobile midfielder, an experienced goalkeeper and a top class winger and we could catch Wolves

well put, needn't cost a fortune either.

Are you over 30?

Are you being overlooked and written off?

Do they say that your legs have gone?

Are you ready to give everything to get a famous team promoted?

Gary Rowett says - Come on down. The Price is Right. Points means prizes. Nice to see you, to see you nice.

Gary Rowett is only ten years older than some of these dudes. 

Anyone remember the Southampton side full of over 30 's. Mike Channon and co.

25 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Carson now in place. oops!

Rowett new contract now in place

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

That was a perfect opportunity to show you actually had a clue about football. Simply say something about how he doesn't fit into GR's system, which for the majority of the game requires fairly mobile forwards that harry defenders and break quickly. Later on he clearly prefers his strikers to hold the ball up and be a physical nuisance, which is why he's obviously brought in Jerome. 

Yet you had to have another stab. You have such a chip on your shoulder it's depressing.

“Hold the ball up and be a nuisance” is not clearly why he went and got Jerome.

2 threads sort of merge here so I'll try and stay on topic. 

Jerome signing I get - he's a slight differation to what we have rather than Martin who is a complete differation.

My problems are:-

losing a different option if plan A isn't working, or if we lose Vydra for any amount of time and just have several similar players to switch around.

losing the ability to bring someone on who can keep the ball away from our goal when we're clinging on to a game 

giving rivals a helping hand to catch us if we wobble. We shouldn't really consider letting him go to anyone above 14th. There are still 6 or 7 reasonably big teams down there who could afford him. The only way I'd consider hom going higher than that (Premiership aside) is in a deal that really benefits us - ie. involves a player that improves us to the extent we should become a better side, or is such ridiculous money we could sign that player.

If the whole thing is just a temporary move anyway why bother. Send Winnall back, assuming Jerome will be ahead of him anyway both now and in planning for next year, arse Buttercup out elsewhere, and keep Martin who we can trust in as an option until we are up. Seems to have a better attitude than Winnall.

Okay so we take a hit on wages but it's a worthwhile gamble for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I would personally keep until end if season let's get promotion in the bag.

However if Gary is hellbent on letting him go, (which I'm not saying he is) then sell not loan. Loans achieve nothing. Fulham have allegedly 15m in their back pocket ready to bid for Dwight Gayle but I would see if they want Chris permanently, look for atleast 7m not a penny less.

In other news, kieftenbeld has signed a new contract so that puts that to bed, sorry for going off topic but cba to start a new thread.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

If the whole thing is just a temporary move anyway why bother. Send Winnall back, assuming Jerome will be ahead of him anyway both now and in planning for next year, arse Buttercup out elsewhere, and keep Martin who we can trust in as an option until we are up. Seems to have a better attitude than Winnall.

What do you base that on? How does Martin seem to have a better attitude than Winnall? The Forestieri incident when he was at Wednesday? 

46 minutes ago, Sat Atwal said:

However if Gary is hellbent on letting him go, (which I'm not saying he is) then sell not loan. Loans achieve nothing. Fulham have allegedly 15m in their back pocket ready to bid for Dwight Gayle but I would see if they want Chris permanently, look for atleast 7m not a penny less.

In other news, kieftenbeld has signed a new contract so that puts that to bed, sorry for going off topic but cba to start a new thread.

Has he signed a new contract?

More likely he’s just switched his broadband to Talk Talk.

3 hours ago, Rampage said:

an experienced goalkeeper? :blink: Carson?!

2 hours ago, Sat Atwal said:

Withe vydra certain to start when fit, wil we really have Nugent , Winnall, Martin and Jerome competing for one place? So three of them on the bench? I dont think so. 

4 hours ago, Rample said:

Jerome signing I get - he's a slight differation to what we have rather than Martin who is a complete differation.

losing a different option if plan A isn't working, or if we lose Vydra for any amount of time and just have several similar players to switch around.

losing the ability to bring someone on who can keep the ball away from our goal when we're clinging on to a game 

giving rivals a helping hand to catch us if we wobble. We shouldn't really consider letting him go to anyone above 14th. There are still 6 or 7 reasonably big teams down there who could afford him. The only way I'd consider hom going higher than that (Premiership aside) is in a deal that really benefits us - ie. involves a player that improves us to the extent we should become a better side, or is such ridiculous money we could sign that player.

Okay so we take a hit on wages but it's a worthwhile gamble for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Lawrence can play the 10 role if necessary and its important we keep Winnall.

Our attack of 4 from  Russell,Lawrence,Winnall,Nugent,Vydra,Weimann,Martin,Jerome  is pretty awesome even if we lost Martin now ( and seriously doubt it will be a premiership team ) it looks good but if you took Winnall out of it it doesn't look quite so good for me as his contribution has been game changing and where is the evidence that Winnall has a questionable attitude ?

I do get the bit about having someone to hold the ball up though

4 hours ago, Rample said:

I don't know which of that paragraph I'd disagree with more.

Jerome won't be ahead of Winnall. We're not planning a future with Jerome. He's here as backup to help us get over the line this season.

Martin isn't a safer bet than Winnall if the object is to score goals, which over the last few months Winnall has done and Martin hasn't.

And to say Martin's attitude is better than Winnall's? I've no idea how you could possibly come to that conclusion.

I'm with you on Butterfield though, and if Martin does leave, yes, send him as far down the table as possible.

Archived