When do you give up on the playoffs?

Chester40

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We win every game left in the season, we make them imo. Incredibly tough ask, but if we manage it I'd 100% back us to win them, with that level of form and our squad it'd be the Derby way to finally do it:lol:

Then the revisionist historians would start the "foundations laid by Nigel Pearson..... Give him back his glow" line of alternative facts.....

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When do you give up on the play offs???  When it becomes mathematically impossible to be in them.  Until then, if the manager & players are confident of getting there, let 'em try.  Much rather have the team play games with something riding on it, or the next 6 games becomes an elongated pre-season.  It's improbable, not impossible...

24 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

There are various permutations which everyone can look into and the one I will take is the current form one. So over the last six games the following teams have collected : 

sheff wed 8pts

fulham 8pts

preston 9pts

derby 11pts

so if that was mirrored into the final six games the final points tally would be

sheff wed 74pts

fulham 72pts

Preston 70pts

derby 70 pts

sorry to disappoint you but that's my take on it. 

Having said that i still think there is a twist coming on Saturday. I do believe both Fulham and Derby will win Saturday so the pressure on sheff wed against Newcastle in the evening kick off will be massive. The gap in my opinion will be reduced to 5 pts come Saturday night with Fulham in the box seat. 

and their run in is extremely difficult ,this can be done coyr

21 hours ago, Kennington Ram said:

I think it'll be about momentum though, the play-offs - I think they'll set themselves a target of rumbling into the play-offs without fear or concerns about form etc as we did both recent seasons.

I used to think it was about Momentum. Then I watched much closer the last few years play off games which changed my mind. It tends to be a tournament of its own. You might say form goes out the window in a cup tie. To me the play offs are more like a brand new tournament, and its about not losing, keeping it tight and not throwing it away (which we did, by conceding that third against Hull)

1 hour ago, Charlie G said:

There are various permutations which everyone can look into and the one I will take is the current form one. So over the last six games the following teams have collected : 

sheff wed 8pts

fulham 8pts

preston 9pts

derby 11pts

so if that was mirrored into the final six games the final points tally would be

sheff wed 74pts

fulham 72pts

Preston 70pts

derby 70 pts

sorry to disappoint you but that's my take on it. 

Having said that i still think there is a twist coming on Saturday. I do believe both Fulham and Derby will win Saturday so the pressure on sheff wed against Newcastle in the evening kick off will be massive. The gap in my opinion will be reduced to 5 pts come Saturday night with Fulham in the box seat. 

Good way of putting it.

Even if we win every game near enough, the gap is still too big, with too fewer games remaining.
Teams above us could end up with a 50% points haul and still out last us. I quite fancy us to claw back Preston along with Norwich which we already seem to have done. But think Fulham and Wednesday could be a bridge too far, especially getting past both of them!

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But mathematically (so also in reality) it is still possible! :whistle:

I guess it could be exciting, as we seem to have a bit of a mojo back. Confidence is growing with performances and results. QPR and Fulham were two of the most inform sides in the division and we deserved to beat both, and did. Blues are in freefall so im confident of another win there.

16 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

The problem isn't the points total... Blackpool got promoted having finished their 46 games on 70 points... We could well get another 11 points from next 6 games. Problem is that wendies and fulham are so far ahead. 

Yeh, but also for this time of the season any team who hasn't reached 60 points will really be up against it. But yeh the gap is too big. 

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:30, PistoldPete2 said:

The problem isn't the points total... Blackpool got promoted having finished their 46 games on 70 points... We could well get another 11 points from next 6 games. Problem is that wendies and fulham are so far ahead. 

Don't want to sound negative, however we managed to contrive to finish 8th with 77 points two seasons ago.

4 minutes ago, ONEPIEGON said:

Don't want to sound negative, however we managed to contrive to finish 8th with 77 points two seasons ago.

But not long before that, Hull got automatic promotion on 78 points. 

People stop need to looking what the number of points for the play offs were a few years ago. The gap between the top teams in the championship and the lower teams has grown bigger which inevitably means that the bigger teams will have more points. 

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Congratulations for this season by the way mate. You really deserve it after the semi-final heartache you had to endure last year.

I know it's looking good but can't celebrate just yet. I think we need at least 3 points from our next two games (QPR / Wolves away) and neither will be easy. Wolves in particular in great form at the moment. 

That said, I have a hunch there'll be thousands at the Amex watching your game against Huddersfield on Sky where a Derby win could perhaps see us over the line.

18 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I agree completely that we are no way ready for the prem and it would almost be a travesty if we snuck I at the expense of team that have been there consistently all season but that's football. 

If we some how went up I hope we wouldn't go all out crazy buying more expensive players hoping to stay up, yes we would need to add to the squad to. Or embarrass ourselves. Maybe 3 players in key positions. The trick is assembling a squad that would be able to make a fist of going straight back up the following season. Being a yoyo club has done no harm to Burnley and WBA. The problem is you don't get the chance to be a yoyo club unless you make it up first.

I could not give a flying continental about the injustice of it...as you say, that's football. I don't even tend to use the travesty line when Derby are the victims of the said travesty.

In my (perhaps slightly harsh) view, once you stop wallowing in the travesties visited upon you and try to learn what you can from all that transpired, the travesties inevitably end up resulting from an inability to take your opportunities when they did present themselves.

As for that damn gypsy curse, that's an entirely different matter....

Archived