When do you give up on the playoffs?

Chester40

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, unclej said:

When did I give up on the play-offs? When I watch our defense. I want us to go nowhere near the Premiership with any of our back four.

If we somehow got promoted this season, I would fully expect most of our first team to be changed. 

2 minutes ago, unclej said:

When did I give up on the play-offs? When I watch our defense. I want us to go nowhere near the Premiership with any of our back four.

Especially when they are being protected by a two man midfield and get little help from a hesitant keeper.

What I meant was, if a manager is starting to do well, then faces that impossible task of the premiership, then around January the panic button always gets pushed. Even if long term Rowett is the man for the job, Id hate for him to go for that reason.

2 hours ago, unclej said:

Didn't this team break the club record for back to back home clean sheets? That's a little bit harsh all in all. Teams defend as a unit, so if we concede from corners etc it's our whole team who must bare the brunt of it, not just the defence. Arguably, we shouldn't be giving them corners in the first place! 

PistoldPete2

One of the reasons why we are highly unlikely to get into the play offs , apart from the points gap, is the fact that we have four away games to come . Our away form has been terrible, especially lately. We need to turn things round dramatically away from home or else any flickering play off hopes will be quickly extinguished.

of course beating brum and the wendies would make it a big turnaround if we can pull it off. 

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Didn't this team break the club record for back to back home clean sheets? That's a little bit harsh all in all. Teams defend as a unit, so if we concede from corners etc it's our whole team who must bare the brunt of it, not just the defence. Arguably, we shouldn't be giving them corners in the first place! 

Just watch them, that's all.

10 hours ago, unclej said:

Who took the jam outta your doughnut? I don't think for one moment we will make play offs, but new manager, new dawn and all that, lets be more positive . I will give up on play offs when we mathematically can't make them, simple as that. 

4 point gap to Wednesday tonight?! Still to go to Hillsborough

Fulham have a gimme today

Norwich are gone 

Leeds can get sucked in, Preston today

2 spots up for grabs from 5, Leeds Wednesday Fulham Preston Derby

Huddersfield at home, Wednesday away could be huge

Wednesday Fulham last game

I fancy us still 

Not many mentions of Preston in this thread, they have a big say of what will happen in the promotion hunt, their next 4 games are Leeds, Huddersfield, Norwich and Newcastle with same last 2 as us (obviously the other way round) Rotherham and Wolves.

hi all

This could go right to the wire, here is why.

To my surprise & delight we might still be in with a shout of 6th.

Leaving aside the other teams in contention, it probably comes down to us v Sheff Wed for 6th place.  I don't think Preston or Fulham have what it takes to mount a final surge.

If we win 5 and draw 1 (say Huddersfield) that gives us 75 points.

If Wednesday lose to Newcastle, Fulham and us but win their other 3 games that gives them 75 points.

They are 5 ahead on goal difference right now but if we can make that up then a superior goal difference could see us in 6th on the last day provided we can get 5 convincing wins and Wednesday ship a few goals.

It's a testament to Rowett's impact that we are even able to speculate thus, when a month ago I thought we had blown it for sure.  I'm very glad to be possibly proved wrong!

Us v Wednesday is the make or break match of the final run in, never have the words MUST WIN been more appropriate.

COYR

LR2

Archived