When do you give up on the playoffs?

Chester40

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think our season will fizzle out Seth, I think there are some players quite aware they are playing for their futures at the club. I will be amazed if anybody puts in an already on the beach performance with Rowett taking stock for next season.

Hmmm, i had a look at the 'competitions' fixtures, none have an easy run in.. Wednesday arguably the easiest

I didn't add Norwich cos looking at their fixtures they might not get another point lol

Fulham have -

Derby. Ipswich. Norwich. Aston Villa. Huddersfield. Brentford

Wednesday Have -

Rotherham. Newcastle. Cardiff. Queens Park Rangers. Derby. Ipswich.

PNE have -

Bristol City. Leeds. Huddersfield. Norwich. Newcastle. Rotherham.

So it is possible we will be close .... but i think Wednesday will get 6th

i am not figuring on playoffs anymore, yeah it's possible if we win every game to come and others slip up considerably, but likely it's not and i'm fine with that.  i would like Rowett to have a chance of preparing well for next season in the Championship, add what he considers improving us and gets rid of those who will not be in his plans

19 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Without the playoffs as it is the Championship would be a bore. They would at least have to cut the league down to 20, as having extra games with nothing to play for would put fans off. Somebody like Cardiff or QPR, the season would have been over for them by New Year if it was a straight three up, three down.

Also I don't really think how well you do in the Championship has much bearing on potential in the PL.

Sunderland twice won the Championship before going on to get record low points, while Stoke and Hull both got promoted with less points than our BD side yet stayed up the following season.

You arent wrong.

I dont see it as a bad thing that several teams feel they have nothing to play for in the final 5 games. So what, it means they werent drawn into relegation and arent good enough to be promotion contenders, someone has to finish midtable.

Perhaps having less teams in a league is another question. I personally think 24 in a league belongs to the old 92 club era, and should have been ditched to modernise. If you have 20 or 18 in a league like in every other league in Europe, not only would players be fresher for World Cups, Euros, and champion league games, it would also mean teams wouldnt feel the need to "priortise" a certain competition during the season, or field 12 changes for cup games which totally undermines it.

Creating an extra league in the EFL as was proposed was a step in the right direction and needs to happen IMO. The whole argument from owners being concerned about loss in income, is disappointing if only the PL money could filter down better or better TV rights for the EFL then maybe this wouldnt be an issue. 46 league games in a season is madness in this day and age, as our season is already too long compared to any other team sport in the world. Seriously players get around 1 month off, maybe 6 weeks without a playoff compaign before they are reporting for pre-season again. Madness!

5 hours ago, jagerbob said:

You arent wrong.

I dont see it as a bad thing that several teams feel they have nothing to play for in the final 5 games. So what, it means they werent drawn into relegation and arent good enough to be promotion contenders, someone has to finish midtable.

Perhaps having less teams in a league is another question. I personally think 24 in a league belongs to the old 92 club era, and should have been ditched to modernise. If you have 20 or 18 in a league like in every other league in Europe, not only would players be fresher for World Cups, Euros, and champion league games, it would also mean teams wouldnt feel the need to "priortise" a certain competition during the season, or field 12 changes for cup games which totally undermines it.

Creating an extra league in the EFL as was proposed was a step in the right direction and needs to happen IMO. The whole argument from owners being concerned about loss in income, is disappointing if only the PL money could filter down better or better TV rights for the EFL then maybe this wouldnt be an issue. 46 league games in a season is madness in this day and age, as our season is already too long compared to any other team sport in the world. Seriously players get around 1 month off, maybe 6 weeks without a playoff compaign before they are reporting for pre-season again. Madness!

Interesting thoughts. Why have 24...no reason just way it is.

Take it down to 20 and have a league 3 with few teams from conference. 

You could also have 4 or even 5 teams come up and down every year. If all the leagues were more fluid and it wasnt so difficult to get back up teams might genuinely go for it more rather just trying to be 4th bottom...and they wouldn't all ignore the cups for fear of going down.

Whats wrong with greatly increased mobility between leagues..just convention and fear keeps it as it is.

On 01/04/2017 at 19:58, Chester40 said:

Just me finding myself slyly looking at permutations...other teams fixtures.. thinking would I rather Forest beat or lose to a rival..

Is that mad? 

Or is it only when it's mathematically gone? What about if we beat Fulham..game on?? ...or get a good hiding - is it over then?? 

I've still not given Oooop :ph34r:

Archived