When do you give up on the playoffs?

Chester40

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
19 hours ago, Davide said:

Just looked at the table. Not even on 60 points yet. Don't want to appear defeatist but playoffs went weeks ago. Really poor season this year, just a shame we haven't competed consistently. 

The problem isn't the points total... Blackpool got promoted having finished their 46 games on 70 points... We could well get another 11 points from next 6 games. Problem is that wendies and fulham are so far ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We win every game left in the season, we make them imo. Incredibly tough ask, but if we manage it I'd 100% back us to win them, with that level of form and our squad it'd be the Derby way to finally do it:lol:

Stop it, it's the hope that kills you!

I had given up on playoffs after Burton game. Now just pleased to see good performances and results again, and enjoying a little bit of hope again about the playoffs. Realistically - we need to win all 6 matches, tough ask but we have won 7 in a row already this season.

I think Fulham will get the final spot

I'd say the consensus on here has been that we need to win all our games (which would make it a historic and record-breaking 8-match winning run so it really isn't going to happen) just to give us a slim chance. What that does mean is that after tonight, Norwich are out of it. 99% either Wendies or Fulham and then a tiny chance for either us or Preston.

Last year you needed 74 points (Wednesday) to get into the PO. Season before where we choked on the last day (sorry), 78. 

Currently on 59, so we can't actually get the 78! 

I think it can only be positive. We aren't really being considered as contenders by anyone (a decent Saturday and that could change), so it gives the players a free ticket. It allows us to build momentum for next season, and it's clear that Rowett is still mentioning it, as the players seem very open in talking about it in interviews. 

I think we need 5 wins and a draw to stand a decent chance, with favourable results elsewhere, also. 

Looking at our fixture list, I just can't see it. I think we'll beat Birmingham, which is going to build the hype. Brentford are absolutely flying, so going there is going to be so tough. Huddersfield were very good tonight, but I fancy us at home. Wednesday is obviously the main one if we get to that game with a sniff, again, very tough, could end up being very open in a scenario where both sides have to win. Wolves have won 5 on the bounce so again will be difficult, but at home, I fancy us. Rotherham should be a win. 

Birmingham (W)

Brentford (D)

Huddersfield (W)

Wednesday (L) 

Wolves (W)

Rotherham (W)

That would give us 72 points. Leicester got in with 68 in 12/13, Brighton with 72 in 13/14. Obviously these past totals mean little, as the complexions of the tables can be very different year on year. 

Who knows what can happen. If anything, it's a momentum grower for next season, and it adds a bit of excitement to what was 3 weeks ago, a dull end to the season. 

Come on you Rams (and every side facing Wednesday, Fulham and Preston)! 

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Last year you needed 74 points (Wednesday) to get into the PO. Season before where we choked on the last day (sorry), 78. 

Currently on 59, so we can't actually get the 78! 

I think it can only be positive. We aren't really being considered as contenders by anyone (a decent Saturday and that could change), so it gives the players a free ticket. It allows us to build momentum for next season, and it's clear that Rowett is still mentioning it, as the players seem very open in talking about it in interviews. 

I think we need 5 wins and a draw to stand a decent chance, with favourable results elsewhere, also. 

Looking at our fixture list, I just can't see it. I think we'll beat Birmingham, which is going to build the hype. Brentford are absolutely flying, so going there is going to be so tough. Huddersfield were very good tonight, but I fancy us at home. Wednesday is obviously the main one if we get to that game with a sniff, again, very tough, could end up being very open in a scenario where both sides have to win. Wolves have won 5 on the bounce so again will be difficult, but at home, I fancy us. Rotherham should be a win. 

Birmingham (W)

Brentford (D)

Huddersfield (W)

Wednesday (L) 

Wolves (W)

Rotherham (W)

That would give us 72 points. Leicester got in with 68 in 12/13, Brighton with 72 in 13/14. Obviously these past totals mean little, as the complexions of the tables can be very different year on year. 

Who knows what can happen. If anything, it's a momentum grower for next season, and it adds a bit of excitement to what was 3 weeks ago, a dull end to the season. 

Come on you Rams (and every side facing Wednesday, Fulham and Preston)! 

We also happen to have a very good record away at Wednesday so I wouldn't write that one off just yet. Their win v Rotherham was their first in a few so their form hasn't been great.

Always a chance. 

On 04/04/2017 at 02:24, Duracell said:

If we do make the top 6, the story won't be about Derby's amazing run to the flag, but rather how the teams above us managed to screw it up.

Doesn't mean it's not possible, but it's already out of our hands.

And they'd be reporting it correctly too.

I posed this question this morning to some fellow Australian Derby fans: if luck falls our way and we manage to sneak in to 6th, how would you genuinely feel if we eliminated 3rd and proceeded to the playoff final?

I have commented in the past that I cannot comprehend those supporters who at times seem to suggest that promotion could be a bad thing.

I have possibly even questioned the rationality of such thought processes....

And yet....

I find myself with the nagging doubt that, as wonderfully miraculous as it would be for Derby to squeeze into the playoffs and, once there, it goes without saying that you give it everything you have to win the third promotion spot..

But I find myself thinking that would be a terrible outcome for Derby.

We have just made the call that we must overhaul this squad for it to improve. I can't think of a side being less ready for making a decent fist of promotion to the premiership....since us under the Poison Dwarf.

I know that it is as close to the perfect certainty that the gap, plus the necessity of  all of the Wendies, Fulham and Preston to implode, cannot be overcome.

But I am honestly finding it both absurd and troubling that, having lampooned people who would seemingly prefer to reject promotion for years, I find myself thinking in this way...

Am I just being silly? After all, it is as close to impossible as it can ever be that we could squeak in as an in firm side....

13 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

I posed this question this morning to some fellow Australian Derby fans: if luck falls our way and we manage to sneak in to 6th, how would you genuinely feel if we eliminated 3rd and proceeded to the playoff final?

I have commented in the past that I cannot comprehend those supporters who at times seem to suggest that promotion could be a bad thing.

I have possibly even questioned the rationality of such thought processes....

And yet....

I find myself with the nagging doubt that, as wonderfully miraculous as it would be for Derby to squeeze into the playoffs and, once there, it goes without saying that you give it everything you have to win the third promotion spot..

But I find myself thinking that would be a terrible outcome for Derby.

We have just made the call that we must overhaul this squad for it to improve. I can't think of a side being less ready for making a decent fist of promotion to the premiership....since us under the Poison Dwarf.

I know that it is as close to the perfect certainty that the gap, plus the necessity of  all of the Wendies, Fulham and Preston to implode, cannot be overcome.

But I am honestly finding it both absurd and troubling that, having lampooned people who would seemingly prefer to reject promotion for years, I find myself thinking in this way...

Am I just being silly? After all, it is as close to impossible as it can ever be that we could squeak in as an in firm side....

I agree completely that we are no way ready for the prem and it would almost be a travesty if we snuck I at the expense of team that have been there consistently all season but that's football. 

If we some how went up I hope we wouldn't go all out crazy buying more expensive players hoping to stay up, yes we would need to add to the squad to. Or embarrass ourselves. Maybe 3 players in key positions. The trick is assembling a squad that would be able to make a fist of going straight back up the following season. Being a yoyo club has done no harm to Burnley and WBA. The problem is you don't get the chance to be a yoyo club unless you make it up first.

I hope we play well between now and the end of the season purely to make us a more attractive proposition for any new players we want to attract. The play-offs are out of reach.

There are clearly areas in defence and midfield we need to improve upon and I would suggest further competition in goal.

We need some stronger characters who will ensure that the last ten minutes are not watched through fingers.

And can we have a few who can head the ball?!

There are various permutations which everyone can look into and the one I will take is the current form one. So over the last six games the following teams have collected : 

sheff wed 8pts

fulham 8pts

preston 9pts

derby 11pts

so if that was mirrored into the final six games the final points tally would be

sheff wed 74pts

fulham 72pts

Preston 70pts

derby 70 pts

sorry to disappoint you but that's my take on it. 

Having said that i still think there is a twist coming on Saturday. I do believe both Fulham and Derby will win Saturday so the pressure on sheff wed against Newcastle in the evening kick off will be massive. The gap in my opinion will be reduced to 5 pts come Saturday night with Fulham in the box seat. 

Archived